Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Looking at my first Monster tomorrow, and wanted some ideas. Not my first Ducati, I've had a 748 and a 996, as well as a Bevel 1980 900SS.

A bit of an entertaining one, it's a 2002 620 Dark, has something like 25000 miles, and has not had a very easy life judging by the GSXR front fender and missing timing belt covers. Still, the gentleman swears it runs like new and everything works. I, ever the person to build crazy stuff (I daily drive a 6x6 Jeep Wrangler), immediately have ideas.

1. The boring and cost effective route: Do general maintenance things, belts, valves, and do some restoration work to make it semi-reliable for weekend rides and the occasional trip across town. Mostly highway miles so the 5 speed is a downside, and while the 620 is fast and I'd like two brakes up front, it's not that big of a deal.

2. The fun and preferred option: There is a '03 800 S2R engine with half the miles on ebay right now. From the research that I have done, It's the same engine on the exterior, and will bolt right into the frame with no mods, and the rear double swingarm is happy because it's the '03 800, before the single side swingarm. I gain an oil cooler for the Arizona weather, and intake and exhaust all bolt up no problem with the exception of the ECU and the TPS(maybe, depending on Linear vs nonlinear sensor). ECU can be reflashed to the 800 map with no immobilizer(DP map), and I gain my 6 speed.

With this requires a twin disk conversion in the front because I enjoy living, and here is where I can't quite figure things out- I would of course need the twin disk brake master for the bars(easy enough to find) but the difference in calipers and disks is throwing me off. What caliper and disk combos do I need? Some are 300mm, some are 320mm, Apparently there is some thickness variations, some are not offset and some are +10mm...? I'm not really trying to mach the current one, I would be going with a completely new matching pair of calipers and rotors.

Ultimately, Am I on the right track? I'd be willing to document the process for people wanting to do it in the future, and see how it actually compares cost wise. I know that 70% of the comments will be "But it's cheaper just to go and buy a 800" And, while you are correct, I hate myself and my wallet. I also just enjoy working on bikes just as much as I do riding them.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
all the discs use the same 6 bolt mounting pattern.

the s2r800 discs are 300mm, have zero offset and use the sliding 2 piston calipers. i think the 2005> 620 used these also. the caliper mounting on the forks is the same for these sliding calipers and the 4 piston caliper the 02 620 has. the 620 will have 320mm discs with 10mm or so offset.

get another 320mm disc and caliper with 65mm mounting holes and it will go straight on. no need to buy all new unless you really want to. get a 15 or 16mm master cylinder.

you could put a linear tps on the 620 throttle bodies as long as you baselined the throttle opening of "whatever 800 is" degrees above closed for the lh throttle blade. easier than replacing them unless you get the 800 throttle bodies as well. same basic part, just different base setting.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
all the discs use the same 6 bolt mounting pattern.

the s2r800 discs are 300mm, have zero offset and use the sliding 2 piston calipers. i think the 2005> 620 used these also. the caliper mounting on the forks is the same for these sliding calipers and the 4 piston caliper the 02 620 has. the 620 will have 320mm discs with 10mm or so offset.

get another 320mm disc and caliper with 65mm mounting holes and it will go straight on. no need to buy all new unless you really want to. get a 15 or 16mm master cylinder.

you could put a linear tps on the 620 throttle bodies as long as you baselined the throttle opening of "whatever 800 is" degrees above closed for the lh throttle blade. easier than replacing them unless you get the 800 throttle bodies as well. same basic part, just different base setting.
Thank you very much on the brakes. I think I have it all sorted out now. I got the bike this morning, and there's a few interesting things going on with it, and a few fun oil leaks. an engine swap is looking better and better.

I was reading up on that and it looks like that if you put it on and then tune it after you flash the ecu, everything seems happy. I will explore it tonight and might order parts tomorrow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts