Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
ROF
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out from my State Farm Insurance agent that my motorcycles, my car and my Motor home are NOT covered if they are used on a race track for ANY reason. I also talked to the folks at PRO DRIVE here in Portland Oregon that run some of the driving schools at Portland International Raceway and they indicated that they know that some insurance companies will deny coverage at a race track facility.

At the Salem Honda-BMW-Ducati dealership here in Salem Oregon a few week ago they had a very wrecked brand new K 1200 S. Word has it the owner was at the track and crashed with the bike going end over end several times. Owner okay, bike totaled. The shop guys at Salem indicated they had just done a estimate by walking around the bike and had already hit $18,500 US which is about the cost new. The really sad part is the owner had insurance BUT his insurance company is NOT paying a dime on repair/replacement. Sounds like an expensive lesson.

I did not have a clue that this was an issue. I participated in Class Motorcycle Shools (Reg Pridmore) many years ago and just found out today that if I had crashed I would have been SOL!

Am I the only person on the planet that doesn't know about this insurance issue. Are there specific insurance companies that will cover your bike when you ride it on a race track as well as on the road? Are there insurance companies that will provided you coverage when you are just at the track (single day coverage)?

This issue also raises an interesting problem when you have your vehicle financed.

Phil

·
ROF
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update to Insurance Question

My original posting was based on information I received from my State Farm Agent's office this morning. I just received a call from my Agent and it turns out that starting two years ago that State Farm WILL cover your vehicles at a Race Track and that if you crash State Farm may ask you to sign a waver/exclusion that would remove any State Farm coverage from that vehicle if it were taken to a race track in the future. There seems to be some discretion here specifically if you are NOT "racing" for profit. If you are racing for profit then you will have to sign the waver for the specific vehicle.

In my case where I was on the race track back in about 1995, had I crashed I would NOT have been covered and could only have been compensated via the courts. Since January of 2004 I am covered by my State Farm Policy. I think State Farm got taken to court on this issue when they refused to pay on someone's claim because the vehicle crashed on a race track. Its a "fine print" issue and now as far as State Farm is concerned the burden is on them and if there are going to be any exclusions then the customer has to sign something stating that the customers knows what is going on......

My Agent reminded me that this is specific to State Farm and may not be the same for other insurance companies. Still worth checking out.

Phil

·
Registered
375 Posts
My State Farm agent told me that as long as it's not a 'timed' event, it should be covered. This was in regards to my car a few years ago. That was verbal and I don't have/haven't read anything confirming this in my policy. I need to look.

I think this is why PCA (Porsche Club of America) puts on 'driver's ed' events instead of calling them something more exciting; cars on a track going fast, with instructors, without timing laps. It's NOT racing by definition.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Why do think that your insurance company should pay to repair/replace your bike if you were on the "track"?
Is that fair to us folk that never go to the track with any of our motorized whatevers?
Insurance is high enough as it is. Why burden the non-track people with your own wipeouts?

Side note:
I would love to see the insurance companies go after any of the "stunta's" that are stupid enough to post videos of themselves crashing while doing a wheelie on a major roadway and deny any and all insurance they might have coming.

(disclaimer: not trying to start a flame war here ;) )

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
ricky said:
Why do think that your insurance company should pay to repair/replace your bike if you were on the "track"?
Is that fair to us folk that never go to the track with any of our motorized whatevers?
Insurance is high enough as it is. Why burden the non-track people with your own wipeouts?
there ARE courses held at tracks that are rider improvement and advanced skills riding courses that would be under normal circumstances the type of course that would maybe normally dictate some sort of discount like a defensive driving course for cars and things of the like which people attend that should still be covered .....but insurance companies choose not to because motorcycles are once again a pariah or a black eye to the insurance industry....so under those circumstances I think a person SHOULD be covered....now if it was a general track day...I wouldn't expect it....but there are loopholes and ways to deal with the whole thing....like say for instance...taking your bike that was wrecked on the track and dragging it a couple miles down the road in the back of a truck and then dumping it off the back and reporting the incident as having occurred at that point outside of the track because some piece of nature or unpredictable occurance happened and caused you to lose control and damage your vehicle....that was a suggestion made by an insurance representative completely off the record as a way to get covered for such an occurance....but that is apon the individual to deal with and I am in no way suggesting that all folks do this!

·
Registered
71 Posts
zooom said:
there ARE courses held at tracks that are rider improvement and advanced skills riding courses that would be under normal circumstances the type of course that would maybe normally dictate some sort of discount like a defensive driving course for cars and things of the like which people attend that should still be covered .....but insurance companies choose not to because motorcycles are once again a pariah or a black eye to the insurance industry....so under those circumstances I think a person SHOULD be covered....now if it was a general track day...I wouldn't expect it....but there are loopholes and ways to deal with the whole thing....like say for instance...taking your bike that was wrecked on the track and dragging it a couple miles down the road in the back of a truck and then dumping it off the back and reporting the incident as having occurred at that point outside of the track because some piece of nature or unpredictable occurance happened and caused you to lose control and damage your vehicle....that was a suggestion made by an insurance representative completely off the record as a way to get covered for such an occurance....but that is apon the individual to deal with and I am in no way suggesting that all folks do this!

I forgot about those training days. With those, I agree with you. But... the insurance company wasn't there watching, soooo.... they might tend to deny coverage.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
ricky said:

Side note:
I would love to see the insurance companies go after any of the "stunta's" that are stupid enough to post videos of themselves crashing while doing a wheelie on a major roadway and deny any and all insurance they might have coming.

(disclaimer: not trying to start a flame war here ;) )
I've heard this argument before and I don't understand the point. Why? Because I pay my premiums, that's why. It's like asking why should insurance pay for injuries incurred while riding a motorcycle? The higher costs associated with motorcycle injuries are certainly increasing the premiums of the cage drivers.

I'd even argue that a street rider provides greater liability to an insurance agency than a track rider. Forget the bike, that's only a few thousand dollars. Where are you more likely to incur serious injury, on the track or the street?

Tony

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
SouthsideDuc said:
Where are you more likely to incur serious injury, on the track or the street?

Tony
Honestly Tony.....folks are much more likely to a greater degree of harm of certain types of injuries at the track from high sides and impacts with tire walls and so forth.....but the percentage weighs the street in heavier as far as regularity of all types of injury due to frequency of occurence....

·
Registered
14 Posts
?

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. If everything is relative, their is no way people riding at track days incur greater physical injury in a crash than people on the street. I'll take a tire wall over a guard rail or SUV anyday.

·
Registered
310 Posts
GOT to agree with 675 on that! The track is a MUCH safer place to ride, and at all track events I've been to, there is a least one ambulance in attendance at all times, so even if you do get hurt, help is nearby.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
I'm with ducremus, 675, and SouthsideDuc on this.

IMHO, the track probably the safest place to ride your bike, especially if you plan on going fast. Some tracks may have tire walls and other obstacles that will hurt you bad, but every street has much more, people going in the opposite direction, vehicles outweighing your's by tons, trees, mailboxes, gravel, oil, curbs, and people not focusing on what they're doing. Most every track day I've been to also has an EMT, and an ambulance waiting if you get hurt, another thing you don't typically see on your local twisty road.

I can understanding an insurance company not wanting to pay, and it's our responsibility to find ones that will pay if we decide to ride a track (not racing) or accept the risks solely on our own. I really don't think the high cost of insurance has much to do with track days, more the things people do on the street.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just caught this thread while checking something else out. Vito- well put. I'll add to check with your agent and make sure you agent checks with the claim people first. In the US almost every state has a different insurance contract, and the contracts can change year to year..yep..

Timed event??, almost every trackday I've attended is on based on time (15/20 minute sessions etc, lap timer becons, just becuase you are not timing your laps does not mean its not a timed event. I would think the track schools are fine.

Don't want to argue good, bad or ugly, the wrong time to find out if its covered is after you wad. just trying to help.
my .02

·
Registered
102 Posts
I happen to be in the insurance business. Yes, I'm wearing a bullet proof vest as I say this. Check with you agent before going to track days. Most companies will not cover an "organized" racing event. However, that said the companies encourage rider safety courses. When the local dealership sponsors a track day here it is considered training, not racing. It is not an organized racing event. It is a training/practice event. The company that I use would cover damage in this case. If I enter a race, they will not. Food for thought.

·
Registered
218 Posts
State Farm used to cover trackdays, schools on the track, etc. so long as it wasn't competitive racing. This has recently changed. They will no longer cover any event on the track, whether it be a safety school or other non-competitive event, or so I've read on another forum. Check your policies and check with your agent.

·
ROF
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DucatiGal said:
State Farm used to cover trackdays, schools on the track, etc. so long as it wasn't competitive racing. This has recently changed. They will no longer cover any event on the track, whether it be a safety school or other non-competitive event, or so I've read on another forum. Check your policies and check with your agent.
Read the second posting to this thread regarding State Farm.......

·
Registered
603 Posts
True story:

I used to race sportscars (SSGT Mustang). I was at an open track event at Waterford Hill in SE MI. A guy with a new white Saleen Mustang went a little too hot into a turn... slid across some wet grass and centerpunched a tire wall. It folded-up his valance and hood pretty good. Of course, he knew his insurance would not cover the damage.

So the guy limps his car out to Waterford road and drove it into a tree. Calls the cops and a tow truck. Insurance fraud at it's best.

I do NOT condone this type of behavior! Just relying the story for entertainment value.

Mike

·
Registered
662 Posts
dtsv650r said:
Why on earth would you let your insurer know that you had an accident at a race track? Haul the thing home and tell your insurer you slid off the road on your way to church services or something!
I discovered another wrinkle when I called my State Farm agent to add my new GT to our policies. As we were talking through all the details she said something that made me wonder about whether or not I was covered when I was taking all of my test rides. Turns out, I wasn't. This probably varies from state to state, but in Colorado, she claimed I wasn't covered by my policy while taking bikes out for test drives. She seemed to think the dealer's insurance would cover me.

Right! :confused:

·
Registered
218 Posts
BLACKBIRDXX said:
Read the second posting to this thread regarding State Farm.......
I did, I'm a bit confused, you're saying they will cover non-competitive track activities, at least once? The info I got says that's changed very recently. It may depend on your location, too. I was just giving a heads-up to check fine print. I do hear conflicting things.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.