Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, one of my bikes is an all-custom, 12:1 compression Moto Guzzi 1100 V-Twin Cafe bike (in addition to the new 999r - new to me anyway - V-Twin and also with 12.5:1 compression...) Surprise surprise, they both need new batteries now... Seems like the 12:1 and 12.5:1 compression 1000 / 1100 machines want some serious cold cranking amps.

The Guzzi puked it's brand new Anti gravity Lithium Ion unit rather suddenly - those things seem very temperamental... I can't use my CTEK deep conditioner charger on Lithium Ion batteries (I have to order CTEK's new specific unit for it, or buy Anti Gravity's unit) and if the bike's charging system doesn't pump out at least 13.5 volts, then it won't hold a charge either...

I was cranking the Guzzi a bit too much on a cold battery and the damn thing exploded! Literally cracked open on three seams - I HEARD it snap - like a fuse popping! The R's Powersport Motocross Platinum oem unit sprung a leak now too... The bike sat for a while and then the PO put a charge to it before shipping the bike. it got here dead. I've treated it to a variety of chargers via the pig-tail, but them noticed the leak when I pulled the fairings to change oil, belts and to perform general service.

That said, what are the opinions around here on AGM batteries, traditional lead-acid sealed, versus Lithium Ion. What other options should I consider where the battery needs to be installed sideways / upside down etc and where good CCA is essential...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ive got a two year old Yuasa that's stone dead and wont take a charge. Im pondering these things as well. Im surprised no one has an opinion!

·
Registered
327 Posts
I just added an SSB lithium Ion battery to my 996 and it's been perfect so far. Left just over 2 weeks without a tender and fired first go. These ones use a standard tender too. Seems like a great battery. Just my opinion, I'm sure there are many more experts on here.

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
I just added an SSB lithium Ion battery to my 996 and it's been perfect so far. Left just over 2 weeks without a tender and fired first go. These ones use a standard tender too. Seems like a great battery. Just my opinion, I'm sure there are many more experts on here.
I'm using one of these too on my 998 and couldn't be happier, cheap, light & has the CCA of much more expensive batteries.

Craig

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
I couldn't be more than happy with my SSB battery. I could kiss the importers bum. It failed on the thieving sack of shit who managed to grind my cable, smash the steering lock and push the bike two blocks away. When I got the bike back the battery was dead and I couldn't revive it. This is the second SSB that has failed instantly on my bikes. The first one about 3 months ago on my 999/1198. Went to start it, nothing. Not a happy camper. And then the 998. Thieving scum tries to start it, thankfully nothing as well. Happy as Larry. Gunna try Zero Gravity or Shiora next.

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
I couldn't be more than happy with my SSB battery. I could kiss the importers bum. It failed on the thieving sack of shit who managed to grind my cable, smash the steering lock and push the bike two blocks away. When I got the bike back the battery was dead and I couldn't revive it. This is the second SSB that has failed instantly on my bikes. The first one about 3 months ago on my 999/1198. Went to start it, nothing. Not a happy camper. And then the 998. Thieving scum tries to start it, thankfully nothing as well. Happy as Larry. Gunna try Zero Gravity or Shiora next.
No trickle charger tight arse?

Not the battery's fault at all, but lucky for you in the end.

Craig

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts
Get some heavier battery cables to go along with a decent battery???
along with a decent trickle charger matched to your type of battery.
Some trickle chargers will go bad in time also.

I change my battery before it goes south, after so many years at the first indication of weakness.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Have had no issues with either shorai LFX-18 batteries in my 996 and the high-comp 853 in my R. Will fire the 853 without fail after sitting for an entire winter.

You really have to warm up Lithium Ion batteries to get them to perform correctly.

AGM batteries are probably more reliable in the long run though, and will pack more punch without the warm up time the Lithium batteries need.

·
Registered
6 Posts
just put a shorai in my 999 three weeks ago, no problems yet, haven't seen any starting issues, cranks the same a my old gell battery. Cost $143 so was comparable with a gell batteries, so much lighter and smaller though.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
just put a shorai in my 999 three weeks ago, no problems yet, haven't seen any starting issues, cranks the same a my old gell battery. Cost $143 so was comparable with a gell batteries, so much lighter and smaller though.
You may already know this but the 999 has a constant draw on the battery and the shorai must be on the tender if left for more than a couple of weeks . Once they get below about 70% they dont come back .

Reactions: xracer

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
You may already know this but the 999 has a constant draw on the battery and the shorai must be on the tender if left for more than a couple of weeks . Once they get below about 70% they dont come back .
You can discharge Lithium further than Lead Acid and still get it to come back. I have bought a Shorai back from the dead and it's still going well. The Shorai charger wouldn't do it but an old non voltage sensing charger will get it back but maybe not "always". Depending on the individual chemistry you can discharge to 30% without problems.

How big is the parasitic load on a 999? Is it as simple as disconnecting the battery if you leave the bike for a while? There used to be a really neat set up for marine batteries that was an isolated center post and "nut" that you could undo that made and broke the contact on the battery cable. It had a plastic knob around the nut to make it easy to turn. A small version of that might be a good thing for these applications. No tool required. Disconnecting the leads on a Lithium Battery you can store them for over 12 months without charging.

Something like this http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/331185335836-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
You can discharge Lithium further than Lead Acid and still get it to come back. I have bought a Shorai back from the dead and it's still going well. The Shorai charger wouldn't do it but an old non voltage sensing charger will get it back but maybe not "always". Depending on the individual chemistry you can discharge to 30% without problems.

How big is the parasitic load on a 999? Is it as simple as disconnecting the battery if you leave the bike for a while? There used to be a really neat set up for marine batteries that was an isolated center post and "nut" that you could undo that made and broke the contact on the battery cable. It had a plastic knob around the nut to make it easy to turn. A small version of that might be a good thing for these applications. No tool required. Disconnecting the leads on a Lithium Battery you can store them for over 12 months without charging.

Something like this http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/331185335836-0-1/s-l1000.jpg
Mine went to 60% and never came back. Can charge it with a normal charger but it wont hold its charge . Had to buy another . Might have been lower than 60% but it was still turning the bike over , slowly , but it is now useless .

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
My Shorai has bottom out 2 times. First was very cold outside temperature. Second, my son was playing on The Time Machine and turn the ignition on and I found out 32 or so hours later.

It came back from the dead the first time using a standard tender and lasted for a year. This second time appears to have killed it. I'll put it back on the tender for a while and see what comes of it.

I will add that after he first death the CCA dropped off. If a normal person attempted to start The Time Machine they would fail. There was a trick to doing it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
My shorai had a hard time starting my 1198 to the point the sprag went, now I'm going to do the motilectric wires and antigravity battery see how that goes

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts