Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Titanium (#196/500) in December of 2015. On mile #80, before I'd had the bike a full week, the starter sprag broke and I noticed a fork leaking. Those were replaced/repaired under warranty. Almost exactly a year later, I noticed areas of the finish on the titanium panels that were flaking away. I took it back to the dealer and the tank panel and seat cowl panel were both replaced under warranty. It took a full 3 months for those parts to come in.

When I got the bike back, i noticed that they'd done a s**t job on my bike. The number panel was lifted up from the tank panel on one side, the seams between panels were all uneven like a snaptite model. They'd also left out a screw from the back of the LCD display and the back of the housing was gaping open. I noticed at that time that the finish was also coming off the exhaust headers as well. The replacement titanium panels were also a different color than the ones that came on the bike. I took it back to the dealer to have these things addressed, prior to my warranty expiring (this December). After about 2 weeks, they called me and said that the "Rep" had authorized the replacement of the other panels, and that Ducati would pay to have the exhaust ceramic coated.

Two days ago, they called me to say that they'd noticed that the REPLACEMENT panels were starting to flake. They said that they again called "The Rep" and he'd authorized replacement of the REPLACEMENT panels as well, but this would take a while to get the parts, so they were bringing the bike back to me until the parts came in. Delivery was scheduled for this (today) am.

We had 4 inches of rain yesterday, with flash flooding in many areas.

I got the bike back this am and couldn't believe my eyes. The dealer had apparently let my bike sit outside in the rain yesterday, which, according to the dealer, is standard practice when the shop is full (!!!???). The water found its way under the clearcoat on the body panels, and the attached photos show the result.

This is a $28K motorcycle with 3K miles on the clock.

I called the dealer immediately, completely livid. He (parts mgr) was apologetic and said he'd get "The Rep" on the phone with me right away to "make this right."

An hour later, parts mgr called me again to say that "The Rep" wouldn't talk to me (!) and that he'd said the reason the replacement panels were also defective was that they came from the SAME BATCH as the originals, and he would have all the panels replaced with ones from a NEW BATCH.

This is a production run of 500 bikes. I'm supposed to believe that there is was another "batch" of panels made to support 500 bikes???

Furthermore, by the time the panels finally make it to the dealer, my warranty will be expired. I have zero faith right now in these replacement parts from this "new batch," but I will have zero recourse when they start to disintegrate!

I voiced these concerns with the parts mgr, and again, very apologetic, he gave me the phone number to Ducati Customer Service and told me I could call them.

I don't know what to do at this point. I have a dealer who let my bike sit outside in a monsoon while in their shop for repair, a Ducati "Rep" who won't talk to me, a practically new bike that looks like it came from a scrap heap, a warranty that expires in 60 days, but I have a phone number for Ducati Customer Service...

Please if anyone can give me any advice on how to make sure I don't get it broken off inside me, I'd really appreciate it. And if there are any other Titanium owners who are having a similar experience, please report.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are some pics of the REPLACEMENT panels, after my dealer let the bike sit outside during a monsoon yesterday.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Well, there are definitely QC issues out of Ducati. That has been evidenced by many threads.
They appear to be making an effort to resolve it. Perhaps it isn't a process that doesn't repeat the same error and that is a process error. Often, many people in a company get caught up in procedures devised by a few. Be careful who you get mad at. The ceramic coating is certainly a reasonable solution that will cost them.

The warranty period describes when an issue is presented to the company, not when it is resolved. Otherwise, it would not be a warranty and the period would be meaningless. Documentation is important but you seem to have a ton of evidence so I would not worry about it. It will be interesting to see if they try to financially compensate you, allow custom work, or provide a "factory" solution. If you can find other owners, you can determine if you have gotten two rotten eggs from the basket or if the entire basket is rotten. I imagine there was a chemical issue with the coating.

As far as putting the bike outside for a night, that seems to have just accelerated a problem while it was under warranty rather than after. That's a good thing. Unless the shop states that overnight storage will be inside, I think that is pretty common procedure. If they put a bike out into a hail storm or monsoon water fall conditions without covers, they may bare some responsibility but under normal conditions, that should not affect the bike. Many people keep their bikes outside, period.

I had a tree fall on my car and took it to a shop that told me and witnesses that the car would not be outside at all. I took pictures of it in a closed outdoor lot with the masking tape and paper still on it from being sprayed in the rain. My friend had suggested we go look while we were driving by in the evening. The next day, I confronted them and the agent walked off and the counter girl said no one would come out to talk to me. They did such a piss poor job that I took it somewhere else to be redone. This was the largest company in my city. Cheaper than suing them due to my time committments, but I would have if I had had the time to do so, just on the principal. Several hundred people have commented that my Yelp review, that they can not contest because of my documentation, helped. I mean, for example, they clear coated over one of my headlights instead of masking it off.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your insights Jahjah. I feel like I have been extremely understanding and patient throughout this ordeal. From the first problems in my first week of ownership of this bike, I have not raised my voice at anyone, I have not called anyone any names, I have not cursed at anybody. Now, however, when there seems to be no one either at the dealership or the manufacturer who is willing or able to help resolve this, i'm becoming impatient and upset.. especially with the looming warranty expiration. I'm not looking to sue anyone or anything like that; I'm just looking to protect this huge investment I've made into this motorcycle, and to keep from getting screwed.

As far as the bike being outside... I would be a lot more understanding if this was a $5k scrambler with a vinyl seat, and if the weather was nice. But this is a $28K bike with an Alcantara suede seat, and the rain yesterday caused flooding that had streets closed (and some washed out) in my city. I can't bring myself to believe that is common or acceptable. It's certainly not acceptable for MY bikes, and thanks to your post, henceforth I will ALWAYS make sure that I get a guarantee of indoor storage from anyone I take a motorcycle to for service.

·
Premium Member
12,385 Posts
That is a sad story.
I do hope you didn't buy to make a ton of money when they appreciate in value in a few years, That rarely works out in the short run.

I would be pissed beyond pissed at the dealer and Ducati BUT Ducati has to work thru the dealer, They are the ones who should be working their asses off to keep you a happy customer.
Imagine a dealer rep working with an irate (understandable) owner.
Dealer should do all possible and step up to the plate to make it right.
I am not very familiar with the exact model and special paint, But with the exhaust it is an exhaust and they get all knarly with use expect some patina.

I would go to a well known paint shop and seek advice on how to keep it looking new.

You must allow the shop & Ducati a chance to do their thing.
Sounds like the shop mechanics are under too much pressure from upper management to make sure it is done no matter what it costs ( Shops hate to lose money or not make 100% of the projected profit from the 'book rate") if they do it faster than the book rate they make even more money.

I would go higher than the shop manager and seek out the owners to bitch at.

But it will go smoother if you remain calm on the outside, Using the "I'm getting a lawyer" card may make it worse and they may dig their heels in and make it MUCH worse.

But don't get pushed around and be taken advantage of with your calmness either.
What about getting another dealer to do the work that the shop obviously can't handle?

I would go that route.
I will not let my dealer who sold me the bike work on it, they BSed me when I picked it up and I let them know that I knew I was being BSed and the have never worked on my bike I do go to that shop and all is good , cept they will not get to work on it.

I travel sometimes 200 miles to get the TRUSTED work done, Just the way I want it to be done. It Does cost more but I accept that am 100% good with the extra work I do for my ride.

Pay to play.
I feel your pain and I would have loaded the bike up right there and then when they did that to your bike . I would have said do not touch it.

Have fun and ride the storm out, and get used to the fact that your bike ain't that special to anybody else cept you!
And you are the one who has to be happy about your ride and how you want it to look.

Personally I love shiny paint and don't care for the matte finishes etc.
I paid extra for two tone paint and Tuxedo Black and Pueblo Gold, on my truck, I don't really care about the looks as much as reliability, looking back I would rather gone basic and keep the cash But thats how it came.
Have all your questions ready and ask SPECIFICALLY WHEN AND HOW AND HOW LONG is it going to take?
Ducati can overnite the parts etc. It may take some pushing on your part, Keep your anger under control .

The TRICK is to make them feel sorry for you! Make them want to help a fella out. Some shops it won't work. find another shop. Word of mouth is the best way to find a good shop.
good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
After looking at your pics - there is a major issue with the clear coat - water should not get under it for any reason -
i think this might go with the flaking rocker issue as it's probably a subcontractor that are supplying the panels
also I am in the repair industry - once they accept the vehicle they are insured under a "CARE CUSTODY AND CONTROL" CLAUSE IN THEIR INSURANCE - MEANING THAT ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO THE MACHINE WHILE IN THEIR CUSTODY IS THEIR RESPONSIBILITY and if they mess up and the bike catches on fire or or something fails that they service / touched they are responsible -
you as the client should not be put to such abuse as the S.M refused to speak with you - which is bad FORM - the Parts manager is doing the right thing and dealing with your concerns - the Ducati rep will probably not speak to you unless pushed real hard - as they deal with the dealers and warranty - they usually will not deal with the retail customers - not their JOB to deal with the consumer only the dealership -

·
Registered
315 Posts
Sorry to hear about everything. Like others have mentioned, keep the dialogue with the parts manager going. If you feel like it is not getting anywhere, I would contact Ducati NA. I understand the rep does not deal with individual customers but he needs to make some effort to assure you it will be fixed correctly. A little reassurance goes a long way. Best of luck and keep calm.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I would contact Ducati NA ASAP as that was how I got things moving quickly with my Hyper repair.

Direct number is 1-888-391-5446. They were excellent when I dealt with them but being nice will go a long way.

Still have the number programmed in my phone hahah

Reactions: RBRDKY

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update

There have been some developments in the saga...

After posting this thread here (and others on a few other boards), I sent an email to my dealer's service manager, including links to these forum posts. Several days later, I got a phone call from someone at Ducati North America. He said that he'd been forwarded my email by "one of [his] field reps" and he was very sorry for the experience I was having. He said that Ducati was going to extend my factory warranty by 2 years, and that he was working on how to do that for documentation purposes. I thanked him profusely for this, but I also pressed on the issue of the exhaust finish.

They'd previously told me that they didn't want to replace the exhaust because the problem would simply recur, and offered instead to have the bike's exhaust refinished and ceramic coated by a third party shop. I told him that I wasn't really satisfied with this solution, as it would result in a bike that was no longer "stock;" I feel that the whole value of this limited edition motorcycle is in its finish, and my fear is that their solution would decrease the value of the bike in the long term.

I asked him instead to consider replacing the exhaust system with the full Termi system... this would give me a bike that was still "stock," since the Termi system is a factory option, and this upgrade would show good faith on their part towards making things right. He told me that my request was very reasonable, and although he couldn't promise that, he would try to make it happen. I thanked him again for taking the time to call me personally.

A few of weeks later (last week) I got a call from the service manager at my dealership, who told me that they'd located a termi system on a "demo" bike that they were going to remove and ship to my dealership for installation on my bike. He said they'd received all of the titanium bodywork replacement parts, and that the rep said they were working on giving me something in writing regarding the extended warranty.

So... if they do indeed deliver on what they've promised me, I will be completely satisfied and my Ducati fanboy status restored 100 percent. I will post more updates as things occur, but this doesn't seem to be a quick process. I'm okay with that, as long as the end result is Ducati being true to their word.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts