Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Still on the heads but I noticed that the rubber cap that attaches to the head is cracked in a few places on the vertical cylinder. Doesn't seem to affect the integrity of the part but since the cracks run the length of the attach bolt holes I can see that over time it will be an issue. It bothers me but not so much that I cant let it go until the next belt change. Have any of you "fixed" this or is replacement the only option? I was thinking if there were a rubber type product that I could apply over the cracks to give strength and keep dirt out of the cracks that it might be beneficial. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Still on the heads but I noticed that the rubber cap that attaches to the head is cracked in a few places on the vertical cylinder. Doesn't seem to affect the integrity of the part but since the cracks run the length of the attach bolt holes I can see that over time it will be an issue. It bothers me but not so much that I cant let it go until the next belt change. Have any of you "fixed" this or is replacement the only option? I was thinking if there were a rubber type product that I could apply over the cracks to give strength and keep dirt out of the cracks that it might be beneficial. Thoughts?
Is this the cap that sits under the cam pulley, and fits into the head fins? If it is, then be careful with it (VERY CAREFUL!) - my one failed, and cost me some valves and a bunch of money. It broke a chunk off, which dropped down, and sat on the belt, rubbing/fraying it until it had stretched enough to jump a tooth or two. Luckily while at an idle - just before I was to head off on a ride. It still cost me... :(

I'd replace it - the sooner the better. The new ones a a slightly different design (shorter), to stop this recurring.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this the cap that sits under the cam pulley, and fits into the head fins? If it is, then be careful with it (VERY CAREFUL!) - my one failed, and cost me some valves and a bunch of money. It broke a chunk off, which dropped down, and sat on the belt, rubbing/fraying it until it had stretched enough to jump a tooth or two. Luckily while at an idle - just before I was to head off on a ride. It still cost me... :(

I'd replace it - the sooner the better. The new ones a a slightly different design (shorter), to stop this recurring.
Well that is good to know! How many miles did you have on your bike when that happened? I saw there was a difference but wasn't sure about the reason. Mine isn't terrible but I went ahead and ordered a new one anyway. Thanks Steve.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Well that is good to know! How many miles did you have on your bike when that happened? I saw there was a difference but wasn't sure about the reason. Mine isn't terrible but I went ahead and ordered a new one anyway. Thanks Steve.
Yeah, that's the bit - the one on the right, with the longer tail. IIRC, it was at about 25,000kms (+- 5,000) - er, about 12,000 miles. It's a cheap part, so it's well worth changing out if it's looking dodgy (or even starting to), as it has the ability to cost you a whole bunch of money if/when it fails.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
Mine had cracks, I glued them with a hot glue gun on the inside so it didn't show. I have since bought a full set in good shape on eBay for cheap.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Here's what those cracks look like on my bike. It still seems strong but definitely breaking down!
Ahh - not where I expected... Mine cracked (broke off) the long 'tongue' that sticks down, and fits into the cylinder fins. It was the broken off bit that did the damage to the cam belt. Still probably better to get a replacement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts