Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:think: My bike did not want to start today after a ride. I took it to Newport Ducati and they said it was the retifyer and covered under warranty. They said the battery is also bad (but only covered 6 mos), so I need a new one. Does anyone know what battery type or # is needed for our bikes...I don't want to buy it from the dealer.

They also offered me extended warranty from Ducati 1 2 and 3 yrs, since I still have warranty for 2 more days. I have to buy it tomorrow...should I get it? It cost about $1000 for 3 years and $50 deductible. I have 24k mile and counting in the last 2 years.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
If it's the Forever Red coverage, then it's backed by Ducati and it's probably worth doing, especially if you ride a fair amount of miles. If you get bit by the valve guide issue, that alone would make it worth your while.

If you only put a couple thousand a year on your bike, then it's probably not a good financial bet, but you never know. You pays yer money; you takes yer chances.

If it's not the Forever Red coverage, then its value is highly suspect.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Regarding the EverRed extended warranty -

Most of my friends that I ride with that have SC's have high mileage - 06 or 07 with 25k +...and these are the issues I see...

1) Tank warping ($1,200 part that will have the same exact problem if you live in the US and put the same gas in it. You may want to try coating the inside of your new tank with some sort of nautical epoxy I heard of one guy doing locally that worked. )
2) Voltage regulator/rectifier ($120 dollar plug and play part)
3) Oil sensor/temp gauge ($80 dollar plug and play part)
4) Valve guides being blown (The jury is still out on this with me. 3 friends have issues here...but all their bikes seem to run...just fine. Not a conspiracy theorist at all, but I do think the "this is a known problem with these 2v motors" thang leads to a bit of mechanic b.s.. Although apparently there is a string of 749 R's that won't idle, 996 that hiccup at 7k RPM...so...this engine abnormality may be another apple not falling far from the tree.)

I've decided to roll the dice. My bike is out of warranty. I'm taking my 1k to throw down on an aluminum tank. I'm praying that I don't start seeing a lot of white smoke or anything that would be indicative of a valve guide issue. I may win. I may lose. Either way you take a chance.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got the ForEver Red warranty...as my original 2 year warranty just expired...they told me the battery only covered for the first 6 months

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ordered/used this before converting to A123 cell packs...[/QUOTE]

How is your conversion working out?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it's the Forever Red coverage, then it's backed by Ducati and it's probably worth doing, especially if you ride a fair amount of miles. If you get bit by the valve guide issue, that alone would make it worth your while.

If you only put a couple thousand a year on your bike, then it's probably not a good financial bet, but you never know. You pays yer money; you takes yer chances.

If it's not the Forever Red coverage, then its value is highly suspect.
I just checked my receipt, I have the Ever Red.. I just got it 1 day before my 2 year warranty expires. I picked up the additional 3 years. I have 24,414 in 2 years...currently at the shop

1 - 8 of 8 Posts