Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plan on hooking the bike up to a battery tender here shortly, was wondering if anyone has encountered any problems with electrical system from doing so.

Let me know if the rest of you are doing this, book says to remove the battery but I haven't had a problem doing this on numerous other bikes I've had.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I ususally put my bikes on the tender for about a day once a month or so in the winter. I also leave the battery in the bikes while it's charging.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would recommend a lower amperage unit for 24X7 use. I started using battery tender junior's (750ma) rather than regular battery tenders (1.25a) on my powersports stuff. Yes, the "regular" unit is supposed to drop the amperage for keeping batteries "topped off", but I've found circumstances where even the checking and cycling that the bigger units do is enough to over charge a small motorcycle battery. Never had that issue with the "junior". And they are cheaper!

I still have a few of the "regular" units, but use them primarily for cars or charging a motorcycle battery that has been significantly discharged.

All that said, I've never had them cause an electrical problem (outside of the battery itself), in everything from Groms to touring bikes with Canbus systems.

Do put your charger on a surge protector though. The juniors in particular are fragile in regards to power surges.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts