Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are threads on this, but I haven't found what I want, so...
My '98 ST2 presently has a MotoBatt MB16AU in it, and it's pretty much gotten to the end of its life. I could just get another - they're around $105 or so online, not hard to find. But does anybody have suggestions for a favorite replacement brand and model before I go spend the pennies?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I was considering a lith battery. Half again more expensive, but it's still tempting. I did a lith installation in my RV and they've been wonderful, though designing a good charging system for it was a challenge.Just might make the plunge.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
When I had my ST2, I decided to go to an AGM battery, instead of the original lead-acid.

And while I was going there, I thought that MORE ampacity would be nice. So I went with a UB12220. It was rated at 22 AHr, rather than 16 AHr. Just shop around on-line until you find the style with the threaded bolt hole posts.

Edit: it also is like 3.00 inches wide, so I had to remove the tab at the bottom of the battery tray, and fab my own strap to retain the battery.

edit edit... Battery ? we don't need not stiiinking batteries...

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No go with that - the MotoBatt barely fits, so I couldn't get that UB12220 in there and still get the fairing on.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I replaced my battery three years ago with a BikeMaster TruGel. Have not had any issues with it and it fit perfectly without any modifications.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I ran across a killer deal on a Yuasa and put one in last spring, haven't had any problems although it's questionable starting on some mornings in the teens over the winter. Always fired but sure didn't give you any warm fuzzies. I had a cheap Batteries Plus replacement in there for a month and always gave me problems. I'll do a Yuasa again when the time comes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I got a killer deal on a gel battery last spring. did a good job last year. I meant to plug in the battery tender over the winter but forgot. Went out this spring and it is completely dead. The Battery tender doesn't even have enough juice to start the charge. I'm going to have the pull it out and place it on a full charger to see if it will come back to life. My fingers are crossed, but I'm only a little hopeful.

Lesson learned: You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bit the bullet and got a Shorei lith battery - the one with the positive terminal at the right. Expensive! - $150 plus a charger. But I've sure liked them in the RV, and it's light, and it has lotsa capacity - we'll see if I end up loving it like I expect to...

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
No go with that - the MotoBatt barely fits, so I couldn't get that UB12220 in there and still get the fairing on.
Well I did get it to fit on my 1998 ST2. And the fairing fit back on just fine.

Good luck with the Shorai. I'm still not convinced they're "the" battery to have. Especially with your chilly VT mornings!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I got a killer deal on a gel battery last spring. did a good job last year. I meant to plug in the battery tender over the winter but forgot. Went out this spring and it is completely dead. The Battery tender doesn't even have enough juice to start the charge. I'm going to have the pull it out and place it on a full charger to see if it will come back to life. My fingers are crossed, but I'm only a little hopeful.

Lesson learned: You get what you pay for.
Parasitic draw likely killed it over such a long period of time.
Put the dead one in parallel with a good one and the charger (even a Deltran trickle charger) will take it on and turn green over night. You state: "The Battery tender doesn't even have enough juice to start the charge." Actually, the Deltran tenders do have enough to charge a very dead battery, but they have to sense at least 3 volts to begin. Absent this amount, you have to resort to wiring the dead one in parallel.

It should be fine for the season. Some references here -- http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/701218-dead-dead-battery-how-charge.html

Steve

·
Registered
579 Posts
I've had my Shorai for 6 years and used a battery tender the whole life of it. My bike doesn't have a special alt/gen so why a special charger? Never made sense to me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
355 Posts
Personally I prefer AGM batteries, better than gel or flooded in every way. I haven't tried Li-Ion yet and am a bit cautious, have heard lots of stories of failure and even fires.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Personally I prefer AGM batteries, better than gel or flooded in every way. I haven't tried Li-Ion yet and am a bit cautious, have heard lots of stories of failure and even fires.
Ditto. the UB12220 is an AGM battery...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I put Shorai lithium iron batteries in both of the ST4 bikes I've owned, and have been very happy with them, other than the higher price. They last longer when cared for, delivery more current during starting, and don't lose a charge as fast when sitting. Lighter doesn't hurt, either.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058EBVXS

You do have to get a little creative with the installation, as they are smaller, but they come with foam shim pads and you can adapt the mounting bracket or use heavy tie-wraps (they weigh < 3 lbs, so it doesn't take much to keep them in place).

If you still need to use a battery charger, it's best to get one compatible with lithium. Compared to flooded lead acid, they have different bulk charge acceptance rates, need a lower float voltage, and an anti-sulfation cycle will damage the battery.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X9GGNZC

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I put a Lithium battery in my ST4 a few years ago and bought the special charger. I keep it on the charger in store mode when I dont ride it. Very pleased with it. I like its light weight.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Parasitic draw likely killed it over such a long period of time.
Put the dead one in parallel with a good one and the charger (even a Deltran trickle charger) will take it on and turn green over night. You state: "The Battery tender doesn't even have enough juice to start the charge." Actually, the Deltran tenders do have enough to charge a very dead battery, but they have to sense at least 3 volts to begin. Absent this amount, you have to resort to wiring the dead one in parallel.

It should be fine for the season. Some references here -- http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/701218-dead-dead-battery-how-charge.html

Steve
Thanks for that tip. Worked like a charm!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
BION, I've been to Essex Junction many times. My wife's sister lives there and it is very nice part of the country. There is even a British bike co-op where you bring your bike to work with the assistance of knowledgeable brit bike mechanics, ie: those blessed with the brit bike bug. I know, I have a '73 Triumph T140!!

Aside from the cold, snow, ice and ..... I love it!! Anyway, glad it helped.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts