Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ducati Ambassador to the Vatican
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gave my beauty a wash yesterday evening.

This morning on my way to work after 1 or 2 miles the red battery light came on an stays on.

Checked the Battery, 12.4 Volts off, 13.1 Volts with bike idling.

When I rev it up the headlight gets brighter.

Also checked the Regulator Connectors for beeing melted, they look fine.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
231 Posts
same problem here.

i have checked mine according to most all of the diagnostic instructions on here and am still stumped.

my battery light stays on all the time

even though the two yellow wires off the gen show ~30VAC off-idle,

the battery voltage is jumpy at idle,and right around 12.5VDC,

peaks out at about 15-16VDC @5-6 thousand RPM.

the two yellow gen. wires are also hard-wired into the R/R

any ideas what else to check?

·
Premium Member
8,737 Posts
Just a thought, but from my experience detailing cars maybe blowing out the electrical connections with an airgun would help. I used to either avoid electricals or wrap the distributor cap in cellophane to avoid moisture contact problems.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Mine did the same thing (900ss/ but it's the same carging system), the light went on after I washed it. The two wires that come from the alternator on the left hand side of the bike are held by zip-ties to the frame as they make their way up to the rectifier/regulator assembly. The insulation on the wires had gone soft over time and the pressure from the zip-ties caused the insulation to split open... not enough to short it to the frame... unless it got wet! Check under the zip ties!!!

Rich D.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Brust60 and onespeedpaul

It sounds like both your charging systems are working fine.. Any issues in riding the bike?

Tha absolute BEST way of checking if your getting a charge is to hook-up an AMPERE meter to the + and - side of your battery. An AMPERE meter is like a "flow" meter. It meassures the flow of electricity to and from your battery. If it´s PLUS, then your getting more then your using (normal at all operating speeds above idle). If it´s ZERO then your even (normal at ignition OFF). And if its MINUS then the charging system is not keeping up with your batterydrain (Normal when charging is down, ignition ON-engine off, lowspeed idle).

So get an AMPERE meter and hook it up. Autozone or other automotive store should have one for $20 or so..

//amullo

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
As I replied to your IM, I think that 16V is too high for charging voltage, and should be checked into further. Like for boiling the battery, and/or seeing if the charging current tapers off or not.

Another thing is at about 17V, you should start wasting the halogen headlight bulbs. You might also fry the ECU, so it's worth looking into.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Here was my RE: to a PM ealier today:

Sounds like it's working almost too good. I've never seen anything more than 14.5V at the battery. 15-16V sounds a bit too high. It sounds like the RR is not regulating, and is overcharging the battery. If you have a clear or translucent battery, you might be able to see a lot of bubbling at these voltages. If so, you need to replace the RR.

It might be a good idea to also double-check your meter to see how it compares to another meter. Or, go to a car and see what the static battery voltage reads with the parking lights on. Should be close to 12.5V. 13.2V for a fully charged battery (after it sits).

One other check is that at 14.5V, I measured the charging current. It goes DOWN as the battery is topped up. Like from 10A during charge, then trails off to 1 or 2A at 3000rpm. If yours stays at 10 or 15A at 4000rpm, and the battery is at 16V, then for sure, it's overcharging.

Note that battery charging current is hard to measure, unless you have access to some nifty tools (I had access to a clamp-on DC ammeter). Even if you're gonna measure 20A, you gotta consider the 100 or so Amps needed to start the bike! Actually, on the DUC, you can connect the meter or shunt in series with the smaller wires that come off the battery tab. Leave the big starter wire connected as usual, and you won't blow up the meter.

·
Registered
231 Posts
thanks for the input.

1) i forgot to plug in the headlight from when i disconnected it after the last really old battery died. now the voltage is topping out at 14VDC, and still charging at ~30VAC.

2) i cut the generator wires back a ways and hard-wired them. relocated the R/R to a cooler place.

3) have to check with amperemeter to be 100% all is good, because the light is still on.

i'll update as soon as i know more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts