Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own several trickle chargers that work differently so I did some research. I found it's possible for a "trickle charger" to damage your battery. Here are my conclusions:

Battery Tender Junior
- Charges at about 14.4 volts then shuts itself off until battery voltage drops
- Conclusion: safe

Cheap Amazon trickle charger (MOTOPOWER MP00205A 12V 800mA Fully Automatic Battery Charger/Maintainer) $13.50
- Charges at about 14.2 volts then backs down to 13.2 volts
- Conclusion: safe and maintains battery at full charge without inflicting damage at least
according to this article - Trickle Chargers, Float Chargers, Self Discharge Rates and How it Works Together

NOCO Genius G750 6V/12V 750mA Advanced Battery Trickle Charger Maintainer $29.95
- Charges at a continuous 14.4 volts contrary to the manufacturers claims
- Conclusion: Charge rate too close to the overcharging threshold; unsafe to leave on charger for long periods

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
I own several trickle chargers that work differently so I did some research. I found it's possible for a "trickle charger" to damage your battery. Here are my conclusions:

NOCO Genius G750 6V/12V 750mA Advanced Battery Trickle Charger Maintainer $29.95
- Conclusion: Charge rate too close to the overcharging threshold; unsafe to leave on charger for long periods
Not correct - Just checked the voltage of this model that has been on my bike for about 3 days, so well into maintenance mode.

Sitting at 12.39 Vdc.

I am very happy with that having been involved with lead acid batteries for many years, well decades.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I have 4 battery chargers that I use at any given time.

I have a YUASA charger that is essentially a Battery Tender Jr. I use it for keeping batteries in my cars that don't get driven topped up. It would be fine for any standard lead acid battery. I found it unsuitable for AGMs after frying 2 of them with it.

I have a Schumacher battery charger from Auto Zone. Had it for decades. I use it for my cars batteries when they go dead because a family member left the interior light on, or some other equally dumb thing. I don't use it for any of my bike batteries.

I have a Tec-Mate smart charger that I use for my bikes with AGM batteries installed. It has the circuitry to charge and go into a maintenance mode. I've used it for a couple of winters now and it does the trick with my AGMs. No fried batteries since getting it. It charges 2 batteries at a time so is ideal for having multiple bikes. Two bikes stay on it all winter long without issue.

I have a Shorai charger for my Shorai battery. I have it because it has the cell balancing circuitry needed for maintaining a Lithium battery. It was not super expensive, less than my Tec-Mate by a bunch.

As for flooded cell, lead acid batteries, I don't use them in my bikes anymore. My opinion is, use the appropriate charger for the type battery you have and your battery will be fine.....sean

·
Registered
543 Posts
I've run 2 Battery Tenders for years with no problems. Used also on my Shorai which is 7 years old.

Paul 03 ST4s, 15 675RX, 96 ZX11, 76 KZ900LTD B-1, 72 SL125

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A comment on your "not correct" statement. What's happened is my Noco Genius charger has developed a defect and that's why it charges continuously at 14.4 volts. This could likely happen to any charger. The circuit responsible for cutting voltage has failed. I have one Battery Tender that works as designed and another that acquired a defect and never goes to standby mode. That defect cost me a couple of car batteries ($250) before I figured it out.

The takeaway is don't trust your charger to work as designed. Use a voltmeter to make sure any charger either moderates it's voltage or cuts it entirely once the battery has achieved full charge.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts

Battery Tender Junior
- Charges at about 14.4 volts then shuts itself off until battery voltage drops
- Conclusion: safe

Cheap Amazon trickle charger (MOTOPOWER MP00205A 12V 800mA Fully Automatic Battery Charger/Maintainer) $13.50
- Charges at about 14.2 volts then backs down to 13.2 volts
- Conclusion: safe and maintains battery at full charge without inflicting damage at least
according to this article - Trickle Chargers, Float Chargers, Self Discharge Rates and How it Works Together

Not correct - Just checked the voltage of this model that has been on my bike for about 3 days, so well into maintenance mode.

Sitting at 12.39 Vdc.

I am very happy with that having been involved with lead acid batteries for many years, well decades.
I have 4 battery chargers that I use at any given time.

I have a YUASA charger that is essentially a Battery Tender Jr. I use it for keeping batteries in my cars that don't get driven topped up. It would be fine for any standard lead acid battery. I found it unsuitable for AGMs after frying 2 of them with it.

I have a Schumacher battery charger from Auto Zone. Had it for decades. I use it for my cars batteries when they go dead because a family member left the interior light on, or some other equally dumb thing. I don't use it for any of my bike batteries.

I have a Tec-Mate smart charger that I use for my bikes with AGM batteries installed. It has the circuitry to charge and go into a maintenance mode. I've used it for a couple of winters now and it does the trick with my AGMs. No fried batteries since getting it. It charges 2 batteries at a time so is ideal for having multiple bikes. Two bikes stay on it all winter long without issue.

I have a Shorai charger for my Shorai battery. I have it because it has the cell balancing circuitry needed for maintaining a Lithium battery. It was not super expensive, less than my Tec-Mate by a bunch.

As for flooded cell, lead acid batteries, I don't use them in my bikes anymore. My opinion is, use the appropriate charger for the type battery you have and your battery will be fine.....sean
A comment on your "not correct" statement. What's happened is my Noco Genius charger has developed a defect and that's why it charges continuously at 14.4 volts. This could likely happen to any charger. The circuit responsible for cutting voltage has failed. I have one Battery Tender that works as designed and another that acquired a defect and never goes to standby mode. That defect cost me a couple of car batteries ($250) before I figured it out.

The takeaway is don't trust your charger to work as designed. Use a voltmeter to make sure any charger either moderates it's voltage or cuts it entirely once the battery has achieved full charge.
This is maybe the perfect illustration of why these discussions are so difficult.

There is massive variability between chargers- even between the same chargers from the same manufacturers!

I have 4 Battery Tenders here.
None of them charge at the same voltage.

Our CTEK and Tec-Mate chargers are much better about variability.

Suggestion- verify charge voltage with a multi-meter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts