Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After attempting to ride over Imogene Pass from Ouray this last weekend, I dropped the bike (adv-n00b here). After making it back to pavement, I noticed the handlebars were slightly askew. The forks and wheel felt true on the 300 mile ride home. The bars actually look unbent but it appears the risers (brackets mounting the bars to the upper triple clamp) have deformed some degree (5-8 degrees off). My questions are: is it likely that the threads in the triple clamp are deformed or the risers themselves? Is it possible to bend the bars back to neutral? Was is the danger with riding with askew bars?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Try pulling the bolts and seeing if they're bent. The bars are rubber mounted so they have some play - may have just shifted.

Also - make sure your wheel/forks are truly aligned. There's a u-tube vid on this. Basically loosening triple tree bolts and putting pressure on the front end to shift everything into place. Maybe slightly more involved, but not much.

·
Registered
37 Posts
300 miles from Ouray... hmm... if you're anywhere close to south Denver, I have a set of risers that may work for you buried in the garage.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I've seen this on a brand new showroom bike. There is some slop in the rubber handlebar bushings. Just give it a firm twist and it should be straight again.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fixed! (mostly)

I removed the bars and risers and checked the riser bolts for bends, nothing visible from eying it and rolling it. Reinstalled and they are within 3-5 degree of center. Good enough for me! Thanks everyone for the advice and info!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the same issue. It took me a while to figuret out so I took bike into the stealership. The issue was a bent handlebar.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Going to be waiting for later in the season. Here's a taste of the experience that weekend.
Yikes! I took my Jeep down it a few years back in early July and it was pretty nice. The pucker factor is real though. >:) Did you get a picture of BB from Imogene? Those switchbacks still blow my mind.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I hit a guy on a bicycle who ran a red light then panic stopped between cars forcing me to T-bone him. I ripped a 6 ft stoppie and almost got to 0 mph, but there was enough force left to warp the top cover plate on the risers from the fall. The bar end was lightly damaged, so I thought only the rubber mounts got knocked askew. Two hours were spent figuring out why the bars would not center. Pull the top riser clamp and set it on a flat surface to check that it is level.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yikes! I took my Jeep down it a few years back in early July and it was pretty nice. The pucker factor is real though. >:) Did you get a picture of BB from Imogene? Those switchbacks still blow my mind.
Never got to the top of Imogene. About 1m away I decided to turn around after the aforementioned tip-over. If anyone's using Instagram, I have a bunch of pics at @John_lindmark.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts