Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just got a set of BT021's to replace the worn Metzelers.

Have read there are many fans of Dynabeads on here. I thought puncture safe would be a good move because no one wants flat tyre.

Obviously the beads won't work if the tyre is full of slime so which should I fill my tyres with for best results and to get the best life from the tyres?

·
Super Moderator
5,118 Posts
A friend of mine uses beads in his ST3 and likes them. I have a balancer and use weights. I used slime a loooong time ago (back in the tube days). Got a flat...air disappeared rapidly, scary. In the end...I still had a flat tire, a pulse rate of 180, and a big mess of slime in the rim.

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
I thought tire slime was only good for low RPM tires, like lawn equipment.

+1 for Dynabeads.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I use slime in tubed dirt or dual sport bikes, but not on tubeless street bikes.

I'm afraid the slime may hide problems until something drastic happens, and slime makes changing tubless tires a mess.

I insisted on weights on my last tire change (i really like the Angel ST tires) but next time I'm going with the beads.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Fit dyna-beads and then take a tyre repair and inflate kit with you.
I would rather know when I had a problem than wait for it to show at a more delicate moment in time.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I thought tire slime was only good for low RPM tires, like lawn equipment.
Nah we carry it on adventure bikes because we ride ride in the outback and can't afford to get stuck. The reason we don't just put it in and leave it in is that the instructions say not to use it over 100kmph. That makes it an excellent last resort, but rules it out as a day to day proposition.

They make slime for tubes and tubeless motorcycle tyres. If you decide to carry it note that you need two of the smallest bottles for a bike tyre.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Rossco - I think the type of slime the OP is referring to is the type you put inside the tyre before any puncture issue not the foam that you put in afterwards.
It stays liquid and seals any hole automatically , thus you can have multiple punctures without knowing you dont check the tyres regularly and the tyre fitters hate it because it is so messy.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Yeah you can use it afterwards as well. You pull the valve out put the green shit in spin the tyre to get a good coating and slowly reinflate. It is not so bad in tyres with tubes, dunno if i'd use it on a tubeless though.

If you leave it in all the time it has been known to harden with obvous consequences for tyre balance. Slime do also make a purpose built motorcycle air pump that comes in its own case. It is really handy and convenient.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts