Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...coming from the world of Japanese bikes I have certain "assumptions"
about Ducatis. I really like the ergos of this bike, it is the only SPORT-tourer
that fits my 6'4" frame perfectly.
The main negatives for me are the 6,000 miles valve checks,which means
expensive maintenance and whether or not Ducati will release a redesigned
model in 07/08 since the current one has been out for a while.
What do you guys pay every 6k miles for service? I was told it's ~500$.
My other options are the new Yamaha FZ1 and Triumph Sprint ST.
Both of these are cheaper to acquire, maintain and have newer technology/
more power so I am having trouble justifying a Ducati purchase.

I was just looking for some thoughts from this group, mainly see if you guys
can sway me in the Ducati direction :)

·
Registered
623 Posts
chamade said:
The main negatives for me are the 6,000 miles valve checks,which means expensive maintenance and whether or not Ducati will release a redesigned model in 07/08 since the current one has been out for a while.
Well for me the 6000 mi was not a big deal. I ride about 5-6000 miles a year and taking it to the dealer once a year is a good idea. If it's $250, $500 or even $750 it's no big deal compared to what I spend on the bike other gear and riding. I like the looks and handling of the ST3 so even they come out with a new model I will still be happy with this one.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
To be honest, if you intend to ride your Ducati and put some decent miles on it each year, the 6,000 miles services are overkill!

I stopped getting 6,000 miles services once the warranty ran out on my 2002 ST4s. I now get the belts checked and a general safety check done at the 6K intervals and I get a proper service done at the 12K intervals.

This plan is working fine for me. My ST4s is in the shop at the moment getting the 48,000 mile service done. My valves have only been adjusted once at 18,000 miles. So far, they've stayed in spec. I ride between 10K and 16K miles a year.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the answers...I do about 15,000 miles a year so I think the ST3
for me is out of the question at this point. I am 26, there will still be time to
own a Ducati in the future :)

I think I'll go with the '06 Yamaha FZ1, rode it and the Triumph and the
Yamaha is a better ride for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had a similar decision to make. I was torn between the Sprint ST and the ST3.

A couple things sealed it for me. Brakes, suspension and sound! The Triumph is so smooth and quiet! Where's the fun in that!!?!??! Granted I haven't heard one with after-market pipes on it.

I don't think the Triumph suspension is as good as the ST3.

Apart from that, it's a good problem to have. I think they are both great bikes. I'd be happy with either one!

Good luck with your decision!

CB

·
Registered
231 Posts
One of the basic assumptions (I assume) is that if you are on a very tight budget, then perhaps a Ducati is not the right bike to own. If a $750 service charge every 6,000 miles (what's that - twice a year at most unless you are continuously touring) is excessive and difficult to swallow, then maybe a Honda is a better idea. And at about 40mpg (average) it isn't the most miserly fuel sipper either (though still better than a cage). One owns a Ducati pretty much for reasons other than economy. That's my humble opinion anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
"Maybe a Honda is a better idea." LOL :D I've got this 9 year old Valkyrie at 40,500 miles still running the OEM battery, it's never been charged. The valves were due for inspection at 8,000 miles, I've been meaning to get to it since 1999. The rubber cam belts are rated for 100,000 miles, I might inspect them at 10 years. I've changed tires 3 times, oil 9 times, plugs once, one light bulb, and NOTHING else. But it's not a Ducati. :(

·
Registered
105 Posts
..... mmmm .... Save us from rice-burner tire kickers!?

chamade said:
Thanks for the answers...I do about 15,000 miles a year so I think the ST3
for me is out of the question at this point. I am 26, there will still be time to
own a Ducati in the future :)

I think I'll go with the '06 Yamaha FZ1, rode it and the Triumph and the
Yamaha is a better ride for me.

·
Registered
588 Posts
DocMV... I'm with you. The initial thread precipitated a was a waste of a bunch of responders time. I sure get the impression the guys mind was made up before the question was even asked. File this one under DOA...

·
7,733 Posts
st2lemans said:
A Ducati purchase CAN'T be justified, so don't even try.

Just buy it!

Tom
That pretty much sums it up, though I think generally one has to be a lot older than 26 to appreciate that statement since it's safe to say Ducatis appeal more to the intangibles rather than the pragmatics he was concerned with. When your a little older, you appreciate different things. Ducatis are an acquired taste, like any other "non-appliance" bike out there. Give him 20 years, and he'll be riding one, cause like most of us, we too "always wanted one."

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't think age has anything to do with it! I'm only in my 20's and was faced with the same decision.

The Triumph was cheaper, by a fair bit. I just had to have a Ducati.

I do agree that $$$$ should have nothing to do with it, whether it be servicing or initial buy price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts