Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's about time for a new battery in my 2007 GT1000.
How long have the factory batteries been lasting in Sport Classics ?
What seems to be the best choice for replacement ?
Caio, Brad B
Escondido, Ca

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Go LiFePo (Lithium) to save weight and add power. (As long as you don't ride too often in freezing conditions - as they don't love cold weather.)

Best module I've tried (and I've tried a few) is the Shorai LFX18. You need plenty of CCA Cold Cranking Amps to start a big V twin.

6,048 Posts
My Stock Yuasa lasted 5 1/2 years and it was still going strong when I replaced it with a new one. As a rule I replace Batteries 5-6 years regardless if it is good or not.
If you keep the battery on a trickle charger you too could get this kind of longevity out o your Battery.
There are pros and cons of Litium batteries. the recent issue of Motorcyclist has a very good article outlining these. They also list all the different brands available.
I personally prefer the stock Yuasa it has never let me down
If you are looking to shed weight and want something different, then the new stuff out there may be interesting

I think it's about time for a new battery in my 2007 GT1000.
How long have the factory batteries been lasting in Sport Classics ?
What seems to be the best choice for replacement ?
Caio, Brad B
Escondido, Ca

·
Registered
954 Posts
Go LiFePo (Lithium) to save weight and add power. (As long as you don't ride too often in freezing conditions - as they don't love cold weather.)

Best module I've tried (and I've tried a few) is the Shorai LFX18. You need plenty of CCA Cold Cranking Amps to start a big V twin.
+1 on the Shorai's - tiny battery, approx 3kg lighter than the original with no worries about acid leakage etc... :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
if it tests good keep it! i've had nothing but outstanding luck with Battery Tenders bringing back batteries from the dead and keeping the ones I have going. not saying others haven't had bad experiences and therefore replacement seems like a good idea, but since I bought my 1st motorcycle 24 yrs ago the only battery I replaced was on it after sitting over the winter. at that point I bought a Bat Tender and am only on my 2nd one now since a new bike i bought came with one, so the older one went away when i sold my bike. lets see 24 years one purchased battery, one purchased battery tender, 7 bikes, no problems. I did install leads with a quick connect on all my bikes so I could plug and unplug at will.

·
Registered
191 Posts
What the stock replacement part #.I made the mistake of leaving the tender on 6 volts and now my bike is dead and won't take a charge.I'm a fan of the stock one as it has lasted 6 years and I run heated gear and a GPS with no problems.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The stock battery in my bike lasted 4.5 years and never had a charger (trickle or otherwise) on it-I replaced it with a Motobatt unit-only gripe is they are hard to connect with those fidly little universal fittings-but I think the long life of the Yuasa units are top value for money-I am not overly worried about weight saving in this dept-though I wouldnt want to go heavier-so far the Motobatt is working fine

·
Registered
399 Posts
if it tests good keep it! i've had nothing but outstanding luck with Battery Tenders bringing back batteries from the dead and keeping the ones I have going...
My stock battery went about 5 years, too. I have 8 or 9 bikes w/batteries, so I spend a lot of time keeping an eye on them. The little float chargers from Harbor Freight might seem appealing because of the low cost, but they will cook your battery after awhile. Get one that's regulated. I really like my Genius brand charger. I can turn it on and just walk away for the whole winter if I want to. What's the guy say on that old toaster oven infomercial? "Set it and forget it!"

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I think that I need a new battery for my 2007 GT also. The last couple of times of starting it has been reluctant to start, and this morning it turned over slowly in spite of being kept charged by a tender.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
I think that I need a new battery for my 2007 GT also. The last couple of times of starting it has been reluctant to start, and this morning it turned over slowly in spite of being kept charged by a tender.
+1 on the shorai. if you can afford the price difference, I have no idea why anyone would use an OEM battery as a replacement these days.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have the Shorai.

Replaced the stock after it drained once and then could never keep a charge. In the city garage parking doesn't allow trickle charging.

However, I parked outside and temps went from 50 - 38deg in 5 hours. Tried to start and the battery appeared to go dead after a couple turns. Not good at 3am.:( Tried to bump start but no go either.:mad: Then tried to start normally for the heck of it - battery turned fine and bike started.:confused: Since then no problems.

·
svc.bmh.mc
190 Posts
Oh dear . . . I hope this question isn't too stupid:

Is there such a thing as a tender for a lithium battery?

Is one even necessary? What about those who ride in colder climates?

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Is there such a thing as a tender for a lithium battery?

Is one even necessary? What about those who ride in colder climates?

Charging:
We use this for the Shorai:
Shorai Dedicated Battery Management System

It charges and balances the cells--but you really don't need it unless you don't ride the bike for long periods of time and/or have a constant draw on the battery. If the Shorai battery is unconnected to the bike, it will last 8 months or more with out charging.

Cold weather starting the Shorai:
In cold weather. Turn the lights on for about 30 seconds. This will warm up the battery but not use too much power. Turn the bike off and wait for 20-30 seconds for the battery to recover. Then start the bike.

I've tried this at 35 degrees a few times. It works well.

·
Registered
99 Posts
A local seller here in NZ has recently started promoting the Ultrabatt's, I thought the write-up compelling. I've attached an image with brief details from FB site, there is loads more info there. He certainly favours it. If it appealed to you I imagine there are numerous local resellers in your part of the world, site sponsors included. ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1356937893.721356.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks Moto, that's good to know. In fact, I didn't even know that was a possible scenario. Cheers Mat

1 - 20 of 23 Posts