Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this sounds like a dumb problem but... It's my first belt replacement and I'm stuck.

I'm rebuilding a 93 900SL that sat for a while. Took the old belts off by cutting them with a knife since they were so tight even with the tensioner removed. The new belts just won't slup onto the rollers. I've reread LT's book, watched YouTube videos, and it all looks like they should both easily slide onto the rollers and then tension up with the adjusters.

On a whim I also double checked that I have the proper belts. They're red 737.4002.1a, which seems right.

Both the vert and horizon belts are so tight I can't muscle them on.

What might I be missing? It's not supposed to be this hard.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Indeed, it's not supposed to be this hard. Granted mine is a '99ss, when I put mine on it was a tricky thing. I watched Chris at Ca-Cycleworks put them on in the youTube vid and he made it seem super easy. I was tugging on that thing and wrestling with it, then all of a sudden it just slipped on.

One thing is to make sure that you're not trying to fit the belt all the way on one roller before putting it on the other roller, essentially putting it on diagonally. This only adds to the tension. I'm sure you've already thought about that if you've checked that you've got the correct belts. Also, try putting the belt over the top roller before putting it on the timing roller. Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, of course. As soon as I posted that (after scratching my head for hours) I decided to try the belt on the bottom roller first, then get the top on. Took some wrestling but it's on now.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Your engine is probably similar to my '94 DB2 and the pullies have an outr lip on them. Some people remove them, as it makes belt installation a lot easier. I left them on my DB2 and the belts are definitely difficult to get over the pullies, and yes, put it on the drive pully first and then the cam pully. To get mine on, I essentially removed the tensioners. I removed the bolt from the adjustable section of the tensioner brackets and flopped them out of the way. With the tensioner bolts still in both the adjustable and fixed part of the bracket, it deflects the belt a little and doesn't allow as mush slack as is needed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I have those blasted lipped pullies.

Got the horiz on, then saw that the pulley moved out by a tooth. Grr.

·
Registered
577 Posts
you should remove the cam pulleys, don't force them on with a screw driver, the early ones have a lip. You also should replace the castle nut on each. $20 some odd dollars a piece :eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. I finally got the belts on and adjusted last night. Celebrated with a beer and left the work of remounting the covers to a time when my 6 year old helper can be involved, as it was past his bedtime last night to do any more.

Next up: valves, and install the Keihin FCR 41's :D

·
Registered
247 Posts
mine were a biotch to get over that damn lipped pulley too. A lot of wrestling and almost tipping over of bike but those sombitches finally went on

·
Registered
577 Posts
well you can do it how you want, but stretching the belts over those things is not a good idea in the long run. :think:

·
Registered
27 Posts
mine were a biotch to get over that damn lipped pulley too. A lot of wrestling and almost tipping over of bike but those sombitches finally went on
+1 on the lipped pully same thing happened to me on my 93 ss/sp.
Funny thing tho on the vertical cylinder the lip fell off as i put the new belt on there a press fit left it off.
Searched threads on this seems that the lips can be removed no problem wish I'd known that

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really! Well, I'm kinda surprised mine didn't just drop off after all the work I was doing near them. But that would be fantastic.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I am a little surprised. When I changed my belts for the first time last year, I loosened the tensioning pulley and it slipped right on. Because the tension pulley does just that -> it puts tension on the belt making it tight. Am I right? or are the IE bikes that much different?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Really! Well, I'm kinda surprised mine didn't just drop off after all the work I was doing near them. But that would be fantastic.
Trust me I was where you were at didnt think the belts would fit,
pulled tugged cursed,watched Chris kellys video again then wouldn't ya know it darn thing just popped off ..............
didnt think about trying to put it back on tensioned the new belts went riding

1 - 14 of 14 Posts