Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, been doing a lot of research on slow starting and decided to make some lower gauge custom cables. Would prefer to order them and swap out in a single shot rather than have the bike be down or pull cables to measure and have to do the job twice. Does anyone have eye to eye length measurements on all of the cables? Should be 2 long ones and 1 short one?

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
If you’re going to make your own , i was thinking Monster audio cable is made in some large enough gages and is very low resistance. Their cable ends are nice too. If you buy 5-6 feet that will be plenty.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
It should only take about an hour, even if you’re a dufuss, and you aren’t a dufuss, are you, Drax ? Clean your ground points to bare metal while you have the ground cable removed. I also run a wire from any other ground point to the main battery ground.

·
Vendor
456 Posts
Upgraded starter circuits

A motorcycle is possibly the most extreme environment for electrical circuits.

That's partly why the OEM circuits fail to deliver the performance needed.

Our kits are based on the cost of the components used to make the kit.

On every component there is a reason for what we have chosen to use; bare oxygen-free copper allows us to use a cold welding technique at the crimps, the eyelets are seamless, the high strand count minimizes degradation due to the vibration, the silicone jacketing take the temp rating to 300F, allows for making incredibly tight turns and also damps the vibration that is traveling through every piece of metal on the bike.

On the SF one lead needs to make a hairpin 180 so tinned cable will make that more difficult.

Tinned cable also makes it much harder to get a good solid crimp.

And no, soldering is not a better idea as it is very difficult to get a good solder joint with the large diameter cable.

Usually, you will cold solder joints and voids which will fail due to the high vibration on a motorcycle.

We upgrade the kits on an ongoing basis and the latest install pak includes everything needed to do a better than professional job.

The text below is representative of the comments we get from buyers, many buy a kit for every bike and one guy did buy 5 kits - They really are a good value for the money.

----
Hi Michael,

Ordered a 2nd set for my HyperMotard on 5/14, can you let me know when I might get that?

Thanks again for your help on the Supersport set, transformed the starting!!

David
-----

HTH.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the opinions but I’ve done enough research and I’m doing cables from this site:

http://www.genuinedealz.com/4-awg-custom-battery-cables

Although the motoelectric cables look amazing and just what I need, the price just isn’t justifiable for me at the moment when I can build a set for $30.

I won’t be home or near the bike for another week so I was hoping to get the measurements now so that I can have the cables ordered and shipped ahead of time. So if nobody has the measurements of the cables I will just wait and pull apart when I get home and report back with measurements to make this process easier for anyone in the future who would like to do the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts