Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
i think the idea is to loosen the belt, then wind the tenionser up until you get the 110 and call that done. as has been said, they'd often vary up to 125 or so if you rotated the engine over and rechecked. i did that a few times with the mathesis / dds tool. you just pluck it with your thumb nail, takes a bit of practice, but pretty easy.

the 80 spec is so when you check the tension in service you probably don't have to adjust it, just like the large valve clearance ranges.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I never had issues with the tuners that I used to use...same ones I used as a musician, either buy Korg, Seiko, BOSS, Yamaha, etc. They all have mic plug-in's also, so that would definitely help. I use a Korg tuner that works perfectly.
Same for me; i use a Korg CA40 guitar tuner with an external mic;
works like a charm and the costs are extremely low!

Peter

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I was just looking at this thread again and some one posted 240HZ for the narrow heads. Do that and you are going to have big problems. I think it must have been cleared up because I see we are back to 110Hz, and maybe 80 for used check up frequency. Though I do not recall at what mileage that number is valid.

·
Registered
285 Posts
My 2 cents

Tye, the 2005 Ducati Service Manual for the 999 says to set the belt tension using the tool shown by Moonpool145. I think they went to the frequency method simply because of what other posts have said, it is hard to put the gauge on the vertical belt in the recommended location. Horizontal is no problem either way. I bought a Gates belt tensioner off ebay for 80 bucks, came with a calibration sticker even. I got the same reading using either tool, but the spring-gauge is far easier to use in my opinion. Moonpool, if you start with the setting at TDC, go way tight (like to 11 on the gauge) and then back it down to 2.5 or 3, you will be right where you need to be and this works on every motor I have checked.

I don't understand the desire to use a guitar tuner, laptop with usb mike, or iphone to do this. I don't think this makes sense. You have a bike you spent a ton o bucks on, and real honest to goodness belt tension meters are available for less than $100. You will pay for the tool in one tune up. You will not be wondering whether you have the right spectrum, or a good mike, or whether you got the kludged system in the right spot to measure, or whether you strummed it right. The good tools just work. I am not sure it is a good thing to recommend these less rigorous tools to a group that is trying to learn to work on their machines. Successfull mechanics have good tools. Always.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Using the desmoquattro tool won't work on the testastretta very well without modification. To this day I use a modified version of what this thread purposes and it takes 10 minutes.

The point of the video/thread was to show alternatives to adjusting belts for practically nothing. Anyone can spend money to adjust them, the fun is finding accurate alternatives. ;)

Also, this thread is old!!! Whats a desmoquattro again???? lol :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
39 Posts
What about the gauge?

What about testing your setup against a Ducati measuring gauge 88765.0999 or 051.2.001A? All of the hand testing methods are obviously very subjective since one guys grip is not the same as another. The gauge seems the only way to measure the tension manually.

·
Registered
537 Posts
hallo,

can sombody say how a tension tool work?
do you have to dial a tension in the machine or does that goes automatic.
i know you have to take the tension on a 4 valve engine between the two pully's but where do you do it on a 2 valve engine?

henk!!!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Resistance to change is predictable. I understand why some folks think the "old ways"are better. They work. However that does not necessarily mean it is the best way to do a particular task. My old Apple, not the II or II+ worked. My Mac, well it works better. IMHO so does frequency analysis belt tensioning.
Once a person sees how little movement it takes to over or under tension a belt it is a no brainer for me. I think it is the way the industry is going. Very much like the evolution of or engines. How many of you folks know how to set your points and dwell timing? Caution to change is good, resistance is futile. :abduct:

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
My 2 cents

Tye, the 2005 Ducati Service Manual for the 999 says to set the belt tension using the tool shown by Moonpool145. I think they went to the frequency method simply because of what other posts have said, it is hard to put the gauge on the vertical belt in the recommended location. Horizontal is no problem either way. I bought a Gates belt tensioner off ebay for 80 bucks, came with a calibration sticker even. I got the same reading using either tool, but the spring-gauge is far easier to use in my opinion. Moonpool, if you start with the setting at TDC, go way tight (like to 11 on the gauge) and then back it down to 2.5 or 3, you will be right where you need to be and this works on every motor I have checked.

I don't understand the desire to use a guitar tuner, laptop with usb mike, or iphone to do this. I don't think this makes sense. You have a bike you spent a ton o bucks on, and real honest to goodness belt tension meters are available for less than $100. You will pay for the tool in one tune up. You will not be wondering whether you have the right spectrum, or a good mike, or whether you got the kludged system in the right spot to measure, or whether you strummed it right. The good tools just work. I am not sure it is a good thing to recommend these less rigorous tools to a group that is trying to learn to work on their machines. Successfull mechanics have good tools. Always.

which gates tool?

61 - 69 of 69 Posts