Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what's up with that. It's only very very slight. May even be some sort of optical illusion with the way the duc cockpit is layed out. But it appears my upper triple is turned ever so slightly to the right when the bike is tracking straight down the road.

The bike is an 01 with 1500 miles. Mint condition. NO wrecks. I had a PPI done at Ducati Richmond prior to picking it up and they said it checked out AOK. They are very familiar with the owner, and the bike.

Again, the bike has never been through anything traumatic, so I'm not sure if it's me or the bike. Anything I could check? Any suggestions on how to take a measurement to see if it's just my eyes or if there is something out of whack?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Sounds like they are slightly twisted in the triple clamp. Try to loosen the bolts on the top triple clamp and then re-align the bars before you re-torque them to the proper value.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, it doesn't necessarily look like the bars are out of alignment. it actually looks like the triple clamp itself is every so slighty turned to the right when tracking straight.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I meant that the fork tubes are probably slightly twisted in the triple clamps, so you need to get them loose and the re-tighten it back up.

·
Registered
791 Posts
sblea said:
I meant that the fork tubes are probably slightly twisted in the triple clamps, so you need to get them loose and the re-tighten it back up.
yeah, what he said. you may also want to check if the front wheel is binding from axle nut torqued too tight. maybe try reseating the front axle and realigning triple tree all around the sametime.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Check the simplest thing first: If the rear wheel isn't straight, it will give you a crap-effect. Try moving the right side of the rear axle forward just a fraction and see if it makes a difference. I've had this problem before.

Will.

·
Registered
284 Posts
cheech said:
yeah, what he said. you may also want to check if the front wheel is binding from axle nut torqued too tight. maybe try reseating the front axle and realigning triple tree all around the sametime.
+2

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yep, it's an 01 996. guess i'll look at the front as you guys suggested. well, when i say look at the front, i mean the dealer will :)

i still don't have a rear stand that will fit this bike yet.

thanks.

·
comrade moderator
26,858 Posts
loony888 said:
if his bike is an 01 model and a superbike, it will have a single sided swingarm.

Ahh yes...that would help a great deal knowing what the bike in question is beyond a model year.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
deputydog95 said:
yep, it's an 01 996. guess i'll look at the front as you guys suggested. well, when i say look at the front, i mean the dealer will :)

i still don't have a rear stand that will fit this bike yet.

thanks.
i eventually gave that info up. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts