Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've had my SFS for a week now. Last Sat, I rode about 50 miles and another 50 on Sunday. Monday morning it was reluctant to start and seemed like the bat was weak. Hooked up the battery tender and the green light flashed for 7 hours. I figured the dealer didn't fully charge it. No biggie.

I put another 100 on during the week and another hundred yesterday. This morning, the battery shows 12.2 volts and it's on the tender right now. What's the story? Is it the flashing theft prevention light that is discharging my battery? Will I need to hook up the BT every night?

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
The theft protection light goes out after several hours (I'm not sure how many, certainly less than 24).

I've had mine sit for a week and still show 13.05 volts on my multimeter and I've hooked the battery tender once or twice but wasn't needed.

It does turnover slow when compared to an I-4 tho.

Are your battery connections tight?

Chris

So, I've had my SFS for a week now. Last Sat, I rode about 50 miles and another 50 on Sunday. Monday morning it was reluctant to start and seemed like the bat was weak. Hooked up the battery tender and the green light flashed for 7 hours. I figured the dealer didn't fully charge it. No biggie.

I put another 100 on during the week and another hundred yesterday. This morning, the battery shows 12.2 volts and it's on the tender right now. What's the story? Is it the flashing theft prevention light that is discharging my battery? Will I need to hook up the BT every night?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked the connections and they are tight. It may be the battery itself. I'll keepa close eye on it and when I bring it in for the first service, I'll ask them to take a look at it. My dealer has sold 4 S models already and he is very happily surprised.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I leave it hooked up to the batter tender all night and this morning the green light is solid and it still measures only 12.2 volts. Guess I'll be asking for a new battery at the first service.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, but as these bikes are brand new under warranty , those issues would be ducati's.

When time comes to replace the one in my SF, I'm going to go with a speedcell. Probably going to go ahead and get one for the aprilia.
Chris

Guys...if you're having battery problems (and who doesn't form time to time)...I like these guys:
www.batterytex.com

They have a great selection of Ducati motorcycle batteries...

-Mc

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had mine sit for a week and still show 13.05 volts on my multimeter and I've hooked the battery tender once or twice but wasn't needed.

Chris
Chris,

What does the voltage show on the "dashboard" display? Mine will not show over 12.2 after 3 days on the battery tender. Thanks

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I think the display voltage is lower than the battery voltage at the battery. A fully charged 12 volt battery on a bike should actually be around 13+

Don't know of your past experience with ducs, BUT they do turn over a fair bit slower than an inline four.

Chris

So I guess I need to use your multi-meter and my problem will dissapear ;)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Don't know of your past experience with ducs, BUT they do turn over a fair bit slower than an inline four.

Chris
My very first bike was a 1966 160cc Monza Jr. that I bought used in 1967 from Ghost Motorcycles in Port Washington, Long Island. I've owned 9 Jap I-4s, one 650 BSA and an SV650s since then, with an 18 year break from bikes from 85 to 03, and the SF is my 2nd Duc.

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
So I got a Speedcell SBK for my SF from Motowheels about 5 weeks ago. It has been sitting on the shelf ever since and just decided to hook 'er up today:rolleyes: Any how, it read 13.1v at hook up and the OEM was just above 12v. Very impressed with this little battery. Bike fires up WAY better.

Also put on the DP open clutch cover. Haven't decided on pressure plate though. Will fire up pics on monday.

The battery takes about 1/3 the space so there is a bit of room left over. I filled the space with a chunk of foam. Ugly foam at that:eek:

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
So I got a Speedcell SBK for my SF from Motowheels about 5 weeks ago. It has been sitting on the shelf ever since and just decided to hook 'er up today:rolleyes: Any how, it read 13.1v at hook up and the OEM was just above 12v. Very impressed with this little battery. Bike fires up WAY better.

Also put on the DP open clutch cover. Haven't decided on pressure plate though. Will fire up pics on monday.

The battery takes about 1/3 the space so there is a bit of room left over. I filled the space with a chunk of foam. Ugly foam at that:eek:
Did you have to modify the cables in any way to get this to work?? I'm thinking about getting one for the ape and one for the sf.

Chris

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
Did you have to modify the cables in any way to get this to work?? I'm thinking about getting one for the ape and one for the sf.

Chris
I just used the bolt and nut from the stock battery to connect. You can get quick release adapters designed for people that want to use the one batery for more than one bike.:think: I only have the one bike so it wasn't a consideration. I find the battery a tad inconvenient to consider doing that with if you frequently like to swap bikes. However, if you rode different bikes for different seasons it would be a great set up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts