Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright boyo's, we already know the Coyotes life is nutty. Keep in mind, I act insane and do dumb shit. I am not hallucinating. My lady will back me up.

Tonight, I had two bats flying around the house. I rent. Neighbor has told me he has seen and counted 47 bats going in eave and coming back out. I reckon I beleive him as I kilt two tonight. One was on the fly with a co2 bb gun. (Hell of a shot trust me) Other was same weapon. (I was going to get my 12 guage but thought better of it) Apparently they are getting in from attic. Again, I rent and told landlord about it. He says, "Thanks for taking care of it." Okay...........

Bats are protected round here. Down home, I killed em at random.

My question is, Has anybody dealt with these vermin and what did you do?

Lately, I been woken up in early AM and now know why. I have a cat I saved from a dumpster some asshole put her in. (Nuther story) She must've been chasing these bastards and woke me up. (I sleep hard ever since seeing psychiatrist.) Yeah, PTSD. Dont know why, dont care but, Jeebus seems to be testing me. Always on an a venture.............

Coyote out.....

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
1) Have the Doc back off on your meds,...
2) At night is your best time to seal them out by researching where they come in during the day and preparing.
3) Some ideas to make sure they leave at night, even cold nights, because they need to feed and are easily irritated.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
SLEEP: Ta hell with backing off on yer meds (bad BAD idea) .... if they're helping you sleep, hey man, take it for all it's worth! Most people have no clue what it's like dealing with several horrible nightmares every night ... and getting two hours of sleep each night .... FOR YEARS ON END. It's like my VA doc told me about sleeping .... "life's a whole lot better when your brain can charge it's batteries all night". Hells yes it is! Stick with it bud ... I'm right there with ya!

BATS: I live in an area where thousands of bats fly right over our rooftop every evening as they head west towards the numerous citrus orchards (oranges, lemons) around here. Those orchards are home to trillions of gnats (aka "no-see-ums" since the little bastards will buzz around your ears, and it looks like you're swatting at nothing by other folks). The bats feed all night on the gnats and other airborne buzzy bugs. We have a streetlight right in front of our house, we watch the bats dive-bombing in on the buggies flying around the light from the streetlamp. In the mornings, right at first light, thousands of bats fly overhead as they return to their caves in the nearby foothills after spending all night filling their bellies on bugs.

Now and then we'll get a "visitor" ... a bat will snuggle up under the eaves of our roof. We never kill them, since they really keep the flying insects under control. It doesn't take much to shoo them away, or better yet preferably just wait until dusk and the little guys will fly off on their own as they group up with their buddies flying towards their feeding grounds in the many acres of citrus trees. They never come back, they just spent the day under the edge of the roof until dusk sets in, then they split. It's most likely the warm air that leaks from seams or cracks that allow heated air from inside the house to flow out which attracts them.

It's trippy watching them fly overhead at dusk by the thousands for about an hour or so. They look like bombers all grouped up flying a mission over Germany in WW2. A few will fly around the streetlamp to get a few bugs for a few minutes, then they continue their flight to the orchards. Sometimes I'll toss a small little pebble into the air and they'll dive after it, but they almost instantly figure out it's just a rock and they swoop away from it, and continue feeding on a few moths or grasshoppers that buzz around the streetlamp.

There's probably ways to block off the hole(s) they use to get into your rafters which will force them to locate some other place to ... ahem ... ~hang out~ during the daytime. I'm sure the interwebs has useful information regarding making them relocate. Killing them just creates more problems than it solves, since you then have little rotting corpses to deal with.

·
Bon Vivant
10,283 Posts
I'm not sure why you think a cat in the dumpster is a bad thing but you wouldn't even flinch at killing a bat... To me its the same thing, either you dont mind killing critters or you do...
Not that I think all life is sacred but I draw the line a little lower on the evolutionary scale. If its got an exoskeleton it dies... (mostly stuck on my helmet face shield)

·
Official Retired Person
7,145 Posts
We had bats in the attic of our old house. I called an exterminator. I was told:

1) I can't kill them as they are a protected species. Who knew?

2) I can't put up a screen to keep them out because there are babies inside. See #1 above.

3) For $300 or so, they would come back after the babies had left and install a one way out screen. How they knew when the babies would leave is beyond me.

4) They would come back about 3 weeks after the one way screen was installed and place permanent screening and anything else necessary to keep the bats out.

Since all this involved tall ladders, I paid them for the job. No bats returned! Four years latter we moved. Problem solved.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure why you think a cat in the dumpster is a bad thing but you wouldn't even flinch at killing a bat... To me its the same thing, either you dont mind killing critters or you do...
Not that I think all life is sacred but I draw the line a little lower on the evolutionary scale. If its got an exoskeleton it dies... (mostly stuck on my helmet face shield)
Umm.........Kitten cute /NOT VERMIN Bat ugly/ VERMIN.

Not to mention the diseases bats can have and transmit. Bat shit crazy comes from a disease caused by bat shit. Infects the brain through breathing in the spores from the shit itself. Can also cause respiratory problems especially in people with a compromised immune system. Which I have because of chemo treatments for cancer I have recently beaten.
Having night terrors can really cause issues. Imagine dealing with PTSD and night terrors, then have a fucking bat come along and freak you out while in a semi deep REM sleep. Im not saying I am scared, Im saying I dont know what I would do should something like that happen. This in itself scares me.
So, whatever you may think, there are reasons to kill. Somethings, some times, some ways............. BTW, a kitten thrown away because you dont want it is no excuse when there are plenty of shelters in the county. A bat however is an unwanted guest that can cause issues mentioned.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I would not think where you live, (where is that?), that bats would be protected nor having babies at this time of year so - yeah, I think you can chase them all out and make it a miserable place for them to come back to in the morning. And hopefully get the holes blocked while they are confirmed to be out, don't want dead body stank up there in the eaves.

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
By careful examination you should be able to find where they are getting inside the house. Spray foam insulation or coarse steel wool or both together will keep them out of the interior. Knowledgable exterminsters will know when baby bat season is over to properly block them from the house. You don’t want dead bats or walls full of guano.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,547 Posts
I would not think where you live, (where is that?), that bats would be protected nor having babies at this time of year so - yeah, I think you can chase them all out and make it a miserable place for them to come back to in the morning. And hopefully get the holes blocked while they are confirmed to be out, don't want dead body stank up there in the eaves.

Just chuck a smoke bomb in there and then seal it up.
Don't know if you have lyssavirus in the states but it's a huge issue with bats here and often deadly.

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have tried the mothball and phenol plan. It fucking reeks in the attic. I counted what looked like 3 hives. Guano everywhere. Had a mask on. Its dark here so they've gone out for food I reckon. Stopped up what I think is the entry point but, can't really be sure. We will see how it goes. Just have to make sure I'm masked up.

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you Davy. I thought of that as well. I went with this since it would take a few days for shipping. I have ordered something similar. Wanted to start right away, between the stink and the ultrasonic, aint no bats gonna fuck with me.............hehehehe

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,547 Posts
Wonder if you can connect it to a 100w amplifier :)
And for what it's worth your not the only one on here with a few bats flapping about in the top paddock ;)

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wonder if you can connect it to a 100w amplifier :)
Buwhahahahaha......... I R electrician...........hahahaha. Good giggle friend.

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Neighbors: Why do my ears ring? hehehehe

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
If you can research the frequency the bats use for their radar you can broadcast it at high volume . They won’t be able to navigate and will leave.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Wiley, are you saying theyre INSIDE your living space? Or in your attic? If in your attic, seems you can seal them out with the one way mesh mentioned. Bats to massive good for agriculture and mosquito control. DOn't kill the lil sweeties.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts