Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2012 Monster 803CC that has not run in a over a year. The battery was unable to hold a charge after several attempts so I replaced the battery. When I connected the power leads, to the new fully charged battery the #10 ABS fuse blows and the ABS motor runs continuously. The bike does not show any any other signs of having power as the dash is dark and all of the switches do not function.

After reading the owners manual and noting that I was supposed to contact a service center before attempting to change the battery I have obviously missed something big. Can anyone point me to a thread or other material to explain this situation and what I need to do to get this bike running? I'd like to have some idea what is going on before I contact a service center.

Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
miscou

·
Super Moderator
5,366 Posts
Is there any chance at all that the polarity of the battery terminals were switched...even for a second?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's highly unlikely the polarity was ever switched. The battery is an exact replacement to what came out of the bike. The battery was completely stone-dead when I got the bike and when Installed the replacement I connected all positive terminals first and connected the negative last. This is what blows the #10 ABS fuse and starts the ABS pump running. There is clearly a process that must be followed in the battery replacement based on the Bold Letter Warning to contact the dealer prior to replacing the battery. Perhaps this is why the bike was sold as is. I suspect the dealer will have a nasty surprise for m and this is why I am looking for info or a service manual for the bike. I have to think someone else has made this mistake.

.....miscou

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,217 Posts
There is no special "process" you have to follow to install a new battery.

·
Super Moderator
5,366 Posts
I ask because so many have inadvertently connected the battery backwards...much to the detriment of the ECU.

I'm with Yorik...no special procedure to install a battery.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I made a good bit of progress this weekend with everyone's help. After some digging around to make sure I had the new battery connected correctly, I discovered one of the power leads to the starter had vibrated lose and was touching the block/frame. This got power back to the bike and its systems. However, on of the plug wires had no connectivity between the coil pack and the plug. As soon as I get a new cable I should be good to go.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and insights!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts