Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Ducati St3, can I plug a Battery Tender into the accessory outlet? If so where do i get an adapter to fit the outlet? Thanks everyone for your help.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Tank said:
I have a 2004 Ducati St3, can I plug a Battery Tender into the accessory outlet? If so where do i get an adapter to fit the outlet? Thanks everyone for your help.
Yes, you can plug a Battery Tender into the accessory socket. I have a 2002 ST4s, but I don't think anything has changed (other than higher rated wiring and fuse) with the accessory socket on the 2004 ST3. I've been using the socket for my Battery Tender for years.

I got my BMW plug adapter from a local BMW motorcycle dealer. It's a standard over-the-counter part. If you can't find a dealer, or for some reason they don't have one, you can get the part "PL/SAE CABLE - PAC-008" from Powerlet online...

http://www.powerletproducts.com/products/cables.php

·
Registered
576 Posts
Did exactly the same thing. Seems to work fine and the indicators on the tender suggest it is working.

Joe

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As always, thanks for your help. :)

·
Still needs a life.
12,616 Posts
Ditto for me. I have been told not to plug or unplug a "live" adapter into the socket for fear of an accidental short. My procedure is to first plug the adapter into the bike's accessory outlet, then plug the Battery Tender into the wall outlet.

I do the opposite when unplugging the unit in preparation to ride. I first unplug the Battery Tender from the wall outlet, then unplug the adapter from the bike's accessory outlet.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Bill_Anderson said:
Ditto for me. I have been told not to plug or unplug a "live" adapter into the socket for fear of an accidental short. My procedure is to first plug the adapter into the bike's accessory outlet, then plug the Battery Tender into the wall outlet.

I do the opposite when unplugging the unit in preparation to ride. I first unplug the Battery Tender from the wall outlet, then unplug the adapter from the bike's accessory outlet.
Actually, the Battery Tender doesn't go live until it detects connection to the battery. (part of the 'no-spark' feature) If a short would occur in the socket, it'd happen whether the unit was plugged in or not.

I'm not sure, but I think you'd really have to jam the plug into the socket forcefully, and crooked to cause a short.

I use that socket for the Battery Tender, and my electric clothes.

:)

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
LiquidSilver said:
Actually, the Battery Tender doesn't go live until it detects connection to the battery. (part of the 'no-spark' feature) If a short would occur in the socket, it'd happen whether the unit was plugged in or not.

I'm not sure, but I think you'd really have to jam the plug into the socket forcefully, and crooked to cause a short.

I use that socket for the Battery Tender, and my electric clothes.

:)
I'll concur with this. My battery Tender hasn't been unplugged from the wall for over 3 years. When I park my ST in the garage, I just grab the plug and fumble with the socket until it clicks into place. I do so without any care or fear of a short. It hasn't happened yet. Of course, now that I've said this, I'll probably find a way to short the connection next time I plug her in! :eek:

R

·
0 Posts
i have a tender that was installed when i bought the bike.. it hangs out of the fairing and is ugly. I would love to have one that would plug into the accesory outlet.

·
Administrator
12,491 Posts
So the adapter from the outlet to a trickle charger is an "over the counter accessory / part"?
Yes it is a Powerlet connector. Used on many BMWs too.

·
Still needs a life.
12,616 Posts
Wow! This thread is nearly ten years old. Good to see photos/avatars of some of the early pioneers of Ducati.MS. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts