Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
comrade moderator
27,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I adjust the idle and reset the service wrench icon on my 2004 ST4S? I'm assuming I need a VDST cable and some voodoo software of some sort?

I'm scared... :surprise:

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,230 Posts
Come on down and we'll hook it up. :D

You got an Android phone or one of them Cult of Steve Jobs phones?

·
comrade moderator
27,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
S8 Baby! :)

Wish the riding season wasn't rapidly coming to a close up here in snow country... :mad:

·
comrade moderator
27,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome! Thanks! I'm gonna screw this thing...I mean, go boldly forth into this new age of ours...dammit!

·
comrade moderator
27,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, i have successfully turned off the "Service" icon. Yay Me!! :D

Next...how do I raise the idle a smidge? Or is it not that simple?

·
Super Moderator
5,374 Posts
Idle is raised by turning the air bleed screws on each throttle body a tiny bit. Really, to be proper, you should start with verifying the valve clearance, balance the throttle bodies, trim down (with software) to get the proper CO reading (you have a Gunson gas tester...right?)...then, if the idle needs adjustment, tweak both air bleeds on the TBs.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
wind the air bleeds out. if it doesn't respond, richen the trimmer first and see what happens.

because winding the air bleeds out leans it out, if it is already too lean to respond to more air then the idle won't change no matter how far you wind them out. in that case, leaving them as they were and richening the trimmer will probably pick the idle speed up.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
Check for a ring of waxy goo in the TB right where the butterfly seats. I’ve found this to be the cause of low idle a few times on my bike. This started happening after the ethenol gas came on the scene. Take a rag soaked in carb cleaner and wipe clean the bore. Ring of goo limits air flow giving the same effect as the bleeds being set too rich.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Yup, I've seen the rings, which demoralizes the glamorous look of our TBs with their gorgeous velocity stacks. My idle wasn't affected, but it's super easy to go WOT, and then get in there with a rag with carb cleaner. Your baby will love it!

While ur in there, check out the great view of the "straight shot" to ur 2 intake valves. I find this is an additional therapy to get ur adrenaline flowing...

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
wind the air bleeds out. if it doesn't respond, richen the trimmer first and see what happens.

because winding the air bleeds out leans it out, if it is already too lean to respond to more air then the idle won't change no matter how far you wind them out. in that case, leaving them as they were and richening the trimmer will probably pick the idle speed up.
So, I guess one should never touch the throttle stop screw on our 996 TB's ?

Isn't that a necessity if/when setting the TPS to 150 mV ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts