Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever have the problem where that battery light is coming on but the charge appears to be okay? My battery light is getting erratic, looks to be behaving okay than starts staying on till higher and higher revs. The whole time it's doing this I had a multimeter on the battery and it's getting a healthy 14-14.5v charge.

Pulled all the connectors and cleaned them, no change. This fixed the problem a couple of months ago, been fine till now (~3000km). I also tried running a temporary wire from the reg/rec red wire directly to the battery + terminal, no change.

At this stage I'm thinking it must be a reg/rec fault but just in the charge indication circuit.

Cheers, Rob.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
The charging light staying on at increasingly higher rpm is a classic indication of a failing voltage regulator, usually from overheating, but often from heat damaged stator wire insulation.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Inspect the two heavy wires coming from the stator. I was having a problem like yours and upon inspection I found mine were starting to melt. I have rewired with heavier gauge wire. I second the opinion that your voltage regulator is on its way out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm seems a new one though that the reg/rec still appears to be charging the battery okay - the 14 or so volts it's getting is well within spec.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just an update - after the weekend my charge light is now behaving itself again, with no further fiddling from me. At this point I suspect rain may have crept into one of the connectors and caused my issue (lost of rain here on Friday).

I'm willing to just keep an eye on this for now and see how things pan out. Last time this happened cleaning all the connectors and reassembling fixed it and it has worked fine as my daily rider (10-15km each way) with no battery charge issues.

I'll pick up an after market reg/rec to have on hand as a spare.

Rob.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I road my SS out to Ohio last summer in 1st 5 hours it poured rain, after getting off the highway to get gas my battery light popped on and stayed on at idle/low rpm for the rest of trip. When i got home I took off/sanded then tightened some grounds and that helped a bit It continued to do it for awhile, less and less then just sparatically and stopped. This summer i started the bike up, its fine occasionally it comes on at idle but thats about it. I think its just like free advertising for Yuasa.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts