Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a short ride I hook up the battery tender and it seems there is low amp current through out bike. I noticed by touching the exhaust with the back of my hand and feeling the tingle. I got out the voltage tester and sure enough it goes off anywhere within 3-4 inches of any metal on bike. If I unplug the tender no voltage. I checked the tender hook up wires for a rub/split and found none. I can see no obvious wire problems. Any ideas? 2001 ss900

Chuck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
No idea, but call Deltran, the maker, and pass it by them 1-877-456-7901 from 9 am - 5 pm EST.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
by "voltage tester", the way you describe using it, I assume you mean a non-contact voltage tester, or "sniffer". If you are picking up voltage with it, that means the rectifier is failing in your battery tender and you are getting AC voltage on the grounded parts of your bike. Stop using the tender, seriously, it could kill you under the right (i.e. murphy's law) circumstances. To be sure, take a DVM and measure from the frame of your bike to the ground prong of an outlet, checking for both AC and DC voltage, with the tender hooked up. If you could actually feel a tingle I would bet there's 75+ volts AC on your frame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info guys. I just missed talking to a tech at Deltran. They leave at 4pm and I called at 5 minutes after on a friday during March Madness. You are correct about the non-contact voltage tester. I will test it with a DVM in the morning. The tender is only a few weeks old so maybe it is just a bad one. Now that I think about it the tester is showing ac current in the wires downstream of the box. I will call Deltran on monday and talk to the tech.

Thanks Again
Chuck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,908 Posts
I recall "feeling" appliances in the kitchen with the back of my hand, and feeling a "humming" sensation. This is on older chrome type coffee pots, toasters, etc. I never found any dangerous voltages on any of these appliances when I checked it w/ a VOM. (OK everyone--march into your kitchens and try it!)

Anyway, to play it safe, you probably should return it to the mfr. (or place where you purchased it--make sure they know it might be a shock hazard).

As Supersparky750 mentioned, you could test for it using a real VOM, but make sure you don't place yourself between the frame and any solid electrical ground until you know if the voltage is real or not. (If you do, you complete the circuit, and get a real shock.)
 

·
Chilehead
Joined
·
6,982 Posts
Sounds like a ground loop problem. Can be caused by a faulty unit, or simply too much humidity.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,072 Posts
maybe you are measuring the aura of the bike

or an e-meter if you are buddies with John Travolta... TraVOLTa...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,908 Posts
Hey Chuck, if you're still with us (read: alive), let us know what you found out...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All is well

The tech asked me to return the unit for a new one. The new unit does not seem to electrify the bike as much(can't feel it with my hand). He also told me the sniffer will detect current through-out the bike while unit is plugged in. As stated above maybe humidity, or ground loop he didn't elaborate. But the new charger has worked perfectly in keeping the battery in shape and has not caused any problems. Hope this helps.

Chuck
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top