Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 3,000 miles deep on my new belts and timing job. I am planning on a few road trips in the new future and being new to the Ducati (1998 ST2) I am wondering how critical it is that I have new belts and the timing service done at at exactly 6,000 miles.

Seems silly to do the service 2,000 miles early. But is doing it 2,000 miles late super risky?

·
Registered
209 Posts
belt replacement is every 12k miles or 2 years which ever comes first. i just changed the original belts on my 98 st2, with 4100 miles, and they looked good no cracking, teeth in good shape. the bike had been idle between 2003 and 08. i did notice the backup rubber piece for the belt cover on the vertical cyl showed some cracks around the molded insert when i torqued it to remove the screw. the belts are not expensive for the st2.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
The valves "settle in" somewhere between 12k an 18k, then after that, you can start skipping and checking the valves every 12k miles (2V engines. For the belts, though, at least check the tension somewhere around the 4k-8k range and change them at 12k (or whenever you feel comfortable). I notice that trying to let the belts go the full 12k without being checked can result in them stretching to where, when the engine is cold and you chop the throttle, the belt slaps up against the belt cover and will start wearing away at the back side (smooth side) of the belt.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I miss-read and miss interpreted the maintenance schedule. So I just had my belts changed and timing done at 19,000. New chain, tires and brake pads shortly after that. Oil change (maybe early) at about 3,500 miles.

So I should be all set until (except maybe for another oil change) until about 30,000 for the belts?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I guess I miss-read and miss interpreted the maintenance schedule.
No, you probably read it correctly. You just asked if it was critical to do those things every 6k miles as the suggested service interval. The thing is, many people do their own thing, and I know a guy who went something like 22k miles without checking his first valve or changing a single belt. It all boils down to what your personal perceived risk may be.

The schedule is to check the valves every 6k miles, adjust the belts every 6k miles, and replace the belts every 12k miles.......it's just that many people have noticed that the 2V engines can easily skip a valve check after the 12k or 18k mile mark because the valves just don't seem to change that much between checks, so many of us choose to only check them every 12k. I still check my 748 every 6k miles, though.

·
Registered
407 Posts
intervals for valve adjust and belts

The valves "settle in" somewhere between 12k an 18k, then after that, you can start skipping and checking the valves every 12k miles (2V engines. For the belts, though, at least check the tension somewhere around the 4k-8k range and change them at 12k (or whenever you feel comfortable). I notice that trying to let the belts go the full 12k without being checked can result in them stretching to where, when the engine is cold and you chop the throttle, the belt slaps up against the belt cover and will start wearing away at the back side (smooth side) of the belt.
I agree. I check valves every 6k, but once the engine gets 10k or so miles on, they rarely move anything that would worry a person.

If you're going on a long trip, the valves should be the least of your worries if they go over a couple thousand miles. It will not grenade. If the belts are relatively fresh, GO!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts