Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Ive come to the harsh reality that I cant afford an S model :( so I was hoping to pick up a base model and mod it a bit. the only thing I think I would really miss is the Ohlins. So I was thinking about upgrading the rear shock with an Ohlins shock and getting the front forks revalved, with Ohlins internals. Is this economical? Is this a good idea? I would probably have to get the Ohlins on the S repsrung anyway cause I'm a big guy. so not only would I have to pay for the S I would have to pay extra to get it resprung. I also love the white and so that also factors in.

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
the showa suspension on the base model is almost just as good as the Ohlins, the variability of adjustment is less, but the performance is nearly the same. For street riding you will not likely notice the difference. a more obvious difference would be the forged wheels or traction control (both are available aftermarket).
I saw a 1098 rear Ohlins shock go for 650 on ebay a month ago.. so keep your eyes open for good deals.

·
Registered
270 Posts
real ohlins suspension is very expensive. you are getting their mass produced stuff. it is not their true aftermarket product, dont be fooled. i had the hyper S in which was junk. a buddy of mine upgraded front / rear suspension on his gsxr1000 and the shock was totally different. its just a name. get the base model, and then get penske. they make the best stuff. but again all personal preference.

·
1,642 Posts
I humbly disagree...
:) that's fine. I really don't have enough experience to make a real call like that, but I'm just saying,, IMO.
also like Octane says. it is Ohlin's production line stuff, not their aftermarket expensive stuff. And I think for street riding, you can probably get just about as much satisfaction out of the Showa as you would the Ohlins. but maybe not

·
Bon Vivant
10,928 Posts
real ohlins suspension is very expensive. you are getting their mass produced stuff. it is not their true aftermarket product, dont be fooled. i had the hyper S in which was junk. a buddy of mine upgraded front / rear suspension on his gsxr1000 and the shock was totally different. its just a name. get the base model, and then get penske. they make the best stuff. but again all personal preference.
statements like this are just rhetoric. We don't know the difference between the production and the aftermarket forks and shocks from Ohlins. Lots of people like to say lots of things but the bottom line is until I see some specs about the differences published by Ohlins I will only take opinions as just that ...opinions.

Nothing personal against anybody's opinion or experience but I can tell a big difference between the Ohlins on two of my bikes and the Showas on two of my bikes. The Ohlins suspension performs much better in every riding situation from commuting to canyon rides.
But thats just my experience and my opinion :rolleyes:

·
Registered
465 Posts
:) that's fine. I really don't have enough experience to make a real call like that, but I'm just saying,, IMO.
also like Octane says. it is Ohlin's production line stuff, not their aftermarket expensive stuff. And I think for street riding, you can probably get just about as much satisfaction out of the Showa as you would the Ohlins. but maybe not
I also disagree. Yes it's the mass produced stuff but it's still 10x better than the mass produced Showa. It really depends on your riding type and ability. If you push you can tell a big difference. If you don't, you won't. It's that simple. I have to believe that when people say there's no difference it's obvious they haven't experienced the difference.

That being said, you can make it better than an "s" If you want. Either one will require work with your weight, presumably.

The biggest difference will be the wheels and the traction control. The latter we've all lived without thus far.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would be using the bike on the track but I only ride a slow B right now :think: I have a track dedicated bike. Im 6'3 240 lbs. I had my track bike completely revalved with the superbike internals and it makes a big difference over the stock Ohlins. To bring the thread back on topic, I'm not questioning whether or not the Ducati Ohlins is lesser or greater quality than what comes directly from the Ohlins factory. My main question is whether its economical to upgrade the rear with an Ohlins rear shock, or should I just get it redone, and to revalve the front forks, or just save up for the S? (but I like the White very much)

·
Bon Vivant
10,928 Posts
A lot of guys really like the ohlins cartridge upgrade for their showa forks. Much cheaper and great reviews.. I believe you can get the TTX shock from Dan kyle racing for under a grand.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Get the white base, you like the looks so that really does matter. Then, when budget allows, find a shop that really knows suspensions and get whatever suits your needs best (ohlins, penske, whatever). Then save up for some BST carbon fiber wheels. When you are finished, you will have spent less (assuming you buy wheels for either version) and have the exact bike tailored just the way you want it. My $0.02.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Get the white base, you like the looks so that really does matter. Then, when budget allows, find a shop that really knows suspensions and get whatever suits your needs best (ohlins, penske, whatever). Then save up for some BST carbon fiber wheels. When you are finished, you will have spent less (assuming you buy wheels for either version) and have the exact bike tailored just the way you want it. My $0.02.
You could also put a race tech gold valve kit.

Me I'm mediocre rider so the showa will work fine for me.

Chris

·
Bon Vivant
10,928 Posts
The Race Tech gold valve is really tailored for vintage bikes and simple suspensions. I have them in my Thruxton. But the stock internals on a modern USD Showa is light years ahead of that.

·
Bon Vivant
10,928 Posts
Me I'm mediocre rider so the showa will work fine for me.
Chris. yes it will absolutly work fine for you and I'd have to say that it'd work fine for an expert rider as well.

But what most people don't understand is how nice the ride is on the Ohlins for every day riding. No matter what your skill level, there is a difference.
They are firm yet compliant with no harshness and minimum brake dive. When set up properly for the riders weight they are magic. No longer do you try to avoid road imperfections when going around a corner, the bike stays planted and smooth. (wouldn't recommend diving into potholes though:eek:)

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Ahhhhhhh but you forget, I also ride a brutale with marzocchi forks, now THAT is a brutal ride!! After logging several long trips on it I now know why they call it the brutale. And i've the suspension setup for "touring" ;)

It was just an economics issue for me. I couldn't keep my other two bikes AND get an S model so opted for standard.

My 996S with ohlins was a wonderful bike and no doubt the ohlins is the way to go if you can swing it.

Chris

Chris. yes it will absolutly work fine for you and I'd have to say that it'd work fine for an expert rider as well.

But what most people don't understand is how nice the ride is on the Ohlins for every day riding. No matter what your skill level, there is a difference.
They are firm yet compliant with no harshness and minimum brake dive. When set up properly for the riders weight they are magic. No longer do you try to avoid road imperfections when going around a corner, the bike stays planted and smooth. (wouldn't recommend diving into potholes though:eek:)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Exactly.... Ohlins really does make a noticeable difference if you can afford it, but I hopefully will be just as happy with the fork revalve and new rear shock.

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
I would like to try out the base model to see what I think of the Showas but I couldn't be any more impressed with the Ohlins. They are superb.

·
1,642 Posts
I still think it's going to be a hard thing to compare directly because most the bikes with the Ohlins also have upgraded lighter wheels.. THAT makes a big difference. Especially on roads with bumps.. less traveling unsprung mass to move around,, moves easier.. etc.

·
Registered
66 Posts
$1,999 Öhlins Hyper FGK Kit and TTX Shock Deal for Hyper-Sportbikes!

got mine from kyleusa.com. call kyleusa.com and they'll give you the $1,999 price.

FYI:

http://www.ohlinsusa.com/us/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=101:oehlins-hyper-fgk-kit-and-ttx-shock-deal-for-hyper-sportbikes&catid=1:latest-news

Öhlins Hyper FGK Kit and TTX Shock Deal for Hyper-Sportbikes!

Posted by Mirage
Monday, 26 October 2009

Öhlins Hyper FGK Kit and TTX Shock Deal for Hyper-Sportbikes!

Hendersonville, North Carolina: No joke. An Öhlins TTX shock, and an FGK 25 mm fork kit installed, for $1,999.00. That’s the deal offered by Öhlins USA until the end of December, or as long as supplies last. This is more than a 60% discount, including installation.
This special Racing Stimulus promotion from Öhlins USA, for hyper-sportbikes, includes kits and shocks for nearly all sportbikes from 600 cc to 1000 cc, from all Japanese brands to Ducati and Triumph’s 675s. Supplies are limited.

Kits installed in the fork legs, and a shock in a box, all for a one-time-only discount. Take advantage of this limited-time offer to fit your bike with the world’s number-one, record-setting, race-winning, championship-deciding suspension components. Öhlins suspension components are designed to bring out the best in a bike, giving the rider unequalled feel and control for the ultimate in confidence.
To place an order call Öhlins USA: 828-692-4525. Refer to FGK promotion.
Öhlins USA distributes and services the world’s leading performance suspension for automobiles, motorcycles, ATVs, and snowmobiles. Öhlins develops its proprietary and innovative suspension components at the highest levels of racing from open-wheel car racing, to Moto GP, to off-road competition on two and four wheels. Öhlins USA also provides training for service centers and dealers. www.Ohlinsusa.com.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Yup...potholes are not for any sort of suspension testing... trust me! Maybe for an enduro or something?

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
That's what I did.

We then swapped more parts out and painted it:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts