Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up an Arai RX-Q Retro. After the ride, I got a chip on the helmet. Any riders had this happen after a ride?

·
comrade moderator
26,770 Posts
I once had a big crash in the third practice session of the first race weekend of the season riding a brand new GSXR750 with brand new leathers/boots/gloves, brand new Arai custom painted to match the custom painted bodywork on the bike, etc. I looked spectacular for about three hours. :rolleyes:

Yup. Better the chip out of the helmet that your skull. It's a wear item like tires or brake pads, and nothing lasts forever. That's my happy thought for the night. :)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Two days ago while starting my bike, my helmet fell off my bike onto the ground and rolled about 40 feet down a hill before I caught up to it.

·
Registered
662 Posts
One of my first rides with my current helmet, I was cruising through some quiet country roads where you could go a dozens km's between seeing other cars. Anyway, riding past an SUV I heard a loud impact on the right side of my helmet. Nothing on the rest of me, nothing on the bike. Just a big chip of paint off the side of my no-longer brand new lid.

But yeah, it happens. Like I seem to run into the biggest, gooiest bugs right after giving the visor a thorough clean. Like @Chuckracer said though, that's what it's there for. Better the visor than my face.

·
Registered
289 Posts
On my first bike back in college I watched a rock the size of a baseball fall off the top of an oncoming dump truck. He was going 55, I was going 70ish. I had just enough reflexes to tilt my head. It just barely nicked my visor, bounced off the ground and spiderwebed the windshield of the SUV behind me.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got you guys. With me, you save and spend money on a lid (this is my first with a graphic), I want it perfect all the time, but in reality, there's no way that's going to happen. Totally right with your lid, then your noggin. Well said.

Attachments

·
Registered
662 Posts
My attitude with my lids, as with gear generally, is that motorcycling stuff all looks ridiculous anyway so I tend to buy on practicality, safety and price (ie buy quality stuff on special, and forget what it looks like*). The upshot of this is that I never really like the way my gear looks, so it doesn't bother me when it gets a bit worn.

* Subject to spousal veto. Sometimes my wife catches me looking at some god-awful ugly bit of gear that's on a great clearance price and yells at me to put it down / close the window. If not for this, I'd own a lot more dayglo yellow stuff than I already do.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I once had a big crash in the third practice session of the first race weekend of the season riding a brand new GSXR750 with brand new leathers/boots/gloves, brand new Arai custom painted to match the custom painted bodywork on the bike, etc. I looked spectacular for about three hours. :rolleyes:

Yup. Better the chip out of the helmet that your skull. It's a wear item like tires or brake pads, and nothing lasts forever. That's my happy thought for the night. :)
Very luck
Much wow :grin2:

You should have tried the lottery that week Chuck, you'd probably have won :grin2:

I got you guys. With me, you save and spend money on a lid (this is my first with a graphic), I want it perfect all the time, but in reality, there's no way that's going to happen. Totally right with your lid, then your noggin. Well said.
That's a nice lookin' lid Hyp3r, it's an Arai but which model is it ?

And oh, of course it happens, i mean, chips/rocks etc dart around you all the time when riding, that's why you have coolers with holes in them, chips on the paint/rims/forks etc - the helmet is the last thing i'm gonna be thinking about ;)

@ Spex : That's a...pretty good attitude to have man, me personally i'm the complete opposite as i'm completely anal about my gear (and bike), always have been, always will be, then again i'm a Virgo so...yeah :D

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's an RX-Q. I love it. So comfortable and fits like a glove. I had an Arai XD-4 before. I can tolerate the wind noise and neck pulling a little, but I just wanted a dedicated street lid. I also have TLD Air with Oakley Crowbars for the really hot days and putting around town.

Attachments

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,073 Posts

I once did something similar. It wasn't a new bike, but new leathers, gloves, boots, and helmet.

2'nd lap of first practice, first race of the year. Everything was torn to crap but the helmet never hit the ground. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
There's a chip on that?!

I once put my (new at the time Arai) helmet on my handlebars, turned around to walk into a store, and heard it crash behind me. Pretty good rash on it. I'll never leave another helmet perched on the end of my bars again! Lesson learned. I was pretty pissed at myself at the time, but I got over it eventually.

Still use it, although I've since bought a Corsair V and find myself having trouble switching back to the Vector II. The Corsair is just so light and quiet compared! But the Corsair is the Joey Dunlop edition. Supposedly a short run and collectible helmet. Forget that, I've put more miles in that thing than all my other helmets combined now.

·
Registered
946 Posts
There's a chip on that?!

I once put my (new at the time Arai) helmet on my handlebars, turned around to walk into a store, and heard it crash behind me. Pretty good rash on it. I'll never leave another helmet perched on the end of my bars again! Lesson learned. I was pretty pissed at myself at the time, but I got over it eventually.

Still use it, although I've since bought a Corsair V and find myself having trouble switching back to the Vector II. The Corsair is just so light and quiet compared! But the Corsair is the Joey Dunlop edition. Supposedly a short run and collectible helmet. Forget that, I've put more miles in that thing than all my other helmets combined now.
I thought the Vector 2 and Corsair V were very similar in weight?

I think sometimes it's good to put that first scratch in your helmet, so you won't worry about it over time.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
A few chips will make it look legitimately historic, rather than merely retro.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts