Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, its going to be one of the first upgrades this winter, a new lithium ion battery and hopefully create enough space in the battery box for a mini tool kit that no ducati should be with out.

Can anyone recommend any particular brand, type... the good and bad points etc, anything I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance,

Bez

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'll be going with a Ballistic. Price is reasonable and can be had through Parts Unlimited, a plus for me. I had a tiny Ballistic for an old kick start Sportster, so I can't speak for one of those buggers for an electric leg...

·
Registered
46 Posts
OK, its going to be one of the first upgrades this winter, a new lithium ion battery and hopefully create enough space in the battery box for a mini tool kit that no ducati should be with out.

Can anyone recommend any particular brand, type... the good and bad points etc, anything I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance,

Bez
and just so we get the facts straight. these are not lithium ion batteries like we see in laptops, or lithium polymer batteries currently being used in the rc hobby industry. these are lithium IRON batteries. while the technology is similar lithium iron is more stable with a reduced risk of burning up while charging or simply exploding. :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a Shorai in my S4RS that I bought from MotoWheels. I was amazed at how light it was and it is much smaller than the OEM. I had to use the included foam pads to get tension on the rubber straps. So far it starts the bike faster than the Yuasa that it replaced.

I like it so well, I just ordered one for my 900SS.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a Shorai in my S4RS that I bought from MotoWheels. I was amazed at how light it was and it is much smaller than the OEM. I had to use the included foam pads to get tension on the rubber straps. So far it starts the bike faster than the Yuasa that it replaced.

I like it so well, I just ordered one for my 900SS.
Very happy with my shorai too. Cranks over my SS with no hesitation.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
+1 Shorai

I have an 18ah Shorai in both of my Ducatis.... the GT starts in less than one second!.....
Get the Shorai charger too

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Dudes, sounds as though the shorai is the "G farkn O"!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Highly recommend that you use one of the second generation Lithium batteries that have a built in BMS (Battery Management System) system. We use and sell the Dutch designed and manufactured Ultrbatts, the same brand as used by some Formula One teams.

There are now a couple of other brands that also have built in BMS systems, such as the Full Spectrum batteries. I haven't any first hand experiments with the FS batteries but They are possibly another good option.

The Lithium batteries with inbuilt microprocessor controlled BMS systems are more expensive than the Shorais and the Ballistics, but a Lithium iron (LiFePo4) battery with an inbuilt BMS system is much safer and should be expected to last longer than the cheap 1st generation batteries that at best have inbuilt short circuit fuses. (in some cases non replaceable internal sacrificial fuses rather than thermal cut outs that reset).

1st generation Lithium battery suppliers usually recommend that you purchase a mains voltage powered BMS to periodically charge and 'condition' your battery at home with, but of course this is of no help when your battery is being charged while you are riding your bike.

Much better is to have a microprocessor controlled BMS built into the top of the battery. Due to the volume of production by companies such as Ultrabatt and because Formula One teams paid for the R&D this now adds little to the cost of the batteries. And because they use dedicated Microproceessors they add almost nothing to the size and weight of the battery.

A good internal BMS should:

Provide short cicuit protection,
Prevent overcharging while charging on the bike,
Provide cell balancing while charging on the bike,
Prevent complete discharge - to stop bricking.

I am currently using an Ultrabatt UB600 (1100 grams) in our project 900SS road bike but have also used an Ultrabatt UB400 (723 grams!) in a 900SS for track use. UB600 weighs just over 1000 grams including inbuilt microprocessor controlled BMS.

Not sure who has won the distribution rights for Ultabatt in the US?

I spent a lot of time talking with potential battery suppliers and looking at their technology before selecting the Ultrabatts. There is a lot of marketing out there!

In my first career (telecommunication/electronics) part of my first job was looking after two 7,500 amp hour batteries that just might have been the largest batteries in the southern hemisphere. One of the funniest things I saw was a trainee who had melted a hole in the battery room floor with a dummy load (think bloody big and hot bar heater) while doing a load test on one of these batteries. The load tester had sunk about 4 inches into the rubber/bitumen floor, The sawn off feet of the load tester are probably still embedded in that floor.

If anyone wants more technical info They can email me for a guide I wrote on caring for and maintaining Lithium Iron batteries.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Been looking for them in Europe, all seem sold out or I import direct, and that means faffing about with customs clearance and duties here in Germany, anyone know where I can get one in Europe + charger.

Thanks,

Bez

·
Registered
421 Posts
Been looking for them in Europe, all seem sold out or I import direct, and that means faffing about with customs clearance and duties here in Germany, anyone know where I can get one in Europe + charger.

Thanks,

Bez
Bez try ultrabatt.com. You can also get them from www.ultrabatt.de they are based in Holland. Should be cheap freight to you and no customs, etc.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1 Posts
Highly recommend that you use one of the second generation Lithium batteries that have a built in BMS (Battery Management System) system. We use and sell the Dutch designed and manufactured Ultrbatts, the same brand as used by some Formula One teams.

There are now a couple of other brands that also have built in BMS systems, such as the Full Spectrum batteries. I haven't any first hand experiments with the FS batteries but They are possibly another good option.

The Lithium batteries with inbuilt microprocessor controlled BMS systems are more expensive than the Shorais and the Ballistics, but a Lithium iron (LiFePo4) battery with an inbuilt BMS system is much safer and should be expected to last longer than the cheap 1st generation batteries that at best have inbuilt short circuit fuses. (in some cases non replaceable internal sacrificial fuses rather than thermal cut outs that reset).

1st generation Lithium battery suppliers usually recommend that you purchase a mains voltage powered BMS to periodically charge and 'condition' your battery at home with, but of course this is of no help when your battery is being charged while you are riding your bike.

Much better is to have a microprocessor controlled BMS built into the top of the battery. Due to the volume of production by companies such as Ultrabatt and because Formula One teams paid for the R&D this now adds little to the cost of the batteries. And because they use dedicated Microproceessors they add almost nothing to the size and weight of the battery.

A good internal BMS should:

Provide short cicuit protection,
Prevent overcharging while charging on the bike,
Provide cell balancing while charging on the bike,
Prevent complete discharge - to stop bricking.

I am currently using an Ultrabatt UB600 (1100 grams) in our project 900SS road bike but have also used an Ultrabatt UB400 (723 grams!) in a 900SS for track use. UB600 weighs just over 1000 grams including inbuilt microprocessor controlled BMS.

Not sure who has won the distribution rights for Ultabatt in the US?

I spent a lot of time talking with potential battery suppliers and looking at their technology before selecting the Ultrabatts. There is a lot of marketing out there!

In my first career (telecommunication/electronics) part of my first job was looking after two 7,500 amp hour batteries that just might have been the largest batteries in the southern hemisphere. One of the funniest things I saw was a trainee who had melted a hole in the battery room floor with a dummy load (think bloody big and hot bar heater) while doing a load test on one of these batteries. The load tester had sunk about 4 inches into the rubber/bitumen floor, The sawn off feet of the load tester are probably still embedded in that floor.

If anyone wants more technical info They can email me for a guide I wrote on caring for and maintaining Lithium Iron batteries.
Hello! I am interested in this guide. I want a replacement for a yamaha xt1200z battery, but i don't know much about lithium, and more i am reading, i am more confuze Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts