Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bayliss represented the Ducati's well yesterday with 2 second place finishes. At the moment he is the WSB points leader. The Yamaha's looked really fast the 1st few laps but drops off around the 1/2-1/3 of the race. Maybe a different tire choice put them in the winners circle. Of course the suzuki's looked good, but the Ducati's were fastest through the corners. A little lacking in the exits and straights. Hopefully the Ducati's will look this good for the AMA as well. The tracks are slower and a bit more technical
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Customary to put the term "spoiler" in the header of those threads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
The racing was very good indeed, but, while it's still too soon to tell, I think there's reason for concern. Bayliss was clearly over-riding the bike, and came away with no wins and no laps lead. Starts, normally a Ducati advantage, were not. They were clearly out-gunned on the straights(not much surprise there), but the I-4's could out-grunt them off of the corners, another former advantage. I see a tough year ahead...but I've been wrong before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
tjfdesmo said:
The racing was very good indeed, but, while it's still too soon to tell, I think there's reason for concern. Bayliss was clearly over-riding the bike, and came away with no wins and no laps lead. Starts, normally a Ducati advantage, were not. They were clearly out-gunned on the straights(not much surprise there), but the I-4's could out-grunt them off of the corners, another former advantage. I see a tough year ahead...but I've been wrong before.
Don't panic yet. Lots of good things already. Ducati has two excellent riders and both are suited to riding twins. Bayliss did great for his first time back on a superbike and Lanzi will be fine. There will be other tracks that better suit the Ducs.

Losail doesn't offer many places to pass. Once the I-4's got ahead on the straight, it was hard for Bayliss to use his higher corner speed to pass a four tying up the only line. Again, other tracks will be a different story. Long-term, the I-4's have more potential as they are early in their development and the Duc has been honed for many years. Should be a great year for WSB. Maybe better than MotoGP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
306 Posts
MikeM said:
Don't panic yet. Lots of good things already. Ducati has two excellent riders and both are suited to riding twins. Bayliss did great for his first time back on a superbike and Lanzi will be fine. There will be other tracks that better suit the Ducs.

Losail doesn't offer many places to pass. Once the I-4's got ahead on the straight, it was hard for Bayliss to use his higher corner speed to pass a four tying up the only line. Again, other tracks will be a different story. Long-term, the I-4's have more potential as they are early in their development and the Duc has been honed for many years. Should be a great year for WSB. Maybe better than MotoGP.
Panic?...hardly. It is evident, though, that the age of the twin may be drawing to a close. Bayliss will no dout "carry" the bike as necessary. Lanzi is a very capable rider, but still a little green and, as such, will probably be hot and cold. I just think the glory days of Ducati laying waste to the field have passed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,913 Posts
As long as Honda is behind I'm somewhat happy. Just love to see the mighty Honda machine not win. I think Rossi put a jinx on them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
MikeM said:
Don't panic yet. Lots of good things already. Ducati has two excellent riders and both are suited to riding twins. Bayliss did great for his first time back on a superbike and Lanzi will be fine. There will be other tracks that better suit the Ducs.

Losail doesn't offer many places to pass. Once the I-4's got ahead on the straight, it was hard for Bayliss to use his higher corner speed to pass a four tying up the only line. Again, other tracks will be a different story. Long-term, the I-4's have more potential as they are early in their development and the Duc has been honed for many years. Should be a great year for WSB. Maybe better than MotoGP.
as much as the i4's do have the hp in the straights, mike summed it up pretty well. yesterday's races had nothing to do with ducati not getting off corners well, in fact if you watch closely they seemed to get off corners better than anything else out there. the problem was that lasail only offers one line with minimal places to pass which kept bayliss pinned down on corner exits. i don't think it was a case of "bayliss over-riding the ducati" as much as it was him trying to force a new line (that doesn't exist at lasail) to make something happen. case in point, with no traffic in front of him, he was able to make up over a second within 2 laps. tires or not, i didn't see any other bikes capable of that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Corser did win the second race.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
chiromikey said:
yeah, i think we knew that already but thanks anyways. ;)
Ducati is already pressing to get the superbike limit raised to 1200ccs for twins. I think that's going to be a tough go especially with Bayliss as competitive as he was last weekend but WSB would be tremendously boring without them. Could anything be worse than 20 cookie-cutter four-cylinder bikes at every race??? Even a field with only 20 Ducatis would be much better than that. At least it would sound good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
i know how wonderful the i-4's are. that said, i just can't stand to listen to them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
I love the sound of the I-4's, just not the big-bang, long-bang, twin-bang, etc motoGP style firing-order ones. The contrast of sounds with the Ducs is really cool, IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
the reason bayliss didn't win is because he got lousy starts, even with traction control he couldn't get off the line, he was faster than anyone else going through the corners but he could not pass because he did not have enough HP to do it. between his 2002 bike and the one he races now there's only abut 6 to 7 HP difference...........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
tduc said:
the reason bayliss didn't win is because he got lousy starts, even with traction control he couldn't get off the line...........
i wouldn't say "even with traction control", i'd say "BECAUSE OF traction control he (they!) couldn't get off the line". both bayliss and lanzi looked like amatures at the starting line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
MikeM said:
Ducati is already pressing to get the superbike limit raised to 1200ccs for twins. I think that's going to be a tough go especially with Bayliss as competitive as he was last weekend but WSB would be tremendously boring without them. Could anything be worse than 20 cookie-cutter four-cylinder bikes at every race??? Even a field with only 20 Ducatis would be much better than that. At least it would sound good.
In an article in MCN(Oz version)Domenicalli made a point about the various weight limits for the different engine configurations in MotoGp and wondered why this didn't apply in World Superbikes.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top