Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I always had a problem with the old Yuasa battery on my hyper821 during winters in West Texas (-10)! And then called in the guys at Antigravity Batteries all they told me that I have warm up the battery on a cold day. So, I leave the headlights on for few mins before I hit the start button, and it starts every single time! Yes, if you switch on the bike and don't warm up the battery, sure you will have a sluggish start, but never in the last two years, I had problems with cold start while using Antigravity Battery! Just warm it up takes 2 mins! 3rd year in, still going strong!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update:

I wound up changing the battery one day before my 2,000 mi. ride. It's a good thing I did. The bike started right up. Early morning temps were relatively cold on the trip (mid-40s F) compared to where I live in So. Cal. I'm sure my old battery would not have started the bike.

I wanted to put a Lithium battery in but the dealer didn't have one in stock and I was leaving the next morning. So I replaced it with the stock Yusa. Next time, I'll use Lithium. All's good now.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Update:

I wound up changing the battery one day before my 2,000 mi. ride. It's a good thing I did. The bike started right up. Early morning temps were relatively cold on the trip (mid-40s F) compared to where I live in So. Cal. I'm sure my old battery would not have started the bike.

I wanted to put a Lithium battery in but the dealer didn't have one in stock and I was leaving the next morning. So I replaced it with the stock Yusa. Next time, I'll use Lithium. All's good now.
[/QU

·
Registered
348 Posts
2014, bought new late 2015. Still on original battery. Everyday rider, Duc is my only ride. No tender and it gets cold here in Reno. Already into the teens for the low.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, I just got this fantastic stuff from Antigravity today, as on most Ducati motorcycles, you can look at the battery voltage on the menu but it doesn't tell you much like how the battery is really doing. Antigravity has this Bluetooth Battery Tracker for Lead and Lithium-Ion Batteries, where you just put it on the battery, download the app, and the app monitor battery status through your phone or tablet. The app has three main pages: Voltage Test, Cranking Test and Charging Test (See the screenshots), and it's easy to monitor the battery's voltage. You can view real-time data as well as historical results (31 days) that graphically display the dates, voltages, and more.

The tracker will even send a warning to your phone if your battery is getting low and needs a charge. I mean, what more you need for $35!! This shit is lit! I did put a tracker (lithium-ion) on my hyper821, and now I am going get one for tracker (lead-acid) for my Accord!

Also, it's tiny enough to fit under the seat! So I would say that it is a direct fit for almost all the motorcycles. Now I can see how my battery is doing during the cold weather start! Something we all need here in West Texas :p

·
Registered
93 Posts
Lots of starts with short trips and then bike sits for a while. No chance for bike to catch up on charging battery I think kills most batteries. I have had no problems with Lithium batteries in cold weather, 530exc and 500exc. 2014 Multi with stock battery still, 13k miles, have to put on trickle charger periodically since I do short trips sometimes to work and then it sits so I think it slowly loses charge because it just doesn't get charged up fully before stopping. Bike sits outside under carport year around in PNW. Sometimes after work in morning and freezing weather it's pretty slow to turn over but it will fire up, wipe frost off seat and take off for home. That's when I will put on trickle charger when home.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts