Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious about the BB1 Supermono as I don't see it mentioned around here much. I've seen a few for sale in the UK and it seems to have a popular following in Europe.

I had the oppourtunity to purchase a Supermono Corsa (the factory prepped race bike [I think?]) a while back (didn't happen though), and since then I've had a bit of a thing for them.

Just wondering if there are any around here and what's your experience with them?

Here's a pic of Team Valuecycle's BB1 race bike:

·
Registered
193 Posts
I heard they vibrate quite a bit, and are prone to cracking the frame where the engine mounts. I think Bruce Allison had one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello,

I live in France and I have a Bimota Supermono. I love this bike : very light, thin and beautiful.
The vibrations are normal for a mono cylinder under 5000 rpm, but beyond they become really thrilling and you have the impression to ride a different bike with a furious engine.
It delivers great sensations without going faster than 190 km/h. Great bike on small curvy roads.

I heard that the two main problems of the Supermono were the immerged fuel pump that did not last long and the chain that 'attacked' the swingarm if you do not use a plastic protection (this is a real problem).

The Supermono did not have the expected success at its time because usual Bimota customers found it was not powerful enough. But today in Europe with all the speed limitations in Europe it sounds more like an advantage to keep your driving licence...

And sorry for my poor english.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Had the chance to buy one, rode it, and passed. Not particularly fast (slow to be blunt) lived up to its reputation as a cocktail shaker, and the handling wasn't anything special. There were a handful brought into the US by Bob Smith, and they were a hard sell as a road bike. I'd spend my money elsewhere, but YMMV. Dave

·
Registered
296 Posts
Bob Smith (former Bimota importer for USA) told me that 25 of these came into the USA. I've owned two in my life, both red monoposto.

The first was all original and in perfect condition (in fact, was the display bike in the Chandler Museum). I think they're a beautiful machine...and they are VERY light and very flickable.
They also are underpowered, which is the reason I sold this one to a SoCal collector.

A few years later I had the opportunity to purchase one with a highly modified Ron Wood motor (60 RWH), and I couldn't resist. The bike now had very nice power (a great sound too). I found that the OEM Paoli suspension was wanting, plus my body type (6 ft & long arms) really didn't fit well on the bike.

My wife rode it for a while and liked it (the vibration?!..hmmm..), but ultimately our other bikes would get the nod for a ride, so I sold this one also.

Recently I've been told that the Paoli suspension can be played with a bit to gain acceptable performance. Honestly, I never tried (other than to work with the factory adjustments).

Bruce

·
Registered
20 Posts
Probably the least favorite Bimota in my stable.

Vibration bad , even for a single, and HP lacking.

Worst knee bender of the bunch, also.

To ride, I would take my MZ single over it, anytime.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts