Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All this belt talk- mine will need replacing soon. Has anybody found some cheaper than the dealer's $170 clip?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Wow, I paid $70.00 about a year ago for both belts at my dealer. Huge increase since?

I checked Desmo Times and found $154.00.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I don't think I paid more than about $90 for the pair. My 999R belts are about $180 a pair. $170 a pair for a ST3 is too much.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
$340 NZD here for mine......$164 ish USD from Desmo times = $260 NZD so you guys have it a little easier!! Why dont Bucci make aftermarket belts for all models at half the price??

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The prices really are all over the place. I think last time that dr desmo didn't have one for my ST3. He has done me right in the past, every time.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The prices really are all over the place. I think last time that dr desmo didn't have one for my ST3. He has done me right in the past, every time.
I got $35 ea from Ducati for the last set for a 2000 M900ie.

·
Registered
631 Posts

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
The ca-cycleworks website has Bucci belts for the 916 and 996 (pn 403-1062) priced at $35 each. Won't those fit the ST4s?
Nope. The heads on the ST4 916 and the 2002 748 are shorter in height, so the belts are different.....and a LOT more expensive.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Just to add a discussion point.
Like most Ducati owners I try and replace my belts at the recommended intervals , or close but I have afriend who ahs the dame belts on his ST3 after 25,000Mls and says there is not problem with them and is happy to continue with them.
He says that should the belt(s) break there will be no damage caused as the valves will not damage the heads or be damaged themselves , the bike will just stop running.
I know the difference between the ST4s engine and the ST3 is quite large but was surprised by this statement (he is an engineer so didnt want to get into an argument with him as I dont know the motor)
What do others know , are the ST3 motors that bullket-proof or is he wrong ?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On any interference engine, if the valves get out of time with the pistons, damage can and often does occur. That damage is usually cracked pistons or bent valves.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Gearbox Just to add a discussion point.
Like most Ducati owners I try and replace my belts at the recommended intervals , or close but I have afriend who ahs the dame belts on his ST3 after 25,000Mls and says there is not problem with them and is happy to continue with them.
He says that should the belt(s) break there will be no damage caused as the valves will not damage the heads or be damaged themselves , the bike will just stop running.
I know the difference between the ST4s engine and the ST3 is quite large but was surprised by this statement (he is an engineer so didnt want to get into an argument with him as I dont know the motor)
Wow???!!!
When his belts go he will have a huge boat anchor as a reward.Interesting that some people decide their actions without reading manuals or disregarding entirely maintenance schedules set up by engineers who build the bikes.As ducaati said its an interference engine, as most engines today are.Try ignoring your belt change on your car:rolleyes:

·
Mr Leakered
8,837 Posts
Just to add a discussion point.
I'm an engineer also and that is just whacky. When the belt lets go, it is going to thread through the system in some manner, similar to a chain snapping. Think about how well seated our belts are when replacing them. Those different running speed are going to ensure a valve meets a piston.

Even if it were to totally dissappear, the cams have a certain inertia, spinning at half engine speed, 2k or more. The closer springs will not come to rest in one revolution, or less. Not good.

Worse than that, the ST3 has a SOHC. Therefore, all three valves are on one cam. Unlike the ST4, were all valves seat without a belt, there will be some portion of the cam rotation where the valves will be held on lobe.

Not good. I'm just sayin'.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Some of the engineers I know are brilliant.
Then there are a few I wouldn't let feed my goldfish they are so stupid:D

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
or is he wrong ?
Simple....He's wrong.

I have the heads from a '97 748 that had the cam belt break. The piston came up, slapped two intake valves, and resulted in the valve stems being bent to hell and probably damaging the valve guides. Additionally, I've heard of some people running across the piston meeting the valves just right to bend a connecting rod and take out crank bearings.....I haven't personally seen the bent connecting rod and damaged crank bearings, but if he wants to see a bent intake valve, I'll gladly send him one of mine. ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts