Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
After a bit of pressure from friends I am going to do a production run of carriers for the 320mm Brembo floating discs as per the original design with the 10mm off set. Will fit the Duc's from 9191 thru 1997. Also fits the 916, 996 and some of the other models around that era. They are going to be made from 7075-T6 aluminium and will be hard anodised in gold. Much more durable than the originals. Photo is of the prototype that we had made up.
Also for those that are interested I am looking at getting an alternative friction disc material than cast Iron. If the company is prepared to make them to my specs and in low volumes to start with then we are looking at a friction disc that will have a service life of 100000 miles, will be half the weight of the original discs around 900grm per disc complete and won't rust when been stored over winter. Prices are yet to be confirmed for the complete discs but initial indications are that they will be slightly more expensive than a set of iron replacements but will come complete with a set of special brake pads that will be needed to use them. Personal message me if you are interested.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
After a bit of pressure from friends I am going to do a production run of carriers for the 320mm Brembo floating discs as per the original design with the 10mm off set. Will fit the Duc's from 9191 thru 1997. Also fits the 916, 996 and some of the other models around that era. They are going to be made from 7075-T6 aluminium and will be hard anodised in gold. Much more durable than the originals. Photo is of the prototype that we had made up.
Also for those that are interested I am looking at getting an alternative friction disc material than cast Iron. If the company is prepared to make them to my specs and in low volumes to start with then we are looking at a friction disc that will have a service life of 100000 miles, will be half the weight of the original discs around 900grm per disc complete and won't rust when been stored over winter. Prices are yet to be confirmed for the complete discs but initial indications are that they will be slightly more expensive than a set of iron replacements but will come complete with a set of special brake pads that will be needed to use them. Personal message me if you are interested.
~Where's the photo?

~Not worried about surface rust but, if the material resists such while maintaining the CoF, that would be great.

~What's the price/pair target?

~Best guess at shipping to USA?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry guys , the photo would not up load the other day but here they are. This one is the first of the original shape and design for the full floating discs but I am working on a replica of the "Superbike" Brembo discs as well which will be slightly more expensive but lighter again.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
I am working on a replica of the "Superbike" Brembo discs as well which will be slightly more expensive but lighter again.
Now, I wonder where you got that idea? (I have the dimensioned drawings already done if you want them) Oh well, saves me doing it guess. I'm in, and definitely keen to know more about that alternative rotor material. Sounds very interesting!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the offer Kiwihame but they have already been done as well as a couple of other iterations with the same off set. Have had a couple of people asking about other offsets and yes we can easily do them but I am holding off at the moment - want to get a set of them done first and test them before getting to carried away. Hope to hear back from one of the business that I am dealing with tomorrow to get the friction material side of things sorted out. I have a couple of other ideas that will see them even lighter again but that is a separate project again and I am waiting to hear back from the company as to how wee can make it happen.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Do be sure to test those alternative rotor materials well. I have ridden with ceramic rotors on the street and found they were not as good as bottom of the line brembo's for normal street use. I have also ridden with a set of Lyndal (sp) rotors on the track and found them fine at lower speeds but when pushed did not have enough braking power.

Both sets were MUCH lighter than oem (even aluminum carrier models) but if I was building anything but a showbike designed to be light the brakes were not anything I would run myself.

I do not see why there can sot be materials that strike a balance between weight and friction but lets throw in durability as well while we are dreaming. I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with !

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Friction material and pads have already been tested on other bikes - I am just getting it made to suit my rotors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts