Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a new to me 2012 Streetfighter 848 it looks like the first owner took decent care of the bike but it has 12,800 miles and I don’t think the belts have ever been done. Would you all recommend I do the 15k service early (belts and valves) to ensure no damage is done to the bike? Or should I just do the belts since the bike is over 5 years old without a belt service being done? Or just ride to 15k and do everything then.

Also, are there any other maintenance items you all recommend?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
Skip the belts if you do not mind a increased chance of replacing the motor. If they are already 7 years old they are well past the most lax recommendation by years.

I would do a full service early if you want to save money and you know you will keep the bike past the 15K mark. If on the other hand you are only going to ride it a little and flip the bike just do belts.

Who will be doing the job, yourself or a pro?
A full tune should cover most things you will need done if you are doing it yourself then I can give you a list of things I do for a full tune and I am sure someone here will have Ducati's recommended list.

Know that about 18,000 miles on average a 525 chain will be worn out so inspect the chain and sprockets, a 520 chain drops that to closer to 10,000 miles.
around 18,000 miles the oil should be changed in both forks and shock.
Tires should be checked for age even if they look new there is a date code on them so if you have old tires know they may have little to no traction left in them even if they have 100% of the tread left.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am in the same situation, bought a 2012 (first owner bought it new in 2015 as a leftover) and miles are super low at 2000.

Here is what I did/am doing (belts are on order). Clean, adjust (maybe replace in your case) chain and sprockets. New Belts, new air filter, new oil and filter and clean oil screen. Replace all brake and clutch fluid. Check tires, probably not original, but check date codes, may need replaced for wear, but unlikely they are old with the miles. Valve adjustment isn't due, probably would wait and do it, it might save a few bucks to do it at the same time as the belts, but really isn't much overlap in labor (just removing the gas tank).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Skip the belts if you do not mind a increased chance of replacing the motor. If they are already 7 years old they are well past the most lax recommendation by years.

I would do a full service early if you want to save money and you know you will keep the bike past the 15K mark. If on the other hand you are only going to ride it a little and flip the bike just do belts.

Who will be doing the job, yourself or a pro?
A full tune should cover most things you will need done if you are doing it yourself then I can give you a list of things I do for a full tune and I am sure someone here will have Ducati's recommended list.

Know that about 18,000 miles on average a 525 chain will be worn out so inspect the chain and sprockets, a 520 chain drops that to closer to 10,000 miles.
around 18,000 miles the oil should be changed in both forks and shock.
Tires should be checked for age even if they look new there is a date code on them so if you have old tires know they may have little to no traction left in them even if they have 100% of the tread left.
What are the extra items you would do? I was hoping to do everything in the winter after this season (save a little on labor rates) but I’m a little uneasy riding with the belts past the 5 year mark. I got a great deal on the bike and it’s not absolutely mint but I would like to keep this bike for a long time as my regular rider, so a full list of maintenance items would be appreciated (a pro would be doing the work since I live in NYC and can’t take apart a Ducati on the side of the road even though I would have rathered done it myself).

I started another thread asking, but when I do the valves, 2 questions:

1. Are MBP collets and shims necessary on these bikes?

2. What are the tighter tolerance clearances recommended for a ‘12 SF 848 as I have read that the published measurements have a tolerance range that is a little too wide.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

M

1 - 5 of 5 Posts