Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Battery Tender question - Have You....?

It seems the “Standard” battery charger has become the Battery Tender, so I would like to post this question: Sorry for the length, but for detail feel its necessary.

Has anyone had a problem with their Battery Tender Plus chargers never or rarely stop charging - (green light going solid after flashing during charge mode)? I exchanged mine getting the same results. My friend has the same problem with his, has exchanged his a couple of times only to get the same results.

It seems to me there may be some unrecognized problem here, or is it just my friend and myself? Do others just depend on the charger blindly thinking its working as advertised or are we the only 2 cursed?

Scenario: 2 bikes, used on 3 different batteries now because of the question about the health of one battery, both charging systems work perfectly. Basic bikes with no extras to drain the battery. 2000 996, ‘78 Honda 750F.

I have one BT Plus model and 2 BT Jr’s. On a fully charged battery or one that has only been sitting a few days after use or previously charged (also talking New, not Old batteries here), if I connect the BT Plus it will only act as a Trickle-Charger NEVER changing to monitor mode (green light going solid) well after the battery is fully charged and should have gone in monitor mode, not continue to over charge the batteries. It also filled the vent tube with acid which eventually found it‘s way to my rear wheel ruining the finish (what also helped bring my attention to this). Not happy about that one but nothing I can do to restore it. If I just trusted the charger to do it’s thing, I’d be buying a new battery well before I should have and spray acid from the accumulation in the vent tube.

If I connect the BT Jr. It will flash for roughly 10 minutes or less before going solid green,

I posed this question to Deltran, it was taken by a Dan Williams <[email protected]>: Director of Quality & Engineering, who’s response was less then professional after I questioned his first response that truly didn‘t answer my question, I was given his work history and Resume, (baffled in BS) basically telling me how smart he is (and how ignorant I was, or dare question someone so smart, his response or authority on the issue), STILL never answering my question only to say that “You know, sometimes less truly is more” Thanks Dan, appreciates the help and quality PR, you‘re a wonder!! I think if I were to post his response, most would feel the same a I, but maybe it’s just me.

Long story (as usual to be detailed), For me: I guess its selective when the “Worlds Most Advanced Battery Charger” decides to work correctly. For me: It’s an over priced Trickle Charger because I can’t trust it to live up to its touted convenience.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I've used Deltran Battery Tenders for years. No issues. One of my Battery Tenders is a Plus model optimized for gel cell batteries. When I use this one on a AGM battery it stays in the trickle (flashing green) mode for several hours - that's because the charging scheme for gel is different than AGM or regular lead acid. The voltage is capped to a lower level.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Mine is 8 yrs old and goes from charge to monitor. The green light does not flash just comes on when monitoring.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Mine is 8 yrs old and goes from charge to monitor. The green light does not flash just comes on when monitoring.
The original Battery Tender had two modes - charging (red LED) and maintenance (green LED).

The battery Tender Plus goes through two charging modes (red LED, then flashing green when battery is at ~80%) then it reaches the maintenance mode (steady green LED).

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
The original Battery Tender had two modes - charging (red LED) and maintenance (green LED).

The battery Tender Plus goes through two charging modes (red LED, then flashing green when battery is at ~80%) then it reaches the maintenance mode (steady green LED).
Ditto. I have had the same Battery Tender Plus for nearly six years with no problems. Once the batttery is fully charged, the BTP goes into maintenance mode with the steady green light.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts

+1 for me too. Had mine for 2 years with no complaints.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

As stated on the package: Complete 4-Step, Constant Current - Constant Voltage charging program.
1 - Qualification (Ensures safety by verifying acceptable battery status prior to beginning bulk charge.)
2 - Bulk Charge (Constant Current safely raises battery to recommended absorption level.)
3 - Absorption Charge (Holds Constant Voltage to ensure that current continues to fully charge the battery.)
4 - Float Charge (Maintains fully charged battery at a safe constant voltage for maximum battery life.)

Temperature compensation ensures optimal charge voltage even in extreme weather conditions.

All voltage and current values throughout the entire charging program (bulk, absorption, & float charged) and consistent with the optimum charging recommendations of major lead-acid battery manufactures.

Built in 72 hour timer will protect a marginal battery from over charging.

Neither the Red or Green light turns on - Abnormal condition
Flashing Red light - Battery voltage low (less then 3 volts) or not attached correctly.
Steady Red light- Battery connected properly and charging until charger completes the charging state.
Flashing Green light with Steady Red light- Greater then 80% charged.
Steady Green light - Charge complete.
Alternating Red & Green light - Abnormal, battery sulfated, poor connection, reverse polarity connection.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To me all it says is the charger is capable of charging a lead-acid battery without overcharging it, pure and simple. My friends and my own will continue charging the same as a trickle-charger would, overcharging it if you let it continue. I can hear the battery acid fizzing away long after the battery is FULLY charged.

There is nothing complex about the set-up on either of the bikes. About as straight forward as it gets, yet, the charger that is supposed to be the smarter and more capable of the 2 is unable to control the charging as advertised.

I don’t feel comfortable with automatic anything, because when it fails (depending on what it is) something bad usually happens. At least in my years that is what I have learned. I kept an eye on this charger, wanting to believe it was working as it should, but that is not what I was seeing, so I monitored it. On occasion it would work as advertised, but 95% of the time it would not, so I wouldn’t plug it in a walk away for more then a couple of hours until I felt comfortable with it. It just proved to me it can’t be trusted because it was in fact overcharging my new battery.

I wanted to find out if others had the same experience as I, or just trust the lights and feel the charger is working as advertised. Mine doesn’t -- I'm lucky like that........

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
I've used a battery tender since my 2004 999r was new. The lightweight "R" stock batteries are good for 18 months generally. Mine is stock and still keeps a charge perfect due to the Battery Tender

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should have mentioned my PLUS seemed to have worked fine for the first couple of weeks or so (the replacement never did), after that it became obvious there was a problem.

So far, those that have responded, and I Thank all of you who have, owned there tenders for a number of years. Mine original was 6 months old, this one being about 2-3 months.

Seems funny to me out of over 200 views I’m the only one (along with my friend) that has had a problem. Baffles me the Jr works but the Plus doesn‘t. Pay more for less I guess. Don't buy the less is more though.

Thanks Guys…..:cool:

·
Registered
442 Posts
I rotate my battery tender across five battery's and sometimes see the same problem with the green light flashing for a long period of time. Each time it happens I give some attention to the contacts at the battery and the green light quickly goes to the full on mode. Sometimes the lead battery contacts develop a skin of oxidation that makes true contact difficult for the battery tender. It is just a suggestion, but maybe you should give your battery's some additional TLC.

Jerry
04 ST4s

·
Registered
163 Posts
I had some similar problems with a BT.

I am now using one of these Batteryminders. So far it has been doing a good job on 2 AGM, 1 conventional LC car and 1 dry cell. Give it a shot, they cost about the same so you have nothing to loose.

·
Registered
825 Posts
BatteryMinder

I also bought a BatteryMinder (from DesmoTimes) & it works great. LT says he's had some problems with Battery Tenders but never with a BatteryMinder. YMMV
Gregg

·
Official Retired Person
7,520 Posts
I've had a BT Jr. for a couple of years without problems. I bought the battery connectors for each bike so I could easily plug the charger in without having to dig down to the battery each time I wanted to hookup. I use is on Optimus batteries, regular ol' lead acid batteries, marine deep cycle batteries, and no problems so far.

I kinda like the connection question - Have you cleaned the battery terminals before connecting the charger? Just a thought.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I rotate my battery tender across five battery's and sometimes see the same problem with the green light flashing for a long period of time. Each time it happens I give some attention to the contacts at the battery and the green light quickly goes to the full on mode. Sometimes the lead battery contacts develop a skin of oxidation that makes true contact difficult for the battery tender. It is just a suggestion, but maybe you should give your battery's some additional TLC.

Jerry
04 ST4s
Thanks Jerry for the idea. I have checked them a few times by disassembly/inspection/cleaning, but will look again. As far as I know they are pristine. It is a new install, new battery, cleaned, tightened and protected.

Still doesn’t really explain why one works with the same connection while the other doesn’t. :confused:

Also thank you for the Batteryminder idea. I'm not sure but I think they are made by the same company. I may be mixing that up with something else I read. There is another I may try or look into, the one that desulfates? Supposed to work well.

ncgt1000, I too use the connector that came with the charger for the ease of connecting and maintenance. Same plug, different chargers, different results.:think:

Just checked that BatteryMINDer link and that is the desulfation one. Not sure what I came across that is made by the same company - different name.

Thank you.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have both BT and BTP, the BT for about 20 years and BTP for about 15. They both seem to work ok. The BT just red and green lights and the BTP red, green flashing and then solid green. I rotate them between two motorcycles and two muscle cars. Have never had a problem with them.... that I know about!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Have you tried to measure the power going into a the battery, from the tender?

Some volt/ohm meters (Fluke) will measure current, up to 10 amps, if you put the meter in series with the positive cable and positive terminal. I don't believe the charger will put that much amperage into a battery.

Another method would be to use an amp probe which clamps around the positve wire near the terminal. I don't believe the probe will offer as accurate information, but you'd be able to see if power is being supplied to the battery from the charger.

I'd put the meter in series with the unplugged tender and positive battery terminal and see if there is any powered measured. Then plug in the tender and measure the power.

Some of the battery tenders have a clicking sound if the wires are put across the terminals incorrectly. Does the Plus has the same feature?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have you tried to measure the power going into a the battery, from the tender?

Some volt/ohm meters (Fluke) will measure current, up to 10 amps, if you put the meter in series with the positive cable and positive terminal. I don't believe the charger will put that much amperage into a battery.

Another method would be to use an amp probe which clamps around the positve wire near the terminal. I don't believe the probe will offer as accurate information, but you'd be able to see if power is being supplied to the battery from the charger.

I'd put the meter in series with the unplugged tender and positive battery terminal and see if there is any powered measured. Then plug in the tender and measure the power.

Some of the battery tenders have a clicking sound if the wires are put across the terminals incorrectly. Does the Plus has the same feature?
I haven't measured it with a meter but it is charging by the audible "Fizzing" sound so it is charging,Something that alerted me something was going on. The Jr. doesn't get to that point since it shuts off to "Float" mode.

How many amps? I believe its less then 2 amps. The Jr. puts out 60% of what the Plus does according to "God Dan".

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is This Right????

You tell me: I decided it was time (been a couple of weeks now) to plug the BT Jr’s. in to charge the batteries in both bikes. 45 minutes go by, I see the Newest BT Jr. connected to the 996 is solid green but the Older BT Jr. connected to the 750 is solid RED. Shouldn’t be, it should already have gone to solid green by now, at a minimum flashing green. I contemplate: should I let it go, is this right? NAW…. don’t trust it. I unplugged it from the wall leaving the pigtail plugged into the bike. Waited about 40 seconds, plugged it back into the wall and immediately went to Solid Green.

So: Do you blindly trust your’s???? You know where I stand on the subject.:(

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
You tell me: I decided it was time (been a couple of weeks now) to plug the BT Jr’s. in to charge the batteries in both bikes. 45 minutes go by, I see the Newest BT Jr. connected to the 996 is solid green but the Older BT Jr. connected to the 750 is solid RED. Shouldn’t be, it should already have gone to solid green by now, at a minimum flashing green. I contemplate: should I let it go, is this right? NAW…. don’t trust it. I unplugged it from the wall leaving the pigtail plugged into the bike. Waited about 40 seconds, plugged it back into the wall and immediately went to Solid Green.

So: Do you blindly trust your’s???? You know where I stand on the subject.:(
I guess I'm wondering tho, all this pondering on a problem with the BTP and yet you haven't measured the current going into the battery? That seems the easiest way to determine IF their is a problem and not a seat of the pants guess that because you here fizzing it's overcharging?

I have both the battery tender and BTP and havent' encountered any of this, nor have I encountered fizzing on a wet cell battery when on the tender, that would tend to make me think their is a malfunction, but metering would confirm the fact. Surely if it were overcharging the inline fuse on the prigtail to the battery would blow, that's the purpose of it.

I'm afraid I'm another guy who's been using them on cars and bikes for years with no issues I can recall.
Chris

1 - 20 of 29 Posts