Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'd like to do a 100+/- mile best of ride sunday 3/29. I have been on most of these roads but not china or alpine all the way through. Do any of you bay veterans have any suggestions to make this a better route? I have a couple friends coming out and want to show them the best. Everyone is welcome to ride, leaving from Saratoga starbucks, kickstands up at 10:15 am. I'd like to see some hypers show up. Alice's at 10:45 if you want to hop on there.

9 (frontside) > 35 > 84 > Stage > Pescadero > Alpine > 35 > 9 (backside) > 236 > China Grade > 236 > 9 (backside) > Bear Creek > 35 > 9 (frontside) > Saratoga

it would be nice to stay away from to much of the black and white speckle type asphalt that camouflages road debris-stagecoach comes to mind as an example. also not interested in a bunch of first gear type corners.

Click on this link to see map with waypoints. THANKS-Chris

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Big+Basin+Way/CA-9&daddr=17308+Skyline+Blvd,+Woodside,+CA,+to:CA-84/La+Honda+Rd/San+Gregorio+Rd+to:3862+Stage+Rd,+South+Coastside,+CA+to:Stage+Rd+to:Pescadero+Creek+Rd+to:6800+Alpine+Rd,+South+Coastside,+CA,+to:CA-35+&+Alpine+Rd+to:Big+Basin+Way,+Los+Gatos,+Santa+Cruz,+California+95033+to:Big+Basin+Way,+Los+Gatos,+Santa+Cruz,+California+95033+to:CA-236+to:19672+China+Grade+Rd,+Seaside,+CA,+to:Big+Basin+Way/CA-236+to:13300+Big+Basin+Way,+Boulder+Creek,+CA+95006+(Scopazzi's)+to:14340+Bear+Creek+Rd,+San+Lorenzo+Valley,+CA+to:20352+Bear+Creek+Rd,+San+Lorenzo+Valley,+CA+to:Skyline+Blvd,+San+Lorenzo+Valley,+CA,+to:Big+Basin+Way/CA-9&geocode=FVR7OAIdyuK5-A;;FXCQOQIdCOu0-A;;FSGKOAIdaJG0-A;FeSUOAIdaKe1-A;;FYVhOQIdEJK3-CEf3EhA5-4emg;;;FWusNwIdhAO4-A;;FeTYNgIdege4-A;FZl8NgIdFoi4-CEctWoWLrnX4A;;;;FWBvOAId3sS5-A&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=37.248914,-122.106857&sspn=0.309364,0.468292&ie=UTF8&ll=37.255473,-122.208481&spn=0.309337,0.468292&t=h&z=11

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
ciao chris -

if your up for a really epic ride ... try highway 25.

you have to slab it down 85 south, to 101 south, then take the highway 25 exit just south of gilroy.

stay on 25 into hollister, and make sure to gas up ALL THE WAY at one of the gas stations in hollister.

then take 25 south out of hollister and prepare for 100 miles of pure riding bliss. no cars, no po po, every type of turn and twist you can imagine, and then there is the roller coaster straight section through the vineyards.

stay on 25 all the way until it t-intersects with 98. you can either make a left and head east towards coalinga (this is route i suggest, as there is a gas station right as you enter coalinga), and grab mexican food in coalinga, or head all the way east to 5 and hit harris ranch for a steak or burger. then backtrack your route home.

or, you can make a right on 98, heading west over to 101, take 101 north and grab gas as soon as you can ... then stop in king city for food, then take 101 north, exit on thorne road west, make a left on arroyo seco road, which turns into carmel valley road, stay on carmel valley road until you hit highway 1, then head north, and either take san jose soquel road east up to skyline, head north to old santa cruz road and head east over to 17, then stop in los gatos for coffee, or head home.

i am warning you to gas up every chance you get, as these are long twisty roads. best if you can take friends who have larger fuel tank bikes ... and a syphon, so you can grab gas for your tard.

also, i am warning you that highway 25 is the absolute best all round road in the united states for motorcycles ... everything from tight "up against the hills" twisties, to wide open sweepers with 100% visibility, so you can just rail the corners.

depending on how the european bike show goes on sat the 28th (at santa clara fairgrounds), i might be up to join you if you take highway 25.

ciao,
johnc

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey John
Thanks for the heads up about 25. Let's put it together on the following weekend april 4th or 5th. This sounds like 200+ miles round trip. What do you think about a BARF & Grouprides.net posting for this one?
As for this weekend, my friends are riding out from manteca and I don't want to double the commute home for them from Hollister and beyond. Besides all they hear about is are hills here. I fully understand that you don't want to ride the Woodside loop for the 900th time.-no problem
Could I get some feedback on my projected route. Is Alpine Road from Pescadaro all the way up to 35 a good ride? What can you say about Bear creek rd? Any other roads that should not be missed? I've been hearing about a Redwood rd somewhere in the Woodside area but can't locate it, know about it?Any good?
Tunitas creek looks good on a map -how'zit ride?
Just trying to put an Epic Woodside ride together, sorry for all the ????
I'm going to try and make it to Snell Bucks on tuesday night if you want to talk about it there instead
thanks, Chris

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
ciao chris -

let's keep the highway 25 ride to a small group ... when you get a bunch of folks together on any ride, it turns into a parade for calamari very quickly.

of the routes you suggest, i would go with the alpine to 35 route ... start out at base of 9 in saratoga, ride up to 35, north to alice's, west on 84 to pescadero creek, then just continue on pescadero creek until it becomes alpine, then stay on alpine until it crosses 35 and becomes page mill, then continue on page mill until you hit moody, and continue on moody until you hit the back side of foothill college, and then you can take 280 south to wherever.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
...of the routes you suggest, i would go with the alpine to 35 route ... start out at base of 9 in saratoga, ride up to 35, north to alice's, west on 84 to pescadero creek, then just continue on pescadero creek until it becomes alpine, then stay on alpine until it crosses 35 and becomes page mill, then continue on page mill until you hit moody, and continue on moody until you hit the back side of foothill college, and then you can take 280 south to wherever.
Shhhhhh, John, you're going to screw up my commute.

Sick50ford, if you don't like 1st gear turns, bad pavement or Stage Road, why did you get a Hyper in the first place?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shhhhhh, John, you're going to screw up my commute.

Sick50ford, if you don't like 1st gear turns, bad pavement or Stage Road, why did you get a Hyper in the first place?
I like stage road just dislike the color of the ground. its hides gravel and strips confidence. 1st gear turns are cool but I just don't want a suggested route to be into first on every turn. I bought a hyper for 2nd gear havoc

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Where ever you go make sure it is good prep for the April 20 Buttonwillow track day!!! It's time you norcal boys came out to play!!!

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
I'm not into the large group rides either.Attracts way too much attention.Is it really necessary to do a wheelie in downtown Saratoga? Two of my favorites are Pagemill and 9 (skyline to boulder creek).

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not into the large group rides either.Attracts way too much attention.Is it really necessary to do a wheelie in downtown Saratoga? Two of my favorites are Pagemill and 9 (skyline to boulder creek).
thanks go to those with tips on other roads. if someone was offended by me pulling up the front a few inches in downtown. I was excited to get started. I f'ed up and I am sorry. will not happen again.

ok I get it. no large groups. that's cool. its like hosting a poker game. invite 20. to get 8 to show up. so I want 5 to ride....sometimes you need to invite 10

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
thanks go to those with tips on other roads. if someone was offended by me pulling up the front a few inches in downtown. I was excited to get started. I f'ed up and I am sorry. will not happen again.

ok I get it. no large groups. that's cool. its like hosting a poker game. invite 20. to get 8 to show up. so I want 5 to ride....sometimes you need to invite 10
Hey Chris, I was'nt even referring to you directly on my wheelie comment!:eek: I guess that just proves how many people do it. My concern is after a while, a sleepy little towns residents might get tired of it and ask the cops to crack down on riders.Same with riding in large, loud groups.I guess I'm getting old.Don't get me wrong, I have my fun, I just try to piss off as few people as possible.With the great roads and riding we have here in the hills, I'm surprised there isn't more police activity.Just want to keep it that way.:)

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
There is a low possibility I would go skiing next weekend but everything might be melted by then:eek:, therefore I am most likely in for a ride on Sunday:)

I rode last Saturday and had lunch with Bill at Alice's. It was not supposed to rain before 4p, but of course it already did by 1pm:rolleyes: Idid a few twisties like page mill / alpine and I have to admit the backend was moving more than I wished for my comfort as the roads are still dirty.

Now next weekend is completely different story, we do not have a drop of rain planned for the next 10 days. Next weekend will be crowded with bikes, bicycles, and of course LEOs (especially on 9 skyline). I will do my classics on Page Mill, Alpine & all (i.e. Bill's commute). We can rive in multiple groups like supermoto style on goat trails vs. superbike style. The easiest would be to all meet for lunch at one place. Let's avoid Alice's, and do our usual Gazos Grill (intersection of Gazos creek and 1) at noon.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ha, I was wondering how you knew Neil! I literally pulled up about 3 inches for a millisecond last time through. immediately I thought how dumb it was to do in downtown.
Not wanting to be in large group makes perfect sense. But it would be so right if it was a pack of all Ducati's. Neil how bout it? Do you want to head down to hollister with us next weekend?
I only really mentioned the group ride posting for hollister because none of my regulars should make it. So with a quick head count that would be 1-Me 2-john. I know john knows a ton of people so I'm going to leave it up to him and this forum for invitations.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Ha, I was wondering how you knew Neil! I literally pulled up about 3 inches for a millisecond last time through. immediately I thought how dumb it was to do in downtown.
Not wanting to be in large group makes perfect sense. But it would be so right if it was a pack of all Ducati's. Neil how bout it? Do you want to head down to hollister with us next weekend?
I only really mentioned the group ride posting for hollister because none of my regulars should make it. So with a quick head count that would be 1-Me 2-john. I know john knows a ton of people so I'm going to leave it up to him and this forum for invitations.
That hollister ride sounds like it could be fun, but who's this John dude?:p
We're talking about the 4th or 5th right?

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
I like stage road just dislike the color of the ground. its hides gravel and strips confidence. 1st gear turns are cool but I just don't want a suggested route to be into first on every turn. I bought a hyper for 2nd gear havoc
Don't worry Chris, I know exactly why you bought the Hyper. I was just ribbing you.

If y'all are in the neighborhood this weekend, stop by and/or let know if you're grabbing lunch nearby.

I'll sweep the driveway for you.

A loop you might consider is Hwy 1 south from Carmel, cut over to King City thru Hunter Liggett (have registration and proof of insurance), G13 to Hwy 25 north. Lelen, is this doable fuel range-wise?

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
john is a minchia :rolleyes:

i have to attend the european motorcycle show this sat @ santa clara county fairgrounds ... have a booth space for nor cal ducati DOC.

if you cazzos want to ride on sunday, i am down with that.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's already decided, we'll pick you up for lunch at noon at Gazos Grill:D

O.K. Let me get this straight. we will meet at 12 and then eat at the grill? and then proceed into the woodside area riding? if i got this right i will bring my party through the backside of 9 in the morning and do pescadaro with the hyper crew after lunch.

kickstand up at 10:15 from downtown saratoga starbucks for the early birds

here is my new morning route to the grill map link.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=14410+Big+Basin+Way,+Saratoga,+CA+95070&daddr=9984+CA-9,+San+Lorenzo+Valley,+CA+to:1016+Pine+Flat+Rd,+Seaside,+CA+to:37.069971,-122.232857+to:5088+Cabrillo+Hwy,+South+Coastside,+CA&hl=en&geocode=&mra=dme&mrcr=2,3&mrsp=3&sz=12&sll=37.069423,-122.169685&sspn=0.11889,0.21492&ie=UTF8&ll=37.167977,-122.113037&spn=0.474939,0.85968&z=10

·
Registered
63 Posts
stay on 25 into hollister, and make sure to gas up ALL THE WAY at one of the gas stations in hollister.
You can get gas a little further south in Tres Pinos. There are also a couple of places where you can bail out to 101 to find gas.

then take 25 south out of hollister and prepare for 100 miles of pure riding bliss. no cars, no po po, every type of turn and twist you can imagine, and then there is the roller coaster straight section through the vineyards.
Um, I've encountered LEO's out there. Just sayin' :(

stay on 25 all the way until it t-intersects with 98. you can either make a left and head east towards coalinga (this is route i suggest, as there is a gas station right as you enter coalinga), and grab mexican food in coalinga,
FWIW it's 198. Good call. Nice road. For variety, you can turn off onto Coalinga-Los Gatos Rd near Bitterwater and pass by the Clear Creek entrance. Nice goaty road. Have a friend a long with a bigger fuel tank. It will take you to Coalinga, then then you can head west on 198 back to Hwy 25 for the trip back north, making a nice loop.

i am warning you to gas up every chance you get, as these are long twisty roads. best if you can take friends who have larger fuel tank bikes ... and a syphon, so you can grab gas for your tard.
Good advice

also, i am warning you that highway 25 is the absolute best all round road in the united states for motorcycles ... everything from tight "up against the hills" twisties, to wide open sweepers with 100% visibility, so you can just rail the corners.
I love 25, but...... I'd only tell someone this to keep them off 36. :D

I'll be heading down that way Sunday to do three days of pre-running routes for the BARF Spring Rally. :p I'll be riding with a a friend. PM me if you're interested in meeting us somewhere along the route. We'll be spending the night in either Paso Robles or Los Alamos, so we're out for more than a day trip.

Cheers,

Kurt

1 - 20 of 37 Posts