Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
94 900ss/cr. Got some drag on the front wheel, not sure if it's bearings or the blown out brake caliper. Removing calipers tonight, but the steering head bearings seem really tight and draggy. Since the "real world" parts list doesn't include front wheel bearings, headstock bearings, or swingarm bearings, I'm just going to toss this out.

I'm assuming that the front wheel bearings are a 17x47x12, which appears to be a bit of an odd duck...no pun intended. The rest is a punt.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
94 900ss/cr. Got some drag on the front wheel, not sure if it's bearings or the blown out brake caliper. Removing calipers tonight, but the steering head bearings seem really tight and draggy. Since the "real world" parts list doesn't include front wheel bearings, headstock bearings, or swingarm bearings, I'm just going to toss this out.

I'm assuming that the front wheel bearings are a 17x47x12, which appears to be a bit of an odd duck...no pun intended. The rest is a punt.
Best bet is to remove the bearing and take it to a local bearing supply house and have them match the code; it's not just size but also precision of manufacturing, lubrication, seal type and speed rating. For a wheel bearing I suggest avoiding the discount China import bearings that many will offer at $25 each. SKF is the brand of choice, originally Swedish but now manufactured globally; you'll pay dearly for these. I think I paid about $60 per bearing for mine locally. NSK is a good alternative to SKF that not everyone carries or knows about, originally Japanese but I think they have also gone global for manufacturing, expect them to cost less than SKF, but only by a moderate margin.

Steering head bearings are had pretty easily from any number of the usual Ducati aftermarket resources. I think I got my set at www.motowheels.com. www.allballsracing.com also has them though most of what All Balls sell is non-branded and made in China. Their photos are accurate, so you can see what you're actually going to get. Since these are load bearings and not speed bearings and considering I don't ride in the rain unless it's by accident - I use Phil Wood bicycle grease in mine to keep it smooth and quick.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
6303-2RS

47 x 17 x 14

Timken, SKF, ***, NSK in a pinch. $20 or less, each, without even trying.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
^^^ What SP3 wrote.^^^

SKF can be had at really small prices compared to what you get from the dealerships...and they'll sell you SKF.

Just as an example, I've seen websites, that aren't even dealerships selling clutch pressure plate release bearings for $20 or more. It's a tiny little SKF bearing that no kidding, goes for about a $1.10 at my local bearing supply. In fact, I'm headed there on my next day off to get steering head bearings myself....sean

·
Premium Member
5,190 Posts
Fyi: Ducatti part #751612054 front wheel bearing should be cheap enough from the dealer. $20.88 listed from Ducati Omaha and should be similar everywhere else. This is a good quality bearing and takes any guess work out of is it the right bearing.

Drag is almost never caused by a wheel bearing, that will probably be the sticking brake caliper. Clean the pistons and seals and make sure the brake lever has free play and you should be good.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Huh. I guess they saw me coming.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Does the "C3" make a difference? How are the BC Precision bearings? Anyone have the # for the rear bearings?

Trying to order bearings for the 900SS and the ST3S today.

Thx.

·
Registered
1994 900SS CR, 2002 998 Trackbike
303 Posts
If you have a local dirt bike shop, go there. They will have all sorts of wheel bearings in stock because dirt bikes eat those things. Ours are a very common size and my local shop had a variety of different types and brands in stock, for few dollars.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Does the "C3" make a difference? How are the BC Precision bearings? Anyone have the # for the rear bearings?

Trying to order bearings for the 900SS and the ST3S today.

Thx.
Yes. It means the bearing has greater than normal internal clearances, to allow it to spin at higher rpm's.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
also for when they are fitted inside bores or on shafts with interference, which compresses the outer or inner and reduces the clearance inside the bearing.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Thx for the clarification. Does anyone have the generic i.e. non-Ducati part # for the 900ss rear bearings?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts