Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

What should I do?

• Do another kit (same kit different year)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do nothing or ? (Give details)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What say you guys about these?

I like the one CutGraphix sells for $299US.

I'm thinking about putting this on my 748. Rod at CG says he'll supply red overlays to make sure the Shell "shell" covers my "748s" and "desmoquattro" but I don't know if I like that.

I LIKE sponsored bikes or look-a-likes and am not concerned too much with opinions about how much of a poser I'd look like. I know I'm a poser since I'm not sponsored but I would like to dress up the bike with one of these kits and feel this "style" suits this bike the best...

I've already installed one of their number plates so I guess I can manage this entire kit but I'm a little leery of the process of stretching a decal over intakes, vents and oil level check ports and then slicing it to then pull and stretch the remainders in and around the openings...

I happen to like THIS particular version because it's light blue and not so "Christmas" looking AND the InfoStrada decal is smaller and under the heat exit vents. I also like the little wiggle logo and the placement of some of the others along with the deletion of the Playstation controller etc.

Here are their other kits --> http://cutgrafix.com/Ducati%20replicas.htm

My Bike as is except for a CF chainguard and SA cover and I replaced a peeling Forza sticker with Termi decals so I'm 2% there already LOL:

Should I do it?

·
Registered
535 Posts
I did a Bayliss-kit from Cutgrafix last year.
I was amazed how it transferred the look of the bike, from rather dull to very lively.

Although first time working with vinyl, I followed CF's instructions, got my time (2 days for several hours will do), and, important, prepared everything very well (including a clean floor and warm environment).

Although I made some small mistakes (which basically only I see as I know they are there), generally it worked very well.

Most important is:
- to really know where u want to have each decal (I cut every one of them as tight as possible, and sticked them on the bike with some tape)
- to get the water with soap right, this will allow you to play around with the decals for a long time before they stick.
- to practice a bit with the hair blower and its heat. The number plate in the front is the most curved and needs the most work, but u rather try to experience with the blower on some smaller decals first. It is amazing what u can do with heat on vinyl, but get it wrong and u can order a new one from Rod.

On your question of overlays: I had slightly larger decals made by Rod to cover my tank decals. It works, but not perfect.
Due to the height difference, the old DUCATI is still visible, special in day light shading.
It is the reason I left the decals on the fairings as they were, not a perfect copy therefore but better looking.

If you go for the red overlays, make sure u put the decal a bit higher, and have the red overlay below the decal, only stopping at the bottom of your mid fairing. That way it will be less visible.

Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response!!

I've already done the front number plate so that won't be too bad or at least I know how bad it WILL be!!

I have my other decals from Rod and using a photo cutter, I swapped the big ducati performance decals by cutting them apart and when doing so, I cut through the letters. I told him and he sent a new one and was very nice about it.

I like your bike. I need to do this!

·
Registered
36 Posts
If your bike was anything but a Ducati, then I would say you were a poser. Since it is a Duc, put race graphics on it!

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
While I do not like sponsor graphics on non-race bikes, you obviously do.

So do it already! You will love it.

Why ask us whether you should do so? :D

(Great help from Eric however.)

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
I think your only dilemma will be keeping it clean without causing lifting of the edges of the decals. Everyone and their brother (including me) will tell you to clearcoat it once applied, so did CG give you cleaning and wiping tips if it's not cleared?

·
Registered
535 Posts
I think your only dilemma will be keeping it clean without causing lifting of the edges of the decals. Everyone and their brother (including me) will tell you to clearcoat it once applied, so did CG give you cleaning and wiping tips if it's not cleared?
I did not clearcoat the decals, as I still intend to have the bike one day painted in a high quality paint, and then apply the same decals once again to bring it back to original (My bike is/was an original Bayliss, lost all its plastics and decals in the years before I bought her. I wonder how she lost them :alien:).

It is amazing how the decals stick (though it need several months and lots of parking in the sun I guess).
Still, I take it very easy on the stickers, specially the loose letters like the MOTOROLA ones need careful handling.

I managed though, and we got lots of flies and mosquito's here in China :D

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have a problem with the current decals which are VERY multi-pieced. The brembo ones are especially small as are the Magnetti Marelli ones...

A few good rubbings of Zaino and their finishing spray do wonders to keep even dust from sticking so no need to ever wash OR run a scrubby sponge or anything similar across them.

IF I sell my old Glock 32 I will maybe upgrade to the Ebay HK fairing kits. I love the Alice ones but that's soooo not 748. The XEROX isn't either but looks very doable. They also have the InfoStrada ones and the L&M ones as well as MonsterMob and everything else. IIRC, one that I really like, maybe the Alice ones with barcode, have SanDisk but NO other decals on the bottom so I would have to spend $75 to finish those off AND the tail has nothing and comes in solid red. I guess I'd leave my stock tail on and get some Sandisk and Alice decals for it.

What is Alice and what do they do? Is it a track or a sponsor?

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
You know my thoughts, but that's why I have mine the way it is. The kits look good. If that's what you like, by all means DO IT.

Too many people are woried about what other people think. When my boss started dating his current girlfriend, his friends disliked and resented her. Fuck them. If she makes him happy, good for him. Ignore the rest.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
If you like it, do it.

Ericjansen, is that your bike in the before/after photos? I am curious because I "oooh'ed" out lout when I saw the 998R, but then got confused when your sig says 998S.

Which is it, S or R?

·
Registered
535 Posts
If you like it, do it.
Ericjansen, is that your bike in the before/after photos? I am curious because I "oooh'ed" out lout when I saw the 998R, but then got confused when your sig says 998S.
Which is it, S or R?
Got to disappoint you ... it's a S...
Bought it like the "before" pictures.
Traced it back with Ducati; It was originally a Bayliss replica, sold in Japan. Guess it was crashed, lost all of its bodywork, and someone replaced it with carbon. The belly, the mid-fairings (R) and front fender are originally Ducati-carbon parts. The rear and top fairing are not carbon though. It also lost the Ohlins front :eek:

Still the basis of the bike is good (I checked it over and over again as I was so afraid to buy something I should later regret. My plan still is (but delayed due to reduced income in the last 6 months) to bring it back to original step by step, and mount radial calipers. I got the forks already but need the other parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
It's still a beautiful bike!

·
Registered
1 Posts
nice!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Adam. So now that I'm heading back to work Monday, I will probably just spring for a body kit. I'd like to keep my 748 style fairings with the large radiator vents but now I can probably even look into the larger 996 "clean" fairings if I want...

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Thanks Adam. So now that I'm heading back to work Monday, I will probably just spring for a body kit. I'd like to keep my 748 style fairings with the large radiator vents but now I can probably even look into the larger 996 "clean" fairings if I want...
? 748 had different fairings then a 996? I wasn't aware of that....:confused:

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
I think he's referring to the 2002(?)+ fairings with the metal screens by the knees but without all the ducts on the sides.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts