Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Completed vertical cylinder today only needed 2 shims on opener’s of course it would have to be on the exhaust side. I’m thinking it would be easier to pull the head then trying to get a good measurement, any thoughts? Bike has 32000 miles.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
i think pulling the heads is just nuts, but i use lift tools to measure the closing clearance which is easier than using feeler gauges access wise. whatever works best for you.

·
Mr Leakered
8,805 Posts
I did the valve shims with the heads off once. It as a PITA because there was no way to hold the head steady. I either needed a third hand or a huge vice. Given all the extra work required to pull the heads, it just ain't worth it to me.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
If you are unable to adjust the valves with the heads on I have less trust that you can R&R the heads. There are far more difficult things to do than adjust desmoquattro valves in the chassis and removing and replacing a head and cylinder is one of them. If you need to practice first buy a spare complete 748 head while they are still cheap to learn on, then sell it when you no longer need it.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
How critical is it that you have the cylinder @ TDC compression when you set tension? I've always done it but the frequency between the cylinder @ TDC and the other one is generally pretty small. Given that the frequency changes the nanosecond you start the engine I'm questioning the value of perfect. DS1k engine for reference.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,871 Posts
How critical is it that you have the cylinder @ TDC compression when you set tension? I've always done it but the frequency between the cylinder @ TDC and the other one is generally pretty small. Given that the frequency changes the nanosecond you start the engine I'm questioning the value of perfect. DS1k engine for reference.
Me too. I’ve tried checking at different points and the variability in plucking and interpreting the reading made more difference than where I took the reading.

Honestly I like the old twist the belt, have another beer and close it up method better. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
Dumb question guy here, how important is the crank rotation tool. Couldn’t you just turn the wheel since the plugs are out?

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,199 Posts
I've been using the wheel turning method for years. I'm starting to get a little tired of it and will get the turning tool at some point.

If you've done your own valve adjustments, you understand what the cam looks like at TDC. If it's off a little bit, there's still not going to be much of a load on the lobe so I can't see how being slightly off will affect the tension in any meaningful way. If you've spun them by hand, you know there's a good amount of play near the bottom of the lobe.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
By the way it looks like California cycle works has disabled all their shipping options? I have an email inquiry in on a belt order. Does anyone know if they are suspending shipping during the pandemic?

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Dumb question guy here, how important is the crank rotation tool. Couldn’t you just turn the wheel since the plugs are out?
Safety tip, if you do use the engine rotating tool the screws holding on the cover over the crank are very soft You will absolutely strip them if you jam a hex wrench on there and start cranking. I usually give it a little heat then wack it w/ a manual impact driver to loosen. Im sure there is a reason why they didn't use a better fastener but probably not a good enough reason.

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
I always recommend a turning tool in part so you can turn the motor over by hand and FEEL if anything is wrong.

You check the belts at TDC because if you check them while a valve is being lifted the cam pulley will be trying to rotate under spring pressure. This pressure will skew the reading as it will be tighter than it actually is when not loaded by spring pressure. If you measure vertical at horizontal TDC and then re-measure at vertical TDC you should see a noticeable difference. Generally it will lead to a looser belt which is better than too tight as long as it does not jump a tooth.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the feed back valves all done and new belts. Nice to have bodywork off to do some detailing. Going to flush radiator and do some other maintenance while I’m at it. By the way I ordered everything I needed from Desmotimes LT had it mailed in a couple of days

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
i do the belts at tdc firing because that's the right place to do it. it does make some difference and it might not be huge in the grand scheme of things. but i doubt i could force myself to do it wrong because it's so easy to do it right.

i use the rear wheel to turn them over, because i'm tool lazy to fit the engine turning tool and more concerned about the screws that hold the plate on, as has been said. the problem with generating a problem on a customer's bike that didn't exist previously is that you then have to fix that problem. turning the rear wheel is easier. have really hurt my back doing that though, so brace. 6th to turn it gently and find a location, 2nd to turn it quick and settle the belts.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
I am in the same boat, 1 week old belts order and no shipping update. What is the forum handle for Chris? Thanks in advance!
I had different issue. Their new website has a glitch that won't let you select a shipping options thus stopping you from placing the order. Re-entering the address fixes that.

In terms of update, not sure. I'm having a similar issue w/ another vendor though. Covid is probably making logistics for these small shops tough.

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Years ago after a valve adjust seminar one of the students attempted his own valve adjust. He was a dentist so he measured and pulled all the closer shims so he could run down to the dealership and buy all the shims he needed in one go.

He tied each of the valves up so they would not fall in the motor when the closers were off and used dental floss to tie them up because ... well he was a dentist. At some point he was turning the motor over with the rear wheel in gear and one of his tied up valves broke its bonds and fell into the cylinder. Because he was using great leverage and was behind the bike he did not notice the valve was missing until the motor locked up and he had bent the valve and cracked a guide.

His attempt at a valve adjust cost him some engine repairs because he tried rushing the job and traded some feel for some leverage. Someone who has much experience would likely be fine in such a situation but if you are starting out learning tread lightly and never rush things.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts