Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen this weekends WSB races yet, but in my mind Spies is going to go down in history as one of the best racers ever. I think he will take the title this year in his rookie season WSB, and next year he'll be in Motogp. If he gets the satellite yamaha ride I think he will regularly challenge Rossi, Lorenzo, and Stoner for wins. I first thought this about Ben in 2008 in all the AMA races, he was regulary beating mladin and now to go to WSB and be a consistent front runner... The guy is just awesome. He has an amazing ability to just get stronger and stronger as the race wears on while the other riders get slower... Many times his fastest laps come with only 1 or 2 laps left in the race. Rossi does this also, I think Spies could potentially be as good as Rossi. Anyone disagree? I would like to hear why.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Spies is pretty amazing, no doubt. If he didn't have issues with his bike, he would have won every race this year, with nobody even encroaching on his territory. He has someone to thank for it though... Mat Mladin is pretty much Ben Spies personal trainer and has been for years. If you have competition like Mladin, your forced into becoming a good rider.

Spies has done everything right. He found a good working team, brought them to the WSBK series and here he is; Superpole king, race winning genius. Shit, he's never seen these tracks and is amazing!

Yet, in all his glory, he's still managed to crash 2 times on his own and twice by being pushed off track. He's also been unable to take away championship points from Haga due to failures and "strange happenings". Haga, the crash man, has only been down and out by his own accord ONE time. It happened at a great time in the championship where he has over 2 months to rest up (with one race in between) and by Germany, he'll be ready to lead yet again. The other time Haga was out, he hit a bird at Monza which took him out of race one.

Ben is going to start pushing even harder. He knows the championship is on the table and has been offered a ride on Yamaha factory squad as well (hush-hush) if he wins the 2009 WSBK title. Ben has said publicly, he doesn't care about the championship, just winning races, but in reality its not the truth. He is focused at winning this season so he can move on quickly and leave WSBK with all its old-men behind.

Ya know... I personally don't like Ben Spies. Ever notice, after the race, he doesn't spray champaign everywhere and gloat in his winnings? He walks off stage or sprays it at the audience. At Kaylami, Haga and Fabrizio literally attacked the umbrella girls on the podium with champaign it was absolutely the funniest thing since Haga said he was too old for this shit! LOL :D Ben is just no fun to listen to, he doesn't wanna partake in any other fun activities, he just seems lifeless to me. He does is job, is VERY good at it and goes home afterwards.

To me, to be the best racer in the world, you need to have a certain charisma. If Ben was from some obscure country, everybody would just say the same thing; Man he's amazing. But because he's American, he gets a lot more publicity and respect then the average other rider. For Smrz was the only guy to beat Spies in Superpole this season and he gets no credit...

Spies won't be the next Rossi. In fact, if Spies ends up going to MotoGP in 2010, I bet Rossi signs a contract for another 2 years JUST so he can beat Spies and put all of that to rest. Will Spies be up front in 2010 if he races? Yea, maybe top 5 sure... But he won't dominate. Don't forget, the reason why Spies dominates in WSBK is because he's use to that type of bike and riding style. The MotoGP machine is totally different.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I agree Spies has incredible talent and as Tye stated if it were not for a couple crashes etc. he would be in the lead. That said the number one rule in racing is you can't win if you don't finish.

As for his personality, I disagree with Tye a tad. Yes he is a little more reserved but during each of his interviews he seems genuine and gives appropriate credit/prpos where it is due. I think he is just somewhat introverted and its a little refreshing too me. No need to be a media darling, he does his talking on the track. Also you never know after some time in the series or at this level he might come out of his shell a little. We need to remember that this is a mid twenties young man who for the first time in his life most likely is traveling all over the world which is a new experience.

Lastly, its not a fair comparison to say he is as good as Rossi. He needs to race Moto Gp first and when he gets 100 wins under his belt then we can start comparing. I stated this in a different post but you are watching history each time Rossi wins because he will most likely go down as the best Moto GP rider of this century or maybe any century for that matter. Those are big shoes to fill even for Mr. Spies but I never say never so lets see what he can do in Moto GP though before we make comparisons.......

·
Registered
457 Posts
has been offered a ride on Yamaha factory squad as well (hush-hush) if he wins the 2009 WSBK title.
Where do you get this crap? Are we supposed to believe that you have some uber-secret source in the MotoGP paddock that gives you the "scoop" on secret backroom deals between riders and teams, when nobody else knows? Posting unsubstantiated claims like this on this forum is usually what ends up getting you flamed all the time. I think I'll wait until the story "Spies signs for Fiat Yamaha in MotoGP" hits the headlines before I believe that one.

·
Premium Member
8,729 Posts
Where do you get this crap? Are we supposed to believe that you have some uber-secret source in the MotoGP paddock that gives you the "scoop" on secret backroom deals between riders and teams, when nobody else knows? Posting unsubstantiated claims like this on this forum is usually what ends up getting you flamed all the time. I think I'll wait until the story "Spies signs for Fiat Yamaha in MotoGP" hits the headlines before I believe that one.
I'm going to have to agree with Pilota on this one Tye. I think if we were betting, there are odds something like that might happen, you might win the bet because you guessed at it and as luck might play out he may get the ride due to luck. However, there is no doubt Spies has been blessed with being on the fastest bikes in both AMA and WSBK. Many of those other guys could be in his shoes if they had fast bikes and many of them had fast bikes in the past and were former champions. You can go from being champion one year to mid pack the next. It can very easilly happen to Spies, his limited showing in MotoGP was so-so, I know it was his first year but he has years of AMA experience, that counts for something. Then he gets on a superior bike in WSBK and blows the doors off everyone, kind of like what Hodgson had in 03 with the new 999R. He had the fastest bike, period. He doesn't have the fastest bike now so where is he? All these people yelling Spies is this and hes that, hold your horses and see if he can develop a bike into a champion like Rossi has done. Let him ride for Suzuki in WSBK, give him the keys to Hopper's old bike. After a many years trying to develop that bike and making some progress in 07 Hopper sees greener grass and jumps. Spies has built up some equity over the years. When he does move he will only go to a team with a proven winner, a bike already capable of winning the championship. That way he can keep the perception alive he is faster and more skilled than anyone on the grid not because of the bike, but because of him.

·
Registered
442 Posts
As amazing of a job as Spies is doing, comparing him or anybody else with Rossi is foolish. First they need to beat Rossi then they would need to match his records before any comparisons are valid!
Saying Spies has the fastest bike may have had some substance when he was on the Suzuki in the AMA but in World Superbike it is clearly all Spies. Who else and where else do you see the Yamaha doing anything at all? The bike is clearly down on power. Spies can nail the holeshot then gets swallowed up before the first corner. When do you see Spies passing in a straight line? All his moves are done on corner entrance and in doing so the Yamaha doesn't always look very stable. I don't remember him looking so twitchy on the Suzuki, he is certainly riding extremely hard.

Jerry
04 ST4s

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
motogpmatters.com said:
According to a story in today's edition of the paper, Ben Spies has signed a new two-year deal with Yamaha. Under the terms of the deal, Spies will stay in World Superbikes for one more season, and will then move up to MotoGP in 2011. According to La Gazzetta, Spies has a guarantee of a ride in MotoGP for 2011, but also has an option to move up earlier, if he wins the World Superbike title this year, or if Jorge Lorenzo leaves Yamaha. The new rookie rule prevents Spies from going straight to the factory team, but the deal is said to guarantee full factory support for Spies in any satellite structure, making a mockery of the rookie rule, as has been predicted here and elsewhere.
Lorenzo already has been caught in the Honda camp AND said he has a new deal for 2010. The following quote is pretty old...

asphaltrubber.com said:
Yamaha boss Masao Furusawa has made the factory’s position clear stating that Yamaha is keen to hold on to Lorenzo, but not at any price. Commenting about a bid from Honda, Furusawa said, “We know about Honda’s offer. If he [Lorenzo] wants to go with them, we won’t be raising our stakes in order to retain him.
You can clearly see, the pieces falling together for Ben Spies in GP for 2010. It just means; if Haga does win this season (doubtful) Spies might be encouraged to stay another year, but my guess is, he'll take Yamaha's money and get on the seat he wanted all along.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
Ben can become as good as Rossi but he's not there yet by a long stretch.

The hush hush stuff is hilarious. I've got his cell number yet Tye has more info than I do, hell more than even his manager does :D

Last years GP results don't show anything given the bike he was on. Not sure even Rossi could do well on the Suzuki.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Ben can become as good as Rossi but he's not there yet by a long stretch.

The hush hush stuff is hilarious. I've got his cell number yet Tye has more info than I do, hell more than even his manager does :D

Last years GP results don't show anything given the bike he was on. Not sure even Rossi could do well on the Suzuki.
Dude Tye posted up where he got the info from.... seems credible enough to me. I think Ben's gp starts count for something even if they were on the suzuki. He had a couple of decent results on a bike that he had never riden before with a team he had never worked with before. I dont think that Spies should be held in the same regard as Rossi yet... but considering his record in AMA (remember when he was on the GSXR600 it clearly wasnt the best bike in the line up) he has a good start on building Rossi like resume. The tech 3 yamaha is a competitive machine probabably better than lot of the factory efforts in gp right now with full factory support, I can see him winning races in Moto GP.
as fas as Lorenzo I doubt that he will be going anywhere. The Yamaha is the best ride in Moto GP, Honda is making head way but has some work to do. Lorenzo wants to beat Rossi he has to be on the best machine to do it.
And if Rossi where on the Suzuki it would be on the podium. People didnt think that he could win with the Yamaha and he did.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I know it will never happen, but with all the talk about how unfriendly the Ducati is to ride in MotoGp I would like to see Rossi and Spies on one and see what shakes out. And I would like to see Nakano and Biaggi back in MotoGp, at least for one more season. If Rossi is going to try F1 in 2011 (specualtion) I want to see him racing all hands in 2010, including Spies and Biaggi. Also want to see more "wildcard" rides like we had in 2007.

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
Tye posted his source about Ben's plans? Where? A website? I'll take Ben's word over theirs.

Ben isn't in any hurry to leave WSB, per Ben. I think that trumps any online source. I think he'll stick around for another year to make sure he's as ready as possible on the GP bikes and also because he's having fun racing where he is. The whole factory machinery to a satellite team is exactly why they put the rule into place and it would surprise me more to find out he wouldn't get full support no matter what team he's on.

I agree the Suzuki races showed how good he is, but people seem to want to factor them against him not for him.

I'm torn on the Lorenzo thing, it's tough to see a rider that good passing up a much better paycheck but hopefully he saw how that worked for Hopkins. A good bike and team are worth more in the long run (depending of course on the check...).

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
I know it will never happen, but with all the talk about how unfriendly the Ducati is to ride in MotoGp I would like to see Rossi and Spies on one and see what shakes out. And I would like to see Nakano and Biaggi back in MotoGp, at least for one more season. If Rossi is going to try F1 in 2011 (specualtion) I want to see him racing all hands in 2010, including Spies and Biaggi. Also want to see more "wildcard" rides like we had in 2007.
Them on the Duc would be very cool. I doubt he'd do a wildcard this year with the title chase the way it is but if he does win it, it'd be silly for him and his sponsors to not do so in 2010. Rossi will never be going to F1.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Tye posted his source about Ben's plans? Where? A website? I'll take Ben's word over theirs.
Well here ya go. It just took about 5 minutes of searching. http://www.motogpmatters.com/news/2009/07/04/ben_spies_world_superbikes_in_2010_motog.html

If your such good buddies with Ben why dont you get him to do a little press release just for us here at DucatiMS to clarify.;) I dont know how credible MotogpMatters is, or Mongos contact list for that matter.
In the article they did leave an option for Spies to be on a fiat Yamaha next year if Lorenzo infact does go to Honda.... That is troubling because of the rules. I guess rules change as other have said.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Rossi has stated previously that if he felt the Ducati was an easier bike to ride, he'd be interested in riding it. He sees the potential, though I don't think there will be enough time in his career to exploit it. Ben on the other hand, is pretty new to the whole world scene, so there is a possibility he could be on Ducati at some point, once its more ridable.

Ohh and just because you've got the phone number of someone on your cell phone, doesn't mean you can call him on a whim and interview him about his plans for the future. I knew about the Nicky Hayden/Ducati deal months before anybody else because one of my friends is deeply ingrained in Ducati/MotoGP, yet I couldn't say anything...

·
Registered
457 Posts
Well here ya go. It just took about 5 minutes of searching. http://www.motogpmatters.com/news/2009/07/04/ben_spies_world_superbikes_in_2010_motog.html

If your such good buddies with Ben why dont you get him to do a little press release just for us here at DucatiMS to clarify.;) I dont know how credible MotogpMatters is, or Mongos contact list for that matter.
In the article they did leave an option for Spies to be on a fiat Yamaha next year if Lorenzo infact does go to Honda.... That is troubling because of the rules. I guess rules change as other have said.
Yeah I'm not so sure how credible motogpmatters.com is either. It says "today's paper" and mentions La Gazzetta dello Sport. A search on their Italian and English versions of their site turns up nothing on the article date, which is 2009-07-04. It could be complete bullshit, and I will assume that it is until such time there is a press release.

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts
I didn't read anywhere that Mongo said he was good friends. He said he had Ben's cell number programmed. Same as Tye's "secret contacts" meaning that if he wanted to, he could probably talk to some people to find out what's being said. But again, all of it is hearsay.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I have Soupy Sales home number in my rolodex.

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts
Says he who used to brag about having the same accountant as Matt Mladin. Stop throwing stones, Tye.

Ohh and just because you've got the phone number of someone on your cell phone, doesn't mean you can call him on a whim and interview him about his plans for the future. I knew about the Nicky Hayden/Ducati deal months before anybody else because one of my friends is deeply ingrained in Ducati/MotoGP, yet I couldn't say anything...

1 - 20 of 74 Posts