Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with a Barnett clutch basket please chime in and give me whatever information you can regarding its reliability, quality, and whatever else may have come along. I just purchased a Barnett clutch basket and now im afraid that i may have screwed up. :eek::(

·
Registered
374 Posts
My friend bought one, he liked the price... cheap... but as the old saying goes... you get what you paid for... he HATED it...

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have lots of experience with them including, just recently, having Barnett send me all new clutch plates and basket for a problem I had. What's your specific question?

·
Registered
610 Posts
I just got a new version of the their basket, with the SS sleeves. I mated that with their plates.... 36.5mm is the stacking hight I think.

The new baskets have a collar that is part of the basket, were others may use a ring to hold the tongs in place. And with the SS sleeves covering the contact area makes sense, but we will see.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess my question would be, do they last long? Do the stainless steel inserts fail? Do they wear themselves or the clutch plates down quickly? Should i get another basket and just sell this one on ebay? Here are a couple images my current basket and the completed setup minus the plates.

What do you guys think??:eek:

·
Registered
89 Posts
There was a thread on here a while back that had several people talking about rivet failure on the SS inserts, causing some pretty bad damage. Changed my mind about getting one

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may just acquire a better one then... its still not too late. Thanks

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Whatever, i just now purchased an MPL basket from Matrix...I'm not taking any chances...

·
Registered
264 Posts
yeah,
I'm on that thread. Bottom line is, I still don't think it's a good idea to have alum. plates banging against steel. I also am going to try not to let my bike idle for long. I also think I'm gonna take out the two steel plates in the bottom of the stack. After doing a 215 mile ride with them like that, I couldn't get the bike into neutral and I know the pack was dragging.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have them with the SS inserts.
No problems yet. Been on there for a while now.
I don't know how those rivets can pop out. Riding style? Defective? idk.
I ride mine alot and I clutch all the time.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Apparently, I had an "old" style basket and they knew of the rivet failure. The new basket I got had the rivets in there reversed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts