Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping there is some info avail here...

Picking up a 996S this weekend (Ohlins / Showa) . Bike is decent but will need lots of TLC.
Want to start with suspension - rebuild of Shock, steering damper, and forks with Ohlins cartridge added. Planning on having PPS do the work...

Question is - what is a good baseline for ride height - front and rear, and how do is it measured at the rear? Will be 80% street / 20% Track. Just need a solid starting point. I am knowlegable on setting sag, so that's not an issue.
Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Welcome, the 996S is a great bike.

But since you know how to set your sag, us giving your our numbers for compression/rebound will not be valid considering we do not now how PPS is going to set up your internals. IF you are going to send these off ASAP, then "get-er-done" and not worry much about where we have set dampening, as our numbers most likely will not be valid.

PPS should get you damn close....

If you're worried about riding for a few days then set it to what feels good for you, or go by what Ducati/Ohlins says to set inititially, this info is easily found in the owner manual.

Again welcome!

Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I guess I didn't clearly ask my question -

Trying to get a handle on ride height - that is, how much of the fork tube should poke up through the triple clamp / where should I set the rear ride height adjuster - to get a good starting point.

I am familiar with setting compression and rebound (former racer..). Just need to know where to initially set the bike when the shocks / forks come back. I'll even be happy if someone can provide factory settings...

·
Super Moderator
8,249 Posts
Stock front is three rings showing above the top triple on the forks.
The rear rideheight was delivered from Ducati in the lowest position (shortest).

Raising the rear rideheight by 10mm (meassuring from the rear axle to the middle of the exhaustcan) gives the bike better handling imho. Most racers I´ve talked to keep the front head angle in the "street" position, choosing instead to lower the forks and raise the rear instead.

I run my Showa front at 10 clicks compression and 11 clicks rebound with 3 rings showing above the OEM tripleclamp and static sag ~20mm (cant remember the dynamic.. 1/3 of total suspension travel probably). Rear is raised by 10mm on the rideheight adjuster. I´m not going to get into sag and comp/rebound, because my rear Öhlins was custom rebuilt by Öhlins R&D :)
I try to set the front and rear compression/rebound to about the same speed.

Here is some info..
http://www.mad-ducati.com/Technical/916Suspension.html

More of the same..
http://www.ducatisti.co.uk/forum/62-post1.html

//amullo

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perfect.
Just what I needed.

M