Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Life and terrible weather conspired against me. My 900SS rebuild drags on. Just opened the gasket kit from Athena and there is no horizontal base gasket. Digging through my jug boxes, I can't find the old one. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Yes , you’re missing a base gasket ( shim) . They claim you can re- use them but when I did I got a leak. I might have forgotten to anneal it first, though.

·
Registered
2000 M900Sie, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille-R, 2x 1981Guzzi Monzas, IWL Pity, Piaggio Hexagon, PX Vespa
518 Posts
I have a question to add to this as i am doing basically the same right now. In my workshop manual (900SSie Page 207) it says to use gasket gloop on the base gasket. There wasn't any on there on disassembly so what's that about?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I thought it meant goo just on the little oil passage seal, not the whole base gasket?
If you have the metal gasket you don't need sealant on the whole area, imo, one or the other.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
Base gaskets were always installed with sealant on the whole gasket, there were times when the sealant type changed and they did a better or worse job sealing but they always had something. Using sealant does NOT mean slather on so much that you will send sealant all through the motor but it does prevent leaks so i do recommend using some. There was a red almost loctite product used for years and it was about the worst these days Ducatibond is used and it works very well.

Base gaskets can be re-used about 99% of the time but plan on getting them free of all old sealer before applying new.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Well, good to know. My air cooled experience has been with old VW engines that use copper shims to set the deck height without sealant. I turned my current project repairing the bent valve over to an experienced Ducati mechanic precisely because I don't know these standard practices, and my home shop is pathetically equipped.

BTW, I did remove one head and barrel before packing it all up for delivery to the mechanic - there was no sealant on either side of the metal base gasket, dry as a bone, clean and shiny except a smidge around the o-rings. A previous owner must have had the heads off as the barrel fins looked bead blasted which is unlikely to have been done while on the bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts