Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just done her maiden ride, and all is well in our world now, but I have a few basic questions about these bikes that may be SO DUMB, they don't even exist in a FAQ anywhere.

Dry Clutch, it's my first dry clutch Ducati. The clutch engagement is wild'ly inconsistent. Sometimes it happens at 1/4 pull, sometimes at 3/4 pull. I realize it will be more or less like this, I'm just curious if this is normal or indicative of a dying clutch.

The bike has about 7500 miles I think and the clutch was replaced at 7105 in April of 2015, prior to that another clutch at 7030 in Feb of 2009 and it got a new clutch AND basket at 5800 miles in 2006. So not a lot of mileage, but probably (based on other things) track miles and i guess 3 clutch packs and one basket in it's life.

So this clutch has about 2 years and 400 miles on the plates, basket 12 years and 2000 miles.

ECU mapping, so it feels quite lumpy and uneven to me. I've seen a dyno chart for these bikes, and it's got a pretty big double hump. Regardless, my other bike (s1000s) felt incredible after it's DP ECU Flash. Would doing the same on my bike smooth it out perhaps?

Gearing, my Sc1000s is 14/41, and feels great in my daily use. I THINK the 748 has stock gearing as 1st feels a bit taller than in my Sc1000s. What's the preferred "canyon" gearing for these bikes?

The bike feels great, I'm a little intimidated of course. But it's just hour 3 of day 1. Really glad to be here and riding on top of one of these!!

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Clutch action is not normal. Id also be worried about 3 clutches in 500 miles- unless it was a drag race bike.
In any case, you are likely dealing with old clutch fluid, and/or air in the lines. Its possible the master cylinder has given up the ghost too- that is a 16yr old bike, after all.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clutch action is not normal. Id also be worried about 3 clutches in 500 miles- unless it was a drag race bike.
In any case, you are likely dealing with old clutch fluid, and/or air in the lines. Its possible the master cylinder has given up the ghost too- that is a 16yr old bike, after all.

Right on, it's in my garage plan to replace all those fluids, I didn't want to pay the shop to do those "simple" things.

The previous owner would drain the tank, add a bit of gas with fuel stabilizer, and it would stay parked for a year. Then he'd drain the tank, change the oil, and sometimes it would get new gas and stabilizer and go back for a year of non use. Sometimes it'd come out to play for a couple hundred miles, and get a new oil change, fluid flush and sometimes a clutch. Maybe one of the clutch installs was f'd or something who knows.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
sounds like you need to get someone who knows what they're doing to fix whatever issues it has. it would appear it has a few.

std gearing is 14/38 with the old 2:1 primary drive ratio, which is 8% shorter than your sc1000's 1.84.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sounds like you need to get someone who knows what they're doing to fix whatever issues it has. it would appear it has a few.

std gearing is 14/38 with the old 2:1 primary drive ratio, which is 8% shorter than your sc1000's 1.84.
1 at a time! I'm new to these "old" bikes, I am confident I'm over worried about things. I think it's actually pretty damn sorted but only time will tell. If I'm posting more questions than "what did you do to your Superbike today?" photos....I'm in knee deep!!

Gonna clean it up a bit tonight and I guess count teeth on sprockets.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
That's very short clutch life. Maybe they were only riding it 1/4 mile at a time. >:)

Change clutch fluid and bleed it good. See how it works after. While you are fooling around with hydraulic fluid, do the brakes too.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I think your clutch issue is abnormal. Your slave cylinder may be on the way out. Plenty on the forum to search and know what I am talking about. My clutch engagement is very consistent all the time.

Supper basic question is smoke out of one pipe versus the other: totally normal.

Lumpy is abnormal, but it may be how you are riding it. There is no point in keeping it below 5.6k rmp. On a 748, it's not going to feel too good below that. And I found that 14/40 gearing was to my preference on the 748.

·
Registered
249 Posts
This is a long shot but when I got my 748 with Stock sprockets the clutch pull was a mess. I have owned well over 20 bikes and never had an issue but could not take of smooth to save my life. Had the chain and sprockets changed (up teeth in the rear) and it was night and day! The clutch felt perfect! A year later my clutch slave went out so I added an Oberon which again totally transformed the bike! Almost felt Japanese in its smoothness on shifts!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
If the bike sits for long periods of time things happen that do not on one regularly used.

Is the clutch cover open or stock? If it sits unused, you could have rust or corrosion that would make clutch feel and operation wonky. Same with the slave cylinder if it sits without moving, the seal can leak and allow in air. These are easy things to check and rectify.

Start with taking the slave cylinder apart after draining the fluid and ensuring the bore is smooth and round, and the seal or o-ring is in good condition. Then check at the lever that the reservoir is completely clean internally and before filling and bleeding. Consider replacing the lines, OEM rubber lines will now be pushing 20 years old.

Then the clutch itself is easy to take apart and inspect for damage or corrosion. Not sure if the 748 uses steel or aluminum plates but steel will definitely rust if exposed to moisture and left sitting. Inspect the basket, if it has gouges from the plate tabs you might have had a previous owner fond of abusing the clutch, consider replacing it. The plate themselves can be re-ordered in the stack, basically resetting the wear patterns between fiber and metal plates. It can dramatically improve feel.

Clutch pull with stock springs should not be bad, but perhaps I just do not notice on any of mine. The fit of the lever for your hand should be good, adjust or get an adjustable type that fits you.

As for fueling, ensure you have a new fuel filter, I would also closely inspect the internal lines in the tank, if left dry in an empty tank they seem to rot after a few years. My first ones disintegrated at about fifteen years, the last five of which the tank was stored empty. Also ensure the injectors are cleanish, I would put a big bottle of Chevron Techron in a full tank of non-ethanol premium and ride it, maybe two tanks this way. After doing all that, then evaluate if the fuel programming is up to scratch.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the bike sits for long periods of time things happen that do not on one regularly used.

Is the clutch cover open or stock?
Good tips and I'll be looking at the clutch this weekend for sure. Closed clutch cover, and bike spent it's entire life in Tuscon Arizona, then sat in a warehouse in El Paso for a year. So I'm not seeing any signs of any rusting on any parts, so that's a great sign.

I'll be doing all hoses and a bleed. It was stored with fuel that had stabalizer in it. Great tip on the techron, and maybe some day it'll go in for a proper tune up but for now I just want to ride it.

Seems to run pretty good but I have no real reference. It seems worse than my S1000s, I can't remember my m750 carby or my 999 so..who knows maybe it's DUCATI PERFECT!

I've just never owned a dry clutch Ducati before (this is my 4th Duc) so the clutch feels strange but I think it's to be expected. The pickup point seems to move as the clutch gets hotter and hotter, again I think this is expected.

Is a bouncy and springy tachometer needle expected? HAHAAH I make this bike sound like a total piece of shit...i'll share pictures because it is not even close, it had a wonky steering head angle choice but if it went to the track a lot I can see that. If it went to the track in ARIZONA, I can see clutches not lasting long either.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is a long shot but when I got my 748 with Stock sprockets the clutch pull was a mess. I have owned well over 20 bikes and never had an issue but could not take of smooth to save my life. Had the chain and sprockets changed (up teeth in the rear) and it was night and day! The clutch felt perfect! A year later my clutch slave went out so I added an Oberon which again totally transformed the bike! Almost felt Japanese in its smoothness on shifts!
I have also experienced this on every Ducati I've owned and the shitty Ape. First gear just sucks with standard gearing. I'm reading a lot about dry clutches, and the phenominon of "slip'n'grip" is a good way to describe how it feels, at least when cold.

When it warms up, the pickup point moves a bit, and I can swap gears with what feels like a 1/8 level pull without any issues. Nailing the throttle clutch doesn't slip..then again it's a 748. I'll pop off the clutch cover and take a gander this weekend to see what's in there. It's got an Ohlins so maybe there are some nice clutch mods.

I have to say, one thing that is shocking, is how light the engines rotating mass is. Compared to the 1000ds, which feels like you throw a boat anchor out the back when you get off the throttle, this thing almost feels like it's got a slipper. HMMMM

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
G
Seems to run pretty good but I have no real reference. It seems worse than my S1000s, I can't remember my m750 carby or my 999 so..who knows maybe it's DUCATI PERFECT!

I've just never owned a dry clutch Ducati before (this is my 4th Duc) so the clutch feels strange but I think it's to be expected. The pickup point seems to move as the clutch gets hotter and hotter, again I think this is expected.

Is a bouncy and springy tachometer needle expected? HAHAAH I make this bike sound like a total piece of shit...i'll share pictures because it is not even close, it had a wonky steering head angle choice but if it went to the track a lot I can see that. If it went to the track in ARIZONA, I can see clutches not lasting long either.
The 999 would have been a dry clutch and did you say SC1000, or did the "S" get the wet clutch? If it feels that much different from the 999 you probably have something going on in there that is not normal..

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The 999 would have been a dry clutch and did you say SC1000, or did the "S" get the wet clutch? If it feels that much different from the 999 you probably have something going on in there that is not normal..
Shit your totally right, I wish I could remember how the 999 felt. All SCs are wet clutch 2007+. All I remember about the 999 was that I never thought a single thing about the clutch ;-)

I'm gonna look up some "clutch rebuild" tutorials and get that cover off this weekend and see how we go!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Huh, what???

“I’ve just never owned a dry clutch Ducati before”

999 ???

What’s that? A ham & cheese toasted sandwich??

·
Registered
445 Posts
Damn boy, ya beat me to it.>:)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Come on, I forgot the 999....I can't be the only one who has, or who would like to! *ducking*

Just kidding, I'm a **9 fan

I didn't have it long, to much bike for my use, and I was being massively extorted by an insurance company so it had to go.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Come on, I forgot the 999....I can't be the only one who has,
Oh please , really?
What, did you only own it for a day??..... or do yo have Alzheimer’s?>:)
Or do you change bikes like you change ya knickers??

I know it’s a 999 , but still , you just don’t forget.:grin2:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh please , really?
What, did you only own it for a day??..... or do yo have Alzheimer’s?>:)
Or do you change bikes like you change ya knickers??

I know it’s a 999 , but still , you just don’t forget.:grin2:
I didn't forget I had a 999, I forgot my 999 had a dry clutch. I had an m750 wet clutch Monster and a 999. I kept the 999 for about 1 year, and then realized I wasn't rich and needed to trim shit down. It was bone stock, with about 4K when I let her go.

The next bike I owned 5 years later was a 69 Suzuki GS750, then a RSV Factory 05' to see what the other side of that 05' 999 was like, but it never ran so fuck that turd. Then I moved back to the USA a year ago. So yeah my brain is a bit scrambled.....but my singular memory of the 999 is that is felt as if made of 1 solid brick, was solid and fast as god!!!!

I remember swapping bikes with a buddies R1 around Big Sur.....bag of bolts is what I remember about that bike. Back on my solid piece of metal 999, was happy!

As for its' clutch................zero memories. I rode the 748 home tonight, and yeah its' clutch pick up point in the lever travel is all over the place, the tall stock gearing makes 1st gear a bit to long. Some work to do....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts