Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 1998 ST2. I learned the hard way about doing some research before buying.

This coming winter/into next summer if things go well work wise I may buy a multi.

I have read a little bit here and there but it's hard to tell what year to buy and more importantly what year to stay away from. Of course cost is an issue and I will be buying used.

Seems that from what I've read 05 and up is the way to go?

·
Registered
849 Posts
First of all, you will love the MTS. It is a great bike that offers an excellent blend of spirited riding/touring with the comfort to do the local daily chores/commute without issues.

You will find a great deal of info on multistrada.net. That site is a bit more active than the MTS page here. Most everyone here is also on that site.

I wouldn't worry too much about years since most of the issues that plague the 2004-2006 have been fixed by their owners. If they haven't, you can always incorporate that into the price. The biggest things to look out for are:

valve guide issue
hard seat
short side stand
some had issues with their oil lines
fuel light doesn't work correctly...EVER!

Some of these issues were fixed in 2005. However, many thought the seat fix still wasn't that great. The biggest issue is the valve guide problem. That affected through 2005 and some suggest that it even got some 2006 models (since the 2006 SCs have some 1000ds engines with the problem). This is an expensive fix. If the bike has low miles, less than 6k, and haven't had a major tuning, there is no way to know for sure. You will find some bikes for sale that have the low mileage. Watch out for those, or assume that they have the VG issue. If you decide to buy it, factor in about 1000 bucks off of the asking price. That should include the belt change, VGs, etc. There really is no reason a bike from 2004-2007 shouldn't have had that major service yet no matter what the mileage is.

Personal note: I did exactly this for a 2004 MTS. I got it for $5k after he was asking over $6k. It did have the VG issue (he didn't know at the time since it hadn't had the major service--it had just under 4k miles), but the seat, stand, oil lines all had been addressed. I offered 1000 less than he was seeking and he agreed to the sale. I found out within the month that the VGs were bad. Fixing that and having the major service ran me just over 1000 bucks. However, since it was fixed, the bike runs great without any issues at all.

It really depends on how much money you want to spend. You can find some great deals for 2004-2005 models. When you start getting to the 2007-2009 models, it gets much tougher. Also, call me ignorant, but I feel that the base MTS works just fine. Others have opted for the S model, but I don't feel like I needed the Ohlins bling for this bike. The base has enough adjustablility for my needs. Expect about 1000 increase in price for the S model no matter what year you decide to buy.

Good luck. It is a great bike once you take care of the bugs. One last thing, get a set of bags. The DP paniers are great. I don't have a top box for mine, but many swear by those as well. If you need to carry anything, either/all of the bags are a must have!

Cheers,
JS

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thursday I bought a Brand new 08 1100s

Last one at the dealer 100 miles from the house. Great bike. But in the 205 miles there is so for two things I don't like, 1st hand grips which is no surprise I always change on all my bike for bigger grips. Also the stock seat so for is not getting it. Before leaving the dealer I did order a trunk and comfort seats. Otherwise the bike has good upright riding position, and handles better than it needs to LOL. And the motor feels stronger than my 07 GT classic 1000 with termi kit. Maybe becasue the lighter wheels, 42 over 39 rear sprocket, and 100 cc bigger engine. :D:D

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How is the multi for riding around town. Speeds less than 40mph. My 1998 ST2 is TERRIBLE. I know you don't buy either of these bikes to put around town but inevitably you get stuck in traffic, visit a small town, etc.. I dread riding my bike in traffic, etc.. ESPECIALLY at 6,000 ft in elevation where I live. At sea level it's okay.

Do the MTS have deadspots like an ST? At 3,900 rpms my bike is un-ridable.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Buy a Multi!

The name pretty much say's it all. I've had my 07 for exactly one year this month, and have put over 8k worry free miles on her. I use it to commute to work, (Los Angeles), long trips, and i love it in the canyons! 07-09 is the way to go if you can find one within your price range. Happy Hunting, hope you bag one! oh yeah, get a custom seat!:D

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
one of these days you will have to come over the hill and meet up with some of us from the other side. check the nor cal section for rides and feedings.
you will probably find a multi survives the tourist traffic you have to endure better than your ST. out or the open road, it really depends on what is most comfortable to you, not what anyone else finds best. for my back, the multi fits me great. others find the ST does it for them.
if you still have the stock gearing on your bike, you will probably be happier if you drop a tooth on the front or go up a couple on the rear. especially in town.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Not bad around town. However, when you get out on the freeway, you may want to get a bigger windscreen. The stock one doesn't give you much protection. They are a snap to switch if you want/need to go back and forth on them...

·
Registered
862 Posts
Not bad around town. However, when you get out on the freeway, you may want to get a bigger windscreen. The stock one doesn't give you much protection. They are a snap to switch if you want/need to go back and forth on them...
The screens are easy to fit not like the seats make sure you choose the right seat because once you have changed it you will never change another seat on a multi.

·
Registered
849 Posts
True!!!

I read the thread about the seat. I tried to look at my seat for a while. I got discouraged after about 45 minutes trying to take the damn thing off!!! All of that for curiosity's sake. I never said I was smart...

Windscreen is a snap though!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Yes eviltwin I think your right.

My all stock not even a week old 08 1100s seems stronger than my 07 gt with termi. I am still breaking it in. Last night coming home from work with only 400 miles on the odo I ran her up to 5000 rpm and hit second pretty good and the bike wanted to carry the front tire. Then I let off for break in reasons. Feels plenty strong down low so for. My multi after dealing with a 07 GT that would not act right tell Termi kit was installed. Runs like a champ idles good, take off is good comparing the two. I am enjoying a stock bike with quiet exhaust that runs like it should when stock. I guess the 02's in both pipes is a two sided sword all the stock the bike runs good. But for more performance things are abit harder................That is ok by me as long as mine keeps acting like it should. After riding this bike all I can say now is life is to short to ride with out ohlins and marchesini on a ducati...........LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts