Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Its my first post here...

Here's the sitch, my Monster 400 (1999) battery keeps dying. The rectifier is quite new, about 6 months old.

I'm currently using a Yuasa YB16AL-A2 and its dead already... Is it possible to switch to anything other than the YB16AL-A2? I'm having problem finding this battery here...

As long as the battery fits and is a 12V battery it would work right?

What are the considerations when getting a battery in the bike?

·
Registered
923 Posts
You've got a new rectifier sure, but how old is the battery? In other words, is this happening with a new battery? I get about 3 years out of a battery; four if I'm really lucky. Interstate has a replacement battery for the Yuasa; especially since I think Yuasa has stopped making the YB16AL.

As for replacements, go through a dealer/repair shop - they will be able to tell what replacements are available ...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
zooom said:
a 400?...is this bike in Japan?
I'm in Singapore.. haha...

We do have the 400... there's a new model too... EFI with twin front discs...

Anyway, is it true that as long the battery fits i can use it?

Sols

·
Registered
923 Posts
sols said:
Anyway, is it true that as long the battery fits i can use it?
Probably not. Let's put it this way: considering how easy it is to check with your local shop about suitable replacement batteries, I wouldn't risk the electricals on my bike to put it to the test. ;)

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Ducati actually went smaller in 2002 with the battery: from 16Ahr like yours, to 12Ahr. I'm not saying this is a good thing...I'd rather have = or more Ahrs or CCA (cold cranking amps).

Just because the RR was replaced, doesn't mean that it's still good...
You should verify that when the engine is running, that the battery voltage is between 13.5V and 14.5V at 2000 rpm or more. It will sag back to 12 ish volts at idle...this is normal. If you're observant, you can see this in you headlight beam brightness, especially at night. See if the beam gets brighter as the engine is brought above an idle.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
checked the rectifier today, its still good i suppose...

its always 13ish... other than when idle... (i tried this with a 12v6Ah batt from my mito though) it shouldn't make a difference right?

so i guess the batt is fooked...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys... Here's the sitch...

Charged the batt overnight... bike started ok...

Next day bike started ok...

Put a voltmeter over the batt, 12.7V before starting... goes up to 13+++ when revved... so i guess the rectifier is ok...

Turned the bike off, tried to turn it on again... Ignition at OFF, the thing read 12.4V...

the moment the ignition was turned on, it dropped to 8V... could it be the light? I checked out my neighbour's monster, his light bulb is different from mine... mine is huge.. like spot light kind... whereas his is small and narrow.. like a big LED... searched online.. and his is the standard H4 bulb i think... whereas mine is huge... it has a head... like mushroom... could it be the light thats draining the batt?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
k... i opened up my headlight unit...

took out the bulb... its a standard H4 bulb.. the head is just a reflector... so i guess it ain't the bulb...

ran the bike again.. this time no prob... ignition off, 12.6V ignition on, voltage drops 0.01V every second...

but still manages to start... turned it off and it started again no problems... wth...

stupid italian electrics...

a few minutes later tried again, 12.6V with the ignition off... and it starts again this time... the thing didn't drop down to 8V anymore...

then again, i noticed that the Pole light was broken, literally broken... this time i took it out... but then again, the pole light wouldn't have anything to do with this right?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok...

i'm officially pissed with the thing...

thought i'd check it again...

same thing happened.. the moment the key was turned, the voltage dropped to 6V-8V...

can anyone tell me what to look out for?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Check ignition relay, yellow under saddle.
When it`s halfOK things like this could happen.
Take the hood of it and connect it again, you`ll see how it works,
turn the key.

·
Registered
923 Posts
sols said:
stupid italian electrics...
It could be a Triumph. (d'oh!) :p

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Sorry, I don't get to read/reply as often as I use to...

If you're measuring right at the battery, then it sounds to me like it's the battery. If the voltmeter is up after the fuses, or wherever, then it could be connections/relays in between.

When you used you Mito battery, did you see these funky readings at all?
There's nothing wrong with swapping batteries for a brief go, say a few days or so.
But if the Mito battery is very much smaller, you'll tax it (when starting) to the point that you may mess up that one too. I use to try to use one battery from my Pantah, snowmobile, and also into a Moto Guzzi. Actually had very good luck with that battery...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stick said:
Sorry, I don't get to read/reply as often as I use to...

If you're measuring right at the battery, then it sounds to me like it's the battery. If the voltmeter is up after the fuses, or wherever, then it could be connections/relays in between.

When you used you Mito battery, did you see these funky readings at all?
There's nothing wrong with swapping batteries for a brief go, say a few days or so.
But if the Mito battery is very much smaller, you'll tax it (when starting) to the point that you may mess up that one too. I use to try to use one battery from my Pantah, snowmobile, and also into a Moto Guzzi. Actually had very good luck with that battery...
i tried to jump start the monster from my mito today... it wouldn't even turn over... hahahaha...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts