Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2005 ST3 the fluid reservoirs are attached to the grips. Is this going to make anykind of a bar riser unusable because of the limited space between the reservoirs and the fairing?

·
Registered
208 Posts
You can't raise them very much because of the cables and hoses. Luckily you don't need to raise them a whole lot to significantly increase the comfort level. I can't recall exactly where I got mine but they were only like 1/2", roughly $40 IIRC.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
On my 2005 ST3 the fluid reservoirs are attached to the grips. Is this going to make anykind of a bar riser unusable because of the limited space between the reservoirs and the fairing?
Does not the 2005 ST3 have adjustable height bars fitted as standard ? :confused:

·
Registered
825 Posts
Yeah, but..........................

You can't raise them very much because of the cables and hoses. Luckily you don't need to raise them a whole lot to significantly increase the comfort level. I can't recall exactly where I got mine but they were only like 1/2", roughly $40 IIRC.
................the 2004 & newer STs have a completely different set-up. No cheap fix. I would like to hear from someone who tries the SpeedyMoto Tall Boy clip-ons. They look like they would work on the newer STs but can't tell for sure if they would go higher than the stock bars. They are adjustable for angle too. www.speedymoto.com
Gregg

·
Registered
208 Posts
^^^^ My apologies, I must be getting old. I read that as 2003 -- and after I read your reply I looked back up and *still* saw it that way until I looked at it like five times -- so my comment is worthless, just like nonadjustable bars. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
523 Posts
Only production options for the ST3 are probably Helibars and Convertibars. Do a search using "bar riser st3" in this forum.

Convertibars

Helibars

Bill W.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just installed the helibars on my 2006. They allow for angle adjustment of the levers and some rise and setback with stock lines. It made a huge difference for me.

Whoever test rode the thing when it was designed must have ridden in full tuck the whole time. How else could they have set the levers so that they were rotated so high. Usually you drape your hands over the bars and you want your fingers to fall comfortably on the levers. Can't do that with stock, but the helibars did make it 100% better.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
I just installed the helibars on my 2006. They allow for angle adjustment of the levers and some rise and setback with stock lines. It made a huge difference for me.

Whoever test rode the thing when it was designed must have ridden in full tuck the whole time. How else could they have set the levers so that they were rotated so high. Usually you drape your hands over the bars and you want your fingers to fall comfortably on the levers. Can't do that with stock, but the helibars did make it 100% better.

Jeff
Guess everyone is different. I'm only 5'7" and have no problem with the controls. Sure the bars could be a bit higher & closer.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Your ST3 uses the same integrated reservoirs as the XX9 series did. I needed to raise the riding position on my 999S and had the same fairing interference issue that you speak of. With the help of LSL risers and Rizoma reservoirs this is the result. I would guess that you can do the same with your ST3.

The integrated reservoirs just pop off of the OEM master cylinders after your remove the "in-the-reservoir" bleeder assembly. You then have to replace that "in-the-reservoir" bleeder with a regular one.

You also have to insert an elbow for the remoter reservoir's feed line into the rubber grommet where the integrated reservoir's nipple was placed.

Both pieces are readily available from Yoyodyne.

·
Registered
10 Posts
At least with the helibars you can raise them all the way up on the forks and they will not interfere, problem is the lines aren't really long enough to do that so you would need new brake line, clutch may reach though. I have mine ~14mm below the triple clamp with stock lines and helibars and there is plenty of clearance. Mine is a 2006.

Jeff

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
At least with the helibars you can raise them all the way up on the forks and they will not interfere, problem is the lines aren't really long enough to do that so you would need new brake line, clutch may reach though. I have mine ~14mm below the triple clamp with stock lines and helibars and there is plenty of clearance. Mine is a 2006.

Jeff
That's interesting. On my 2007 ST3S I can raise the Helibars all the way up with all the stock hoses and cables. I did have to rotate the brake line fittings down as per the instructions but nothing other than that.

Mike

·
Registered
126 Posts
I put the Helibars on my 2005 ST3 today. The installation went exactly as the instructions said, except for having to drill and easy out 5 bolts. They do require rotating the brake lines as covered in the instructions. They do go all the way up as advertised. My Doctor had expressed concern for my back and hip in the lower ridding position of the stock bars.

·
Registered
190 Posts

Jeff
That's interesting. On my 2007 ST3S I can raise the Helibars all the way up with all the stock hoses and cables. I did have to rotate the brake line fittings down as per the instructions but nothing other than that.

Mike

Gentlemen - Any pics available?

·
Beta Tester
1,957 Posts
this help? stock lines, heli's all the way up, plenty of slack in the lines.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Thanks Lumux, I was looking for pictures and all I could find are with mine all the way down. Dude, your reservior covers are screaming to be replaced by some of those expensive cnc covers :) It's only money.

·
Beta Tester
1,957 Posts
Dude, your reservior covers are screaming to be replaced by some of those expensive cnc covers :) It's only money.
i know, i know.......jeeeeeze! i'm just going to wrap black electrical tape around them, that should do it:D

·
Registered
288 Posts
I thought that was a pic of my resevoir cover :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
My lines seem stretched about as much as I'm comfortable with on my 2006. Maybe they cane be rerouted a bit, but happy with the location of helibars about 12mm below top triple.

Jeff

1 - 18 of 18 Posts