Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Converting to K&N filter pods to go on the FCR 41s and need to do something about the battery box. I'm not interested in destroying my current air box to get the battery box isolated. Does anyone have a template I can use to make one? I believe FourRings had one for sale, but I haven't heard back... and I feel like an ass bugging him. This guy made one (Ducati Suite- Jet Kit / Pod Filter Install), but it doesn't look as solid as some of the others I've seen. I'd like to do this one time and get it right the first time if able. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I wouldn't go by those photos because the Mikunis would require a very different design than FCRs.

I don't have a template or even dimensions, but I made mine from 5000 series aluminum on a sheet metal brake in an afternoon. It's not the prettiest job but it works well. It's mounted on the rear mounts for the stock airbox.

I mocked it up using Cardboard Aided Design and then bent two pieces of metal, riveting them together to form a box. Then fine tuned it on the bike. My battery is stock size and mounted a fair bit lower than stock this way, and there is plenty of clearance above everything to mount the coils, so exact dimensions aren't critical.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't go by those photos because the Mikunis would require a very different design than FCRs.

I don't have a template or even dimensions, but I made mine from 5000 series aluminum on a sheet metal brake in an afternoon. It's not the prettiest job but it works well. It's mounted on the rear mounts for the stock airbox.

I mocked it up using Cardboard Aided Design and then bent two pieces of metal, riveting them together to form a box. Then fine tuned it on the bike. My battery is stock size and mounted a fair bit lower than stock this way, and there is plenty of clearance above everything to mount the coils, so exact dimensions aren't critical.
That looks perfect. Not too worried about the overall looks... just function that lasts. You rock. Thanks for posting that!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I actually still have this template from the one I made. There are no dimensions on it but it was done to scale in visio and converted to pdf, so if you are viewing the document at 100% in Adobe it will render the correct dimensions on screen. Then you just have to measure the image with a ruler :laugh:

Pic shows the outcome with stock coils and a lithium battery, but the design was made to fit the OEM battery.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually still have this template from the one I made. There are no dimensions on it but it was done to scale in visio and converted to pdf, so if you are viewing the document at 100% in Adobe it will render the correct dimensions on screen. Then you just have to measure the image with a ruler :laugh:

Pic shows the outcome with stock coils and a lithium battery, but the design was made to fit the OEM battery.
That's probably about the easiest solution. Looks nice and clean too. Printing now... headed to buy the materials on the way home. Cheers!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

One quick question... looks like the battery is just sitting inside the indentation from the folds in the metal... are you securing the battery in any way other than having it sit there?

·
Registered
164 Posts
One quick question... looks like the battery is just sitting inside the indentation from the folds in the metal... are you securing the battery in any way other than having it sit there?
Ah, those aren't actually folds. Those are an assortment of differently shaped and sized foam pads that came with the lithium ion battery, used to take up the empty space since these are usually much smaller in size than the lead acid or AGM original batteries. There is a rubber strap securing the battery from behind as well. I must not have had it attached when I took the picture.

I've been looking at the comments and threads you've been involved in and I gotta say that ditching the airbox was a huge relief for tuning. The thought of taking it off and putting it back on just to make a minor adjustment was panic inducing. Another big plus, with the airbox gone you can fine tune your off idle throttle response via the air screw in the mouth of the carb inlet. Protip - if you drill out the slow air screw access hole in the carb inlet adapter plate, you can adjust it just by popping off the air filter with a thin flat slotted screwdriver. It's great.

Have fun!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, those aren't actually folds. Those are an assortment of differently shaped and sized foam pads that came with the lithium ion battery, used to take up the empty space since these are usually much smaller in size than the lead acid or AGM original batteries. There is a rubber strap securing the battery from behind as well. I must not have had it attached when I took the picture.

I've been looking at the comments and threads you've been involved in and I gotta say that ditching the airbox was a huge relief for tuning. The thought of taking it off and putting it back on just to make a minor adjustment was panic inducing. Another big plus, with the airbox gone you can fine tune your off idle throttle response via the air screw in the mouth of the carb inlet. Protip - if you drill out the slow air screw access hole in the carb inlet adapter plate, you can adjust it just by popping off the air filter with a thin flat slotted screwdriver. It's great.

Have fun!
Sweet... I have the template in hand. What thickness aluminum (I'm assuming you used aluminum to build your box) did you use? And yes... I was literally riding around with brand spanking new FCR's thinking to myself, "This is pretty good... not perfect... but good enough," because I literally didn't want to go through that crap again taking out the airbox and making a single adjustment only to have to put that back together. I was willing to settle for better than OEM, but not great, in order to avoid the ordeal. Now with the pod conversion project, I'm actually excited about tuning the bike!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sweet... I have the template in hand. What thickness aluminum (I'm assuming you used aluminum to build your box) did you use? And yes... I was literally riding around with brand spanking new FCR's thinking to myself, "This is pretty good... not perfect... but good enough," because I literally didn't want to go through that crap again taking out the airbox and making a single adjustment only to have to put that back together. I was willing to settle for better than OEM, but not great, in order to avoid the ordeal. Now with the pod conversion project, I'm actually excited about tuning the bike!
It was just under 1/8 aluminum I think. Rigid enough to support the coils but thin enough to cut easily without a band saw. By far the most difficult part was bending the template into the final shape. Luckily I had access to a brake at work. Without a brake, you're just not going to get quite the same sharp bends, unfortunately.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was just under 1/8 aluminum I think. Rigid enough to support the coils but thin enough to cut easily without a band saw. By far the most difficult part was bending the template into the final shape. Luckily I had access to a brake at work. Without a brake, you're just not going to get quite the same sharp bends, unfortunately.
My office is close to a fabrication shop. I think maybe I'll get the aluminum and then pay them a nominal feel to do the labor. They can probably do this in 15 minutes. Thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts