Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I just bought a 2004 999 Biposto as my first bike and so far it's been giving me nothing but trouble (even had a pre-buy inspection). Basically it won't start (want a good workout, push a 438lb bike a couple miles home). Hoping it's just a battery issue I purchased a new battery.

I bought an Autocraft battery from Advanced Auto Parts, brought it home, followed the directions and filled it with the supplied acid, and then saw the statement to use the battery in the "upright position only."

The 999 has the battery mounted on it's side. Can I mount a "home-sealed" battery? Any way to better my chances on not having an acid leak (tape, glue, etc)?

Thanks.

+The few times it has worked, Awesome+

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Hi, I just bought a 2004 999 Biposto as my first bike and so far it's been giving me nothing but trouble (even had a pre-buy inspection). Basically it won't start (want a good workout, push a 438lb bike a couple miles home). Hoping it's just a battery issue I purchased a new battery.

+The few times it has worked, Awesome+

Sounds like you assumed a battery issue. It may be something else (fuse, ground, relay).

Find a way to test your assumption. Does the new battery work when connected, but not mounted?

Be careful not to give yourself the grief :mad:of trying to fix the wrong thing.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Did you try to bump start it at all during your long push home?

What part of "upright position only" is negotiable? Battery acid is bad for bikes and people, batteries are designed to vent gases when they charge, the vent system in your battery was designed to work in an upright position. Why not just get a battery that will work properly in your bike?

+1 on making sure that the old battery was actually the problem.

Good luck man.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the input.

I ended up driving an hour to a Batteries Plus store and bought a fully sealed battery.

The guy there checked my "old battery" (date stated June 2009) and came back with a dead cell versus Advance Auto Part's checking it out ok.

Installed the new battery - those little nuts are a PAIN! Bike started up immediately.:)

The "home sealed" battery Advanced Auto Parts sold me was actually ~.25" too thick - luckily they took it back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts